PDA

View Full Version : Green Hairy Mushroom -- Toxic?

Chad
12-10-2003, 05:05 AM
Hey,

OK, I was moving my rocks and I forgot that my GHM attached itself to another rock as well as the one I was moving.. I dropped it and it tore it in half.. my question how bad is this for the tank?? I changed the carbon in my filter and add some extra... Is this going to be enough?

Thanks everyone

Chad

Mak
12-10-2003, 05:29 AM
I would't worry too much about it, as I have done the same in my 20g without any sign of ill effects. I wouldn't doubt them being somewhat toxic though.

Chad
12-10-2003, 05:33 AM
I would't worry too much about it, as I have done the same in my 20g without any sign of ill effects. I wouldn't doubt them being somewhat toxic though.

Well, lets hope.. I will be watching it for the rest of the night.. worries me even more knowing our order is in tomorrow.

Chad

Mak
12-10-2003, 05:41 AM
Hehe, make'n room for tommorow eh??? :cool: :mrgreen: . Maybe do a water change if your worried.

Chad
12-10-2003, 05:49 AM
I don't have any water ready.. Well I do but the SG is not the same as the tank... I'm not "freaking" out.. almost tho :eek: hehe, never had this happen before so I have no experience with it

Chad

Aquattro
12-10-2003, 05:51 AM
Chad, it's fine. I've cut them n half before and nothing noticed. Except the mushroom :razz:

Chad
12-10-2003, 05:53 AM
Chad, it's fine. I've cut them n half before and nothing noticed. Except the mushroom :razz:

yeah. I am starting to "calm" down. I wasn't planning on renovating but catching two fish will do that to you I guess.. damn things..

Thanks

Chad

Bob I
12-10-2003, 03:16 PM
I tore a couple out of my tank to give away. They were about six inches across. There were some bits left on the rock. To make a long story short, the bits simply regrew into new mushrooms. I guess the only way to get rid of them altogether is to remove the rock. :rolleyes:

Chad
12-10-2003, 04:36 PM
I tore a couple out of my tank to give away. They were about six inches across. There were some bits left on the rock. To make a long story short, the bits simply regrew into new mushrooms. I guess the only way to get rid of them altogether is to remove the rock. :rolleyes:

Well, it wasn't just "bits" tho.. I litteraly tore one right in half.. its mouth split and all.. :frown:

As of this morning all looks fine.. tho my Blastomusa(sp) got hit my some stingers it seems.. part of a few of them have their skeleton showing?? ugh.. one thing after another..

Chad

BCOrchidGuy
12-10-2003, 06:14 PM
Chad it's my understanding that cutting them in half, including the mouth is the quickest way to propagate them. You may just have stumbled onto a mistake you want to make again and again.

My understanding is that Ricordia doesn't respond well to this method though.

Doug
ps.. please note the "my understanding" part means I've never tried it myself