PDA

View Full Version : Vortex or Koralia?

Rogue951
11-22-2010, 07:03 AM
Considering buying a Vortex because of the programmed controller.
Would a single MP10 do the same or better than 2 Koralia nano's?

No experience with a Vortex PH aside from seeing one at J&L.

Thanks.

lorenz0
11-22-2010, 07:27 AM
MP10 will easily output the koralia nano's. What size of tank are they for?

mattdean
11-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Vortech, hands down. I replaced my Koralias with an MP20 and could not believe the difference in the QUALITY of flow. It is a a completely different type of flow. It moves a wall of random flow, not a concentrated stream. It actually creates an undertow. Mine is at the top on the end and anything on the bottom gets pulled towards the Vortech.

Spend the money. You won't regret it.

Rogue951
11-22-2010, 12:19 PM
I have a 40 gallon breeder and because it's so square the 2 nano's leave some dead spots. I have my sump return on a SCWD too, but the pump probably is on the low end of sufficient turnover.

what's the difference between the MP10wES and MP10 ES? the wireless linking function? I don't plan on more than 1 so I guess I can get the cheaper one right?

Rbacchiega
11-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Go with the vortech for sure...if you're only going with one pump just get the ES

mike31154
11-22-2010, 05:54 PM
+1 for the VorTech, and yes if you only intend on purchasing one of them you don't need the wirelesss features. This will save you a few bucks. An advantage of the VorTechs often overlooked due to the initial shock of sticker price, is the relatively low cost to upgrade the various components without having to purchase a whole new powerhead. The ES driver is easily ugraded to a W ES in the future by simply purchasing the wireless module which you can install yourself. You're not on the hook for a complete new driver.

You've seen one in action at J&L, I reckon once you decide to go for it and have it in your tank, you'll likely be looking to save up for a second MP10. With the features & options available by using two wireless pumps, there will not be a dead spot in your 40 gal square. Until you decide on a second one, you can always still supplement with your Koralias. I just don't like anything with a 120VAC power cord submerged in my system if I can help it.

EDIT: The battery back up is another feature often overlooked on these pumps. They can keep your system alive a lot longer than some AC pump on a UPS. With a little ingenuity and a few parts, you can build your own battery backup with a larger 12 Volt battery.

beefORchicken
11-22-2010, 06:31 PM
vortech. i had about three phs in my 25g before, lots of dead spots. with the mp10 i have great flow over my entire tank, better coral health and my rock is put more to use with great water movement.

don.ald
11-22-2010, 09:26 PM
my experience is MP10's can be noisy.

mike31154
11-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Sound is definitely a factor with any VorTech since the electrical motor is outside the tank, therefore no sound dampening via the water which is the case with conventional powerheads. I have no problem dealing with the sound (I don't refer to it as noise but that's just me), since VorTechs produce much better flow than anything else I've encountered. I use the night mode with my two MP40s, so the sound level drops quite a bit in the evening. The sound is most noticeable if ramping up and down from 0 to 100% power in short pulse mode. I use Tidal Swell Mode so the speed changes are more gradual and not as noticeable. If your tank is in the bedroom and sound is an issue, then yes, you probably need to rethink using VorTechs. Other than that, I found most other ambient sounds such as light fans etc. drown out the sound of my VorTechs.

mattdean
11-22-2010, 10:28 PM
I went to ridiculous lengths and expense to make my system quiet. (It's in my office/recording studio) I bought 2 Red Dragon Pumps, Bubble King Skimmer, etc. The vortech is one of the loudest things on the tank, however, I just can't replace it with anything else. the flow is just too perfect and my corals and fish are too happy to mess with it. It's the one thing that was worth having a little noise.

blacknife
11-23-2010, 12:17 AM
I just put one in my 40b. it replaced a korrila 1, 2, and nano. moves everything nice and the corals look happier after a couple days of it running. I do not think 2 would be needed in my setup. Got the wireless so that another could be added if i ever get around to upgrading my tank.

Cameron
11-23-2010, 12:25 AM
I have been debating getting a korallia or a vortech for my RSM250..

Vortech seems to be the way to go...

What size should I get?

Rogue951
11-23-2010, 01:04 AM
hahha now im having the wireless debate.
although something tells me with over 1000 gph flow at max, I should be OK in a 40 breeder with just 1 mp10.
where the best place to put it?
pointing from one side to the other?

freezetyle
11-23-2010, 02:40 AM
I have been debating getting a korallia or a vortech for my RSM250..

Vortech seems to be the way to go...

What size should I get?

go with the mp40ES and just dial down the flow. I had a mp20 full bore on a biocube 29 and my sps loved it. then you can always use it later if you upgrade

Cameron
11-24-2010, 12:30 AM
go with the mp40ES and just dial down the flow. I had a mp20 full bore on a biocube 29 and my sps loved it. then you can always use it later if you upgrade

hmmm good poiint

Rogue951
11-26-2010, 01:03 AM
Bought an MP10 for my 40 gallon breeder and currently have it sitting on the left pane of glass.
WOW what movement!
the anenome is flowing like never before, the xenia the same and the poor fish are all wondering what the hell's going on haha.