PDA

View Full Version : anyone know about royal gramma and japanese basslet compatibility?

christyf5
11-19-2010, 01:18 AM
180gal tank in which my 4 year old royal gramma is currently residing. The LFS here just got in a beautiful "japanese basslet" which I'm thinking is a Liopropoma swalesi but didn't get a chance to get a really good look. I've got it on hold until I can find out about compatibility but so far haven't come up with much while googling.

Anyone have any experience with these guys together?

Myka
11-19-2010, 01:39 AM
Japanese Basslet should be L. collettei. I'm not sure how they get on with Grammas, but I'm going to suggest probably not well. I say try it, and if it doesn't work, find a new home for the Royal Gramma since the Liopropoma is a nice fish! :D All kidding aside, I have been getting good results allowing new fish to acclimate to water parameters and get them eating while keeping them in my sump. Once they are relaxed there I will introduce into display tank.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Dp2Dd4Y_YuE/SNbVnrVYqqI/AAAAAAAAAWg/Pg4-LxSVz08/s400/Blog+Liopropoma+colletti.jpg

If it is L. swalesi or Swale's Basslet, even better! ;)
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSR7GHi6ysQhAXXR0Zi1Kq2hRHqShTi4 rCvpbj3kDP3bGAJVi3n

christyf5
11-19-2010, 02:02 AM
Yeah I did look up the latin name of the japanese basslet but it doesn't look like that at all in the tank and came in with that name which really doesn't mean anything if you've seen a lot of LFS fish lists. It does have a brighter orangy coloring which makes me lean more towards the swalesi but I'd have to go back and have a really good look at it at the store. I'm pretty partial to my gramma so likely this probably won't work out anyways and I'd hate to have my gramma go to town on a beautiful and pricey fish :neutral:

Myka
11-19-2010, 03:14 AM
Whichever specie it is, Liopropomas seem to have similar dispositions as an Orchid Dottyback in my limited experience. I guess you've had the Gramma awhile so you're all attached n stuff. :p Lios are pretty cool fish though.

gobytron
11-19-2010, 02:20 PM
I keep a harem of 4 grammas along with a swissguard basslet in my 95 gallon...

there is no aggression between any of the grammas and the swissguard.

they are far from conspecific and most of these types of basslets are deep water species so they are usually in the dark corner of aquariums or hiding under overhangs/caves while the grammas generally stay out in the water column unless nesting.

If this is regarding your 180, these fish will likely ignore each other.

christyf5
11-19-2010, 03:29 PM
I keep a harem of 4 grammas along with a swissguard basslet in my 95 gallon...

there is no aggression between any of the grammas and the swissguard.

they are far from conspecific and most of these types of basslets are deep water species so they are usually in the dark corner of aquariums or hiding under overhangs/caves while the grammas generally stay out in the water column unless nesting.

If this is regarding your 180, these fish will likely ignore each other.

LOL now I'm on the fence again!! :razz: I'm thinking the tank will likely be big enough but now I've been reading that these fish are pretty cryptic and being from fairly deep depths likely won't appreciate the amount of light on my tank. Ugh! DILEMMA!! I do have a fair amount of caves and overhangs and such though so he should feel quite at home in that aspect. I guess I have some things to think about today.

Thanks for the info Gobytron...a harem of royal grammas eh? What I wouldn't give to try that out *sigh* :biggrin:

gobytron
11-19-2010, 04:00 PM
the key to my 95 is a plethora of caves and overhangs, some clear to the viewer, some completely hidden...

this gives all my fish, who are almost all basslets, an adequate place to feel safe, secure and in the grammas case, build nests...

I get an unbelieveable amount of value back from my grammas, incredible how different their behaviour is with a harem versus a single or even pair of them.

when the male builds his nest for each individual female, each in turn, its amazing to watch.

In my experience, you should have no problem with these fish, particularily if you have caves and overhangs aplenty.

naesco
11-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Gobytron, you have a really interesting fish stock in your tank.

Christie for what it is worth IMO you have a really large tank that will keep them apart. Just make sure you add the new fish in the dark so there is no immediate aggression.

If it were just one basslet and one royal gramma and you had a smaller tank it would not be advised unless you did what gobytron has done.

gobytron
11-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Gobytron, you have a really interesting fish stock in your tank.

Christie for what it is worth IMO you have a really large tank that will keep them apart. Just make sure you add the new fish in the dark so there is no immediate aggression.

If it were just one basslet and one royal gramma and you had a smaller tank it would not be advised unless you did what gobytron has done.

I tend to hold a higher value in the hands on hobbyists experience with reefing rather than the generally accepted general know how...

I should update my signature, as I know have 2 yellow assessors in there rather than 1.