PDA

View Full Version : Free Fish, but I need help

globaldesigns
11-18-2010, 07:29 PM
K, I want to thin out the herd a bit, but my problem is that I am not prepared to remove any aquascaping or coral to do so.

If anyone is interested, I would really like some help catching these fish, don't know with what, but I am guessing a fish trap. So if you have a fish trap, and can help, I would appreciate it.

I am looking at removing:
- approx 4 inch maroon clown
- approx 8-9 inch fox face
- approx 5-6 inch 2 barred rabbitfish
- some dumb bi-colored chromis

I have tried off & on over some time to catch them with nets, but either I am just slow, or they are just much smarter than me.... :biggrin:

For the effort, if we can catch them, you can have them or part of. Just a way of saying thanks for the help. That is one of 2 conditions, the second is of course they have to go into an appropriate tank.

Thanks everyone for reading this, if you can offer help, it would be appreciated. This also goes for LFS, if you can help, you can have them to resell. All fish are healthy, fat and full of life.

I also have a couple nice clams, one is about 3-4 inches and blue with flourescent light blue tones, the other is 6-8 inches in length with browns/greens/tans, etc (very nice pattern)... I am not looking at giving them away, but would like to get what I paid for them. Small one was $60, larger one was $80... If anyone is interested, I would like to make room in the tank. But remember I won't give away so pricing is firm. SOLD

daniella3d
11-18-2010, 08:09 PM
Have you tried putting everything in pitch black and using a small red emiiting light? Supposed the fish don,t see red wavelength. I tried it to catch my yellow tang and it worked well.

It has to be pitch black and it is best done with a small red LED type of light.

reefwars
11-18-2010, 08:13 PM
try taking pieces of eggcrate and blocking off all tunnels cover any escape you can , makes catching the ones who like to hide behind the rockwork alot easier.worked like a charm for me:):)

globaldesigns
11-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Great couple of ideas, never heard of the red light... Now I have to find one of those, will research and look into that.

Egg crate might bo tough, I have alot of LR, alot of tunnels, and it may be too difficult to actually make that work.

I have even considered fishing, but can't bring myself to do that, as it does cause damage. to fish... and the struggle when they get hooked, may damage rockwork, coral and other things.

Jackie
11-18-2010, 09:34 PM
I like turning on all lights when fishes are sleeping.
They are so confused and takes no time to catch them.

lastlight
11-18-2010, 10:15 PM
I just take a bunch of clean plastic bags and crumple them into balls and fill all the nooks and crannies under the rocks then it's much easier.

reefwars
11-18-2010, 11:25 PM
I just take a bunch of clean plastic bags and crumple them into balls and fill all the nooks and crannies under the rocks then it's much easier.

That's a great idea too :)

Delphinus
11-19-2010, 12:04 AM
Is that a doliatus rabbit Rick?????

Myka
11-19-2010, 12:08 AM
If the room is really dark, and you get up at 3am and turn the lights on you will have about 2-5 minutes before they wake up out of their stun. :lol:

Lance
11-19-2010, 12:50 AM
Stick a post-it on the tank: "Who wants to go for a swim in Catherine's new 450g tank?" Then get the bag and water ready. They will jump right in for you.

Marlin65
11-19-2010, 12:51 AM
Large jar with some food.
I tried to catch a crab out of my tank and my fish went into the jar to have a feast.
My hawk just stayed there all day.LOL

globaldesigns
11-19-2010, 01:39 AM
That's a great idea too :)

I agree, a truely great idea!

Red Coral Aquariums
11-19-2010, 01:53 AM
I have a aqua medic fish trap that I lend out.
LMK
Kevin

The Grizz
11-19-2010, 05:09 AM
Hey Rick I would take the clams if you are able to wait until the end of the month when I get a free day to come down? Let me know?

michika
11-19-2010, 05:59 PM
If you want the red light, you can get one for like $5 at Mountain Equipment Co-Op downtown. They're in the bike section, and they're handheld lights with an elastic strap. I've used them before and they're great for tank use, they come in white and red lights.

Palmer
11-22-2010, 04:03 PM
If the room is really dark, and you get up at 3am and turn the lights on you will have about 2-5 minutes before they wake up out of their stun. :lol:

That sounds like the "Alien abduction" method :lol:

Wayne
11-23-2010, 02:41 AM
That sounds like the "Alien abduction" method :lol:

LOL I was thinking the same thing but was to embarassed to write it! :lol:

The Grizz
11-23-2010, 04:24 AM
BIG shout out to Tony, THANKS DUDE., you know why:biggrin::biggrin:

Delphinus
11-23-2010, 06:51 AM
:lol: Happy to oblige. :cool:

globaldesigns
11-23-2010, 04:19 PM
I guess I should post that the clams are going to a happy home in Red Deer. Congrats Greg/Grizz