PDA

View Full Version : Heater Recommendation Please

Cliff
11-20-2010, 02:48 PM
I currently have two very old 300W heaters in my set-up. It’s a 90 gallon with a 55 gallon sump. I’ve had these two heaters in there for about 1 to 2 months now. During the past 3 days, I’ve noticed my heaters are starting to struggle to maintain a constant temp. It used to be at a pretty constant 79 F and now it’s ranging between 76.5 to 79 F. There has been no changes in the room temperature during the 2 months.

I want to up-grade my heaters with one (if possible) or two other new heaters

I’m looking for recommendations

BlueTang<3
11-20-2010, 03:09 PM
My guess is one of the heaters is not working anymore. I would recommend using 2 heaters on 2 different breakers in case something ever happened. Its pretty tough to beat an ebo jager heater they will last forever. They have 300w and i imagine larger models.

BlueWorldAquatic
11-20-2010, 03:13 PM
I would recommend either the Rena Smartheaters, or Hydor.

Stay away from the Marineland stealths, the standard stealths have issues of cracked casings allowing voltage into the water, and stealth pros have been known to actually blow up when stressed. Eventhough they have lifetime warranties, is it worth the chances?

ken - BWA

lastlight
11-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Can't go wrong with an EBO (on a controller!)

sphelps
11-20-2010, 04:16 PM
I prefer the titanium heaters, i find they heat up faster and are more durable. Plus the external temperature dial and separate temperature probe are nice features and add some extra accuracy and convenience.

A couple examples I've used before with good success:
ViaAqua Titanium Heater
Won Brothers

I would not recommend Finnex, everyone I've seen has failed.

Aquattro
11-20-2010, 04:38 PM
I've used the Won Brothers Ti heaters for years now, I'm happy with them. I also have used Ebo Jager in the past, and would recommend them. As stated, I always use 2 heaters. Neither is strong enough to over heat the tank if it fails ON, and one is enough to keep things going for a while if one fails OFF

Myka
11-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Most of my heaters are EboJager. I think you should stick to two heaters, but of smaller size. I have two 150w heaters running my 90 (+15 gal H2O in 30 gal sump).

Lance
11-20-2010, 05:07 PM
I've used the Won Brothers Ti heaters for years now, I'm happy with them. I also have used Ebo Jager in the past, and would recommend them. As stated, I always use 2 heaters. Neither is strong enough to over heat the tank if it fails ON, and one is enough to keep things going for a while if one fails OFF

+1

Cliff
11-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Thanks Everyone !!!

I'm going to look into these heaters

Good thing my tank is still cycling so I can take a day or two to find a good deal

Cliff
11-21-2010, 02:00 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Turns out one of my 300 watt heaters failed. I’ll the second one as a spare

I took the better part of yesterday looking for EBO jager, Rena Smartheaters, Hydor, and Won Brothers Ti heaters here in town. I never noticed how poor of a selection we have on our stores until I went looking. In the past I’ve used Rena Smart heaters in all of my freash water tanks, but I would have to order them in and that would take a week. I ended up getting a pair of 300W titanium heaters. I really liked the fact they won’t break like glass and they have separate controls and sensors. I found a pretty good deal on them at Bayside Corals here in town. I put them in my sump last night and they seem to be working really well, keeping the temp at a constant 79.1 to 79.3 F

Thanks the great advice everyone

sphelps
11-21-2010, 02:42 PM
The ones from bayside are ViaAqua and they work good, installed quite a few and never had a problem.

Treebeard
10-05-2012, 03:45 AM
Reviving this old thread because my heater gave it up. I understand the advantages of having two heaters, but need clarification on the watts. I have about 120 gallons of water to heat, so should I buy two heaters rated for around 60 gallons each, so if one fails I still have some heat, and conversely, if one goes full power I don't cook the tank?
Are you all still happy with the heaters you recommended?

Happy Friday!

Rogue951
10-19-2012, 02:34 AM
you may have got it already,
but JL has a heater sale and I'm thinking of picking up the 300watt titanium heater.
I only run the one 150 for my 60 gallons of water volume FWIW.
but it does come on somewhat frequently in the winter to keep it at 25 degrees.
I like cooler temps so it's always going to fight the ambient temp.

Treebeard
10-19-2012, 03:04 AM
Thanks but I picked up to 150s from J&L a couple of weeks ago.