PDA

View Full Version : Again. What now.

KennyKen
11-22-2010, 12:21 AM
Now im really stumped.
I have been having all sorts of issues with certain levels or the past few months including Maintaining ALK and Mg levels, which was ultimately leading to the demise of some zoos and clams.

SO-Flash forward to last week, everything was kosher as far as i was concerened until i noticed my acans shrunk in.....and my carnation coral 1/10 of its size...
Zoo's closing up again,
Chalice's Melting
Clams dying

WTF!!!

pH 8.2
kH 9
Ca 375
Nitrates 0
salinity 1.025
phosphates 0
Mg 1400

I went out last night, came home this after noon and my favorite chalice was literally HALF melted off, in 12 hours, and my favorite clam dead.

Now i have a fractured skull from banging my head against the wall.
(not really, but you get the point)

I turned off my phosphate reactor, and am switching to bio bellets this week...
other than that i have no idea.

reefwars
11-22-2010, 12:38 AM
Now im really stumped.
I have been having all sorts of issues with certain levels or the past few months including Maintaining ALK and Mg levels, which was ultimately leading to the demise of some zoos and clams.

SO-Flash forward to last week, everything was kosher as far as i was concerened until i noticed my acans shrunk in.....and my carnation coral 1/10 of its size...
Zoo's closing up again,
Chalice's Melting
Clams dying

WTF!!!

pH 8.2
kH 9
Ca 375
Nitrates 0
salinity 1.025
phosphates 0
Mg 1400

I went out last night, came home this after noon and my favorite chalice was literally HALF melted off, in 12 hours, and my favorite clam dead.

Now i have a fractured skull from banging my head against the wall.
(not really, but you get the point)

I turned off my phosphate reactor, and am switching to bio bellets this week...
other than that i have no idea.

Have you been monitoring your temp ??:)

reefwars
11-22-2010, 12:41 AM
Also assuming amonia is 0 , how's your tanks behavior at night any unwanted creatures??:):)

KennyKen
11-22-2010, 01:00 AM
Im pretty close to positive i dont have any bad crabs. And ive never seen a bristle worm at all. And i stay up late alot and creep on the tank.

Temp has been running at 78....
but funny thing you say that because i had to turn my heater down a month or so ago cause it was running hot.
Its currently set at 73, with the tank at 78 through out the day....

sweet ride
11-22-2010, 01:27 AM
what test kit are you using? could it be possible that your test kit is giving you false reading.

how are you maintaining your ALK/CAL/MAG?

reefwars
11-22-2010, 01:38 AM
Im pretty close to positive i dont have any bad crabs. And ive never seen a bristle worm at all. And i stay up late alot and creep on the tank.

Temp has been running at 78....
but funny thing you say that because i had to turn my heater down a month or so ago cause it was running hot.
Its currently set at 73, with the tank at 78 through out the day....

with your heater set at 73 how low is your tank getting at night And what are you using for lights??:)

daniella3d
11-22-2010, 01:54 AM
My alkalinity is always low and my magnesium is not very high either and all my corals and my clam are doing well. I think there is something else involved here. You better get a controler for your temperature as it is much more reliable. I keep my temp a 76, and it used to be 75, and everything is thriving. I use a controller so the temp is stable.

sphelps
11-22-2010, 02:03 AM
I would start by verifying the basics with another source of measurement. The basics including temp, sg, and anything you dose often. Check temp in the morning and at night.

KennyKen
11-22-2010, 05:29 AM
250 mh
daytime is running at 78
at 137 am my tank is sitting at 77

I have a controller, and i have 2 diffrent thermometers, one is a probe for the controller, and one external, a degree in diffrence between them.

I have all new MG, CA and kH kits.....

And im using Kent Mg and the Ionic 2 part for dosing Calcium.........

reefwars
11-22-2010, 05:36 AM
You can run some carbon and do a hefty water change once things settle feed all your corals . Are you running a sump and skimmer??

KennyKen
11-22-2010, 05:39 AM
Yes sir, sump with a skimmer.
And like i said, i took my reactor out and will be putting pellets in this week, i mean my phosphates are zero, but i had to change the media anyways so i thought i would give it a shot.
Carbon was just changed last week as well....

Yup, water change this week too.

Other than that, im running out of idears.

reefwars
11-22-2010, 06:59 AM
Yes sir, sump with a skimmer.
And like i said, i took my reactor out and will be putting pellets in this week, i mean my phosphates are zero, but i had to change the media anyways so i thought i would give it a shot.
Carbon was just changed last week as well....

Yup, water change this week too.

Other than that, im running out of idears.

sometimes these things happen and an answer isnt to be found i mean you can probe all day but the best thing to do is do your best to stabilize things like youve done and keep an eye on things, when a tank sees too many changes it sometimes causes a hiccup and just needs to even its self out again, why your corals died could be something that happened and was back to normal when you tested ....who knows , good luck with it though and just keep on it:):)

MitchM
11-22-2010, 09:35 AM
Calcium is on the low side.

Are you using a grounding probe that's in good condition?

I wouldn't start the biopellets until you get this figured out.

Mitch

sphelps
11-22-2010, 01:28 PM
What do you use to measure SG and have you verified it? My refractometer was out of whack once and the SG was way off.

KennyKen
11-22-2010, 05:34 PM
i have 2 refractometers. both reading 1.025

KennyKen
11-23-2010, 12:38 AM
came home to my black leopard wrasse dried up behind the tank....
=(
my favorite fish and has been in there since day 1 (well after the cycle)

Neopimp
11-23-2010, 02:25 AM
Long shot... Stray Voltage?

toytech
11-23-2010, 05:25 AM
sorry bout you fish . my favorite hawk fish died today for no reason so i know how you feel. Lossing fish always sucks .

reefwars
11-23-2010, 05:47 AM
Long shot... Stray Voltage?

might not be that long of a shot def worth checking out :)