PDA

View Full Version : Buyer Beware: Big Al's Calgary

globaldesigns
11-16-2010, 10:28 PM
I hope this doesn't upset anyone, but I am posting a very bad experience with Big Al's in Calgary.

Yesterday I bought a SWC 160 cone skimmer to play with. Shame on me, as I didn't research price until I got home, but I paid $100 more than any other retailer in Canada. Now taking into consideration the shipping costs to a retailer and overhead (I estimate about $40 for this), I got taken for about $60 more than I should have. SWC is in Winnipeg, and I can even buy it off them for $100 less, then plus shipping.

I just got off the phone with the Manager of the store front. I was just asking to credit me back the difference, minus the shipping costs (not the full $100, but expected at least $50-60, I thought that to be reasonable)... But they won't, and because it is in water I am hooped. The only way I get the whole thing back, is if I take the time to order from SWC, or Oceanic or whomever, and take them the new in box, for them to refund me in full with... NOW THAT IS JUST SILLY, and my time is worth something as well, and the principle of things. I use to run retail outlets, and I just think this solution was just plain silly.

So, They will give me a $25 dollar store credit, so I am going in tomorrow to use that right away on food, and won't ever set foot back in that place.

I have always commented on their over priced products, but noticed they were more in-line with their online pricing now. This wasn't the case in the past. So shame on me for not researching before buying, but I just want to warn others, make sure you know what you want and what it costs, so you don't get taken, as I did.

On a side note, after not even a day, the skimmer is working... So I can say YIPPEEEE, but everything else.... BOOOHOOOO!

paddyob
11-16-2010, 10:31 PM
They won't even price match their online prices.

As for being in water. One day.... should be clean as a whistle. Dry it off and shine it up. Play dumb "it was never used" and see what happens. I did once :twised:

globaldesigns
11-16-2010, 10:33 PM
They won't even price match their online prices.

As for being in water. One day.... should be clean as a whistle. Dry it off and shine it up. Play dumb "it was never used" and see what happens. I did once :twised:

I am honest, and told them it was in water... If they wanted, they could figure it out...

If you can't sell it and be competitive, then you shouldn't be selling it. Or maybe they are just plain gready, and making 40 points on a product. I wish I made that type of profit on my product/services I sell.

globaldesigns
11-16-2010, 10:35 PM
I hope they read this, as I know some of the guys there are on Canreef.

You gotta figure how much can they lose overall, as people read this, and all I asked for is a reasonable refund on an amount to sell it to me at market value.

Some store fronts just don't get it!

spawn
11-16-2010, 10:49 PM
Hey, not only are their prices high on alot of stuff, I kinda thought you may perhaps mention the fact that Big Al's seem's to think breeding flatworms in all of their tanks is good for business.
Just an added point for all of the newbie's who may be reading this. Now of course you should be dipping, however I would personally never do more than look at anything @ Big Al's except for carbon or something incase of emergency.

untamed
11-16-2010, 11:05 PM
I have no particular love for Big Al's, but I respect that any retailer can choose to sell