PDA

View Full Version : Sump ideas for my RSM250

Cameron
11-17-2010, 04:23 AM
I am looking to add a sump to my RSM250....

Ideas anyone?

Borderjumper
11-17-2010, 04:34 AM
I don't see an easy way.

Not to change the subject, but did you ever get the stock skimmer to work right? I finally gave up on mine. It sucks that the water level fluctuates so much in the chamber where the skimmer sits. I pulled mine out finally and put my tunze nano skimmer in.. It's way under rated for 65 gallon, but at least it pulls some gunk out!

Cameron
11-17-2010, 09:05 AM
I find the skimmer works great when the water level is consistent...unfortunately all the evaporation shows up in the back chambers. I have thought about adding a baffle or something...

Hence why I'm either going to add an ATO, or a Sump w/ato.

I do like the skimmer, it takes a while to break in...start with the air closed for a few days then open it every couple hours. The stuff it pulls is rancid...but I have been tempted by an in sump skimmer...

My thoughts on it are....

Adding an overflow where the evap fans are or where the current skimmer is....then the return will come back in the accessory ports on the right hand side....thoughts?

Sean
11-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Isn't there an attatchment you can buy for that? I believe its originally designed for a chiller but if you arent using it for that you could just run to a sump instead. I haven't seen a 250 in person but I was thinking of making it my next upgrade unless something better comes out. I think a sump would add a nice extra level of water quality to those tanks.

Borderjumper
11-17-2010, 03:12 PM
Isn't there an attatchment you can buy for that? I believe its originally designed for a chiller but if you arent using it for that you could just run to a sump instead. I haven't seen a 250 in person but I was thinking of making it my next upgrade unless something better comes out. I think a sump would add a nice extra level of water quality to those tanks.
That was my first thought also, but its only 1/2". I wouldn't feel safe at all running lines that small in diameter.

Borderjumper
11-17-2010, 03:16 PM
I find the skimmer works great when the water level is consistent...unfortunately all the evaporation shows up in the back chambers. I have thought about adding a baffle or something...

Hence why I'm either going to add an ATO, or a Sump w/ato.

I do like the skimmer, it takes a while to break in...start with the air closed for a few days then open it every couple hours. The stuff it pulls is rancid...but I have been tempted by an in sump skimmer...

My thoughts on it are....

Adding an overflow where the evap fans are or where the current skimmer is....then the return will come back in the accessory ports on the right hand side....thoughts?

I think I'm going to hook up a tunze auto top off. I will put the sensors in the skimmer chamber and the freshwater tank inside the stand, or in a tall vase next to the stand. This will keep the water level stable in that chamber.

spawn
11-17-2010, 04:14 PM
I've often wanted to run a sump on my setup but everyone seems to think it'll be to hard or risky to setup.I run a tunze ATO through the hole for the accessory plumbing. It keeps the water level perfect in DT. as well as in all of the rear chambers. I still also use just the stock skimmer and it seems to do the job. The sludge it pulls out of the tank is like a thick cake icing consistency, I've found that the water level has to be about as high as you can get it. My setup was started on May 9 2010, I started vodka dosing Oct. 25 due to a spike in No3 likely due to eccesive coral feeding. I've changed a bit more rock work No3 is now down from 20ppm -5ppm on a sps dominated setup. Will try and get some new shots up later tonight or minyanna. IMO the stock system works quite well with floss beneath the inside of your weir to keep stuff from being picked up by your skimmer.

spawn
11-17-2010, 04:17 PM
P.S. the nitrates had always been @ 0 prior to mid oct. I know My impatience for growth led to the spike. If anyone has practical ideas on how to setup a reactor with bio pellets please post.

Sean
11-17-2010, 05:11 PM
I'm with you on that mistake Spawn, the stuff I used was for larger aquariums and I got a little excited to see my coral puff up around feeding time. :)

Cameron
11-18-2010, 04:34 AM
I do have bio pellets running on mine...

What do you mean you have floss running below the weir?

spawn
11-18-2010, 08:51 PM
If you remove your skimmer collection cup, cut two pieces of floss one large one for the left side & about 1/2 that size for the right, kinda tightly wedge them in under the weir to the back & side glass effectively catching all debris that pass through the weir. It'll clean up particulate from your water column & limit the amount of future maintenance you have in terms of cleaning in the sump portion of the stock setup & give you better function on the stock skimmer. It works well. Now How did you hook up the reactor for those pellets, Pics would be awesome.

Cameron
11-19-2010, 02:04 AM
PIcs will come.

I have thought about adding rubble/crushed coral to the left chamber to promote pods population....thoughts?

spawn
11-19-2010, 04:31 AM
The bio media in that chamber is for surface area for the bacteria to grow on, but Iknow that there are pods living in mine rock would probably be better. I've got 70lbs in the DT already with 45lbs of sand so I've got pods. I've seen em swimmin, If i don't clean the glass for 4 days their all over it as well. GOT PODS?

Cameron
11-19-2010, 07:19 AM
are you using the carbon and bio media in the back?

spawn
11-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Yes. I run 2 bags of the chemi pure elite & 1 bag of purigen.

Borderjumper
11-19-2010, 06:42 PM
I'm just running bags of live rock rubble in the back.

spawn
11-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Here is a couple of shots of my tank this morn. again this is my first saltwater setup & it is 6 Months old started on May 9 2010. I think things are going pretty good so far. I run an ozmolator, 1 Koralia 3, 1 Koralia 4, 1 ecotech voretech Mp10w, & the 2 stock pumps with the stock skimmer. Parameters
Sal. 1.026
Ca 420
Mg. 1300-1350
No 3 5-10 ppm & dropping http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae199/spawn26/nov19tank003.jpg
http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae199/spawn26/nov19tank002.jpg
Sorry about the shyte picture quality. I can't figure out how to get a decent pic. with my camera. It's an Olympus Stylus Tough & IMO the worst P.O.S. camera I have ever had. But you can take it diving to 33ft.

Cameron
11-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Great tank.

Where is your other korallia? How do you keep your sand so white?