PDA

View Full Version : Bubble Tip Anemone

htfn
11-20-2010, 05:42 AM
I have got bubble tip anemone First time in my life yesterday. Soon as I introduced into my tank, my anem went to under the live rock and it stayed there. Should I remove anem from the shadow or dose it move by itself? Any idea? Thanks

dsaundry
11-20-2010, 05:52 AM
Leave it alone, they will usually go where they want to...just make sure you dont have any powerheads or intakes to close, they have a habit of getting stuck in them, lost a rose bta just a few weeks ago....:sad:

randallino
11-20-2010, 06:21 AM
+1 I have a RBTA and its gone around piece of the live rock in a complete circle. Don't try to move it physically, I have heard that if you injure its foot that most likely it will perish.

htfn
11-20-2010, 06:45 AM
OK, I will leave it alone. And also what kind of clown goes into rbta. I am thinking to get a gold stripe maroon. is there anything peaceful clown for it?

Bloodasp
11-20-2010, 09:46 AM
Maroons can be quite agressive with the anemone. How big is the bubble tip and how big of a maroon are you getting? Percula and oscelaris are pretty good but not always a guarantee that they will host it.

htfn
11-20-2010, 02:12 PM
My anem is about 2.5inch foot, not to big one, so I have to get small clown. I heard that maroon is really agressive, too but they are good with rbta.

fishoholic
11-20-2010, 02:30 PM
skunk clowns are fairly non-aggressive and they host RBTA's, also I have found skunk clowns to host with anemones fairly quickly.

ponokareefer
11-20-2010, 04:02 PM
My ORA skunk clowns went immediately to my RBTA. My captive raised ocellaris wouldn't even look at it. And yes, maroons get very aggressive as they get bigger. It can be very hit and miss with clownfish accepting anemones sometimes just to give you a head's up, especially when they are not wild caught.

kevNnic
11-20-2010, 04:33 PM
my two bubble tips tend to do whatever the hell they want, right now my smaller one decided to park its self right in my bright pink paly! bastard! my clowns love both of mine btw.

randallino
11-20-2010, 05:52 PM
Both of my ORA ocellaris don't even notice that RBTA is there. They're hosting beside the wavebox! :confused:

Sebae again
11-20-2010, 07:21 PM
Anemones love light. It will come around to where there is more light. I have good luck with skunk,true perc. and sebae clowns. See if you can find a store that has a clownfish hosting in an anenome already.

mike31154
11-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Since your anemone is very new to the system, the best thing to do at the moment is keep an eye on it, as far as that is possible with it in the shadow of a live rock. It needs to acclimate from the conditions it was in to your system. This will include water conditions as well as lighting.

I've had a BTA for a number of years now, probably added it to the tank before I should have, but it has not only survived, but split not too long ago. It was bubbly and fairly bleached when I purchased it, now the three I have are nicely coloured and all have rather long stringy tentacles. They host a Maroon Clownfish pair that is actively breeding. Maroons are natural species to host in BTAs by the way. Somehow I managed to luck in and my female is not as aggressive as others I've read about. She's fairly ok with me poking around in the tank whereas I've read some have drawn blood of their keepers whenever a hand presents itself. It really depends on each individual fish I reckon, but I really enjoy my Maroon pair and would likely keep them even if the female was a beast.

There have been a few harrowing incidents with the BTA over the years, one of them similar to your experience where it moved behind the rock work. This inexplicably happened well over a year after I placed it on a rock that I though was a fine spot. The first Maroon was already in the tank at the time, but took a few weeks to get in there. As mentioned the nem stayed put there for the longest time until making that weird move a long time later. I could barely see it but after over a month, could tell it was bleaching where it was. Rather than try to pry it lose I ended up turning the rock it was on, ending up in the inevitable major rescape, grrr. It worked though and it's stayed put since then, moving only slightly to allow room for the three clones that split off. I traded one of the clones a while back at a Kamloops frag swap.

To get back to your situation, if it's still in the shadows after a week or so and maybe a water change or two, you may want to try and move it to a better location. Aside from the necessity for good light, most BTAs will prefer a bit of a hollow spot in the rock where they can anchor their foot with some protection and stretch out from that.

