PDA

View Full Version : Question: Should I or shouldn't I?

globaldesigns
11-17-2010, 05:58 AM
I am running a light over my sump, over top the refuge area. Now I am just wondering if I have to? In this area I use to have cheato, but that was a long time ago, now it has a DSB (8-10 inches) with about 8-10 inches of Live Rock and LR Rubble. So this light shines on the rock/water.

now is there any benefit to me still having this light on, or am I just wasting energy. Does is still help with PH, Pod life, etc.

your views are appreciated, just wondering.

lorenz0
11-17-2010, 06:10 AM
with just LR and sand. No point.

think positive, now you will have another plug in for something else :)

Zoaelite
11-17-2010, 06:23 AM
with just LR and sand. No point.

think positive, now you will have another plug in for something else :)

+1 but that being stated I do like having a lit sump, really helps when I'm changing media or cleaning odds and ends.

lastlight
11-17-2010, 07:28 AM
Will pods inhabit rock and sand in a dark sump? Don't they thrive where there is algae?

naesco
11-17-2010, 07:54 AM
Leave the light on 24/7.
The tiny algae that the pods and other critters eat will flourish.

gobytron
11-17-2010, 02:04 PM
Leave the light on 24/7.
The tiny algae that the pods and other critters eat will flourish.

Plus, you'll wind up with much nicer LR at the end of it all, in case you ever want to sell it or switch it out/add it to your display...

globaldesigns
11-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Wow, great advice, varied but good.

So, I am gathering if I leave it on, it still has some benefits. So is it worth it? Maybe. I will leave it going for now, unless someone can give really good proof to why I am wasting power.

And yes LorenzO, it would be nice to have more plugs... I don't have any left. Unless I get rid of the Pellets. HEHE

Thanks all!

sphelps
11-17-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm not sure I see much benefit for using the light. If your goal is to grow algae then yes light is needed but algae also needs darkness so a full duty cycle isn't required or recommended. Typically 16 hours on and 8 hours off is standard.

For pods light isn't a requirement, they feed on bacteria, diatoms, and other single-celled organisms in the water. Not all of these require light to grow.

Darkness can also be beneficial, it allows for other organisms to flourish such as sponges which can serve as natural filters.

globaldesigns
11-17-2010, 04:29 PM
I'm not sure I see much benefit for using the light. If your goal is to grow algae then yes light is needed but algae also needs darkness so a full duty cycle isn't required or recommended. Typically 16 hours on and 8 hours off is standard.

For pods light isn't a requirement, they feed on bacteria, diatoms, and other single-celled organisms in the water. Not all of these require light to grow.

Darkness can also be beneficial, it allows for other organisms to flourish such as sponges which can serve as natural filters.

Thanks Sphelps,

Any others agree with him. If so, I think I can remove the light then. I am not wanting to grow algae, just left it on, really because of no reason.

lorenz0
11-17-2010, 04:29 PM
And yes LorenzO, it would be nice to have more plugs... I don't have any left. Unless I get rid of the Pellets. HEHE

that actually made me LOL

globaldesigns
11-17-2010, 04:31 PM
that actually made me LOL

Glad I made your day, thought you might chuckle about that...

Hey, just to let you know... If I don't see improvement in the next 30 days, the next step is actually removing the pellets. It will be the last straw before giving up and just going FOWLR

e46er
11-18-2010, 12:56 AM
I have a desk light strapped to the. Inside of the stand for maintaince I would always want a light under there for that
If it was me with no algae in th sump I would take it out most likely And use it as a maintaince light or if it's a specific tank light sell it and buy a $10 desk light