Here are links to a couple of threads I started regarding my BTA. You might find them useful or of interest.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45902

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=54984

htfn
11-21-2010, 06:46 AM
Thanks for your informations. In this morning, I could see a little bit stringy tentacles (when I got this at LFS, it was beautiful bubbly tentacles) and when I got back to home tonight, I guss that went to deeper and could not see any more. I will wait few more days and do water change then if nothing change, I will move LR and put it some where I can see. The clown fish, I realy like maroon but I also like peaceful clown, but I think, I have to deal with my rbts problem first. Finding Anemone

randallino
11-21-2010, 04:03 PM
hftn FYI:http://www.karensroseanemones.net/

htfn
11-22-2010, 02:43 AM
Day3, This morning I found rbta in the shadow again, and it was open but not bubbly. I was away from my home about 2hrs in this afternoon and I checked rbta, It was still at same spot but it was fully shrinking. And it starts to come back again at dinner time, well I guss that is still adjusting the condition but it dose not good for my heart.

mike31154
11-22-2010, 05:28 PM
Hang in there, as anemones go, BTAs are among the more tolerant & hardy. How is the 'mouth', generally closed tightly or gaping open much of the time? Is it possible to post some photos?

htfn
11-22-2010, 09:07 PM
the mouth was slightly open, but was close yesterday. I cant see it today, yet, but check the foot and it looks like attached to lr and tentacles open up a little bit, so its a good sign. I will try to take a pic by i phone.

Nebthet
11-22-2010, 09:26 PM
When I first got my bta he hid in a crevise for a couple of days then one night after he got used to my system it decided to move up and over onto my maxima clams shell and it has stayed there since.

When the actinic lights are on, mine will have it's bubble tips, but when all the lights come on it losses it's bubble tips. This is a normal thing and nothing to worry about.
Mine is happy at about mid level in my tank where it finds the lighting just fine. If yours finds where it is too dark it will move.

htfn
11-23-2010, 02:30 AM
I try to post some pics but I just cant figure out. Anyway, when aqutinic lights came on rbta was still open and some of the tentacles are bubblish shape, and when MH came on then it starts to close. Now it is completely close, took about 4hrs.

Nebthet
11-23-2010, 02:35 AM
You need to upload your picture to an online photo hosting site like photobucket in order for us to see it.

htfn
11-23-2010, 03:33 AM
Ah, I still have a technical problem to cut the pic's size down. I took some pics by iphone, and they are more than 600x600 pixels.

mike31154
11-23-2010, 04:00 AM
Sounds like it's starting to come around. While you're sorting out the photo issue, why not give us a few more details on your system. Size, lighting, livestock and maybe how long it's been up & running.

htfn
11-23-2010, 06:01 AM
My tank is 90g, 33g sump and a tiny 2.5g refugium, and my lighting system is two 175MH and four T5 with 2 blue and 2 purple, but I am going to change to 8x54w T5 fixture in the future. I am thinking to get Aqua Medic Ocean Light or two 4x54w Fishneedit fixture. I have not decided yet. I find these are not expencive and do a good job. My livestock are banded pipefish, yellow tang, 6 line wrasse and bangaii cardinal. I lost few fishes due to the ich and finally ended up my battle. I also have mixed reef. And my tank is only 4mo old, however I just conbined 40g soft coral tank and 20g SPS and LPS tank together, so tank is new but everything else is 2 to 3 yrs old.
Anyway my MH tuned off and I checked bta then it starts to open again and the mouth is looks really tight and can see white thunderling ish line around the mouth, so looks good sign. I guss that is still in the adjusting procedure. Hopefully, it comes up to front and show me beautifull rose bubbely tentacles then I will get a pair of clowns.

dsaundry
11-23-2010, 03:10 PM
I have a gbta that disappeared for over 2 weeks, saw a small glimpse of it a day or so ago, now its in a perfect spot and opened up and seems quite happy....it will probably move again because I love where it ended up:lol: just to tick me off....

kevNnic
11-23-2010, 06:28 PM
they never stay where you want them. lol thats why i have two! one is ususally in sight.

htfn
11-24-2010, 03:37 AM
well, I still have a pics issue and I give up to post them. Anyway my rbta is doing exactly same and it seems to be starting to shrinking same as yesterday. I am now pretty sure when MH turn off and it will start to open again. I will continue to keep the eye on it.

htfn
11-25-2010, 05:28 AM
Still waiting to come out. It has been like this for a week.

htfn
11-26-2010, 06:48 AM
Today, I found anemone was doing poop, and I never feed to this guy, but at least he/she is eating something, I guss that is doing good.

Magma
11-26-2010, 03:44 PM
did he come out yet?

htfn
11-26-2010, 06:01 PM
No, It is still at some spot and doing something over and over, exept poop.

htfn
11-27-2010, 06:32 AM
Day 8 I guss
Today, It was a little bit change for me. It looks like move about 1" up to the other LR.
I just cant wait to see it come out and get clownfish for my daughter.

htfn
11-29-2010, 04:47 AM
Day 10
Finally my rbta come out side of under the LR and has got a lots of lighting. It open up bubbly form, it sure beautiful anemone and I am really happy. I will wait few more weeks and get clownfish. Thanks everyone who gave me your experience and knowledge.

Magma
11-29-2010, 05:00 AM
hopefully you can sort out the picture problem and show us the little guy :D

Sebae again
11-29-2010, 06:27 AM
To help keep mine in place from wandering around,I feed it every few days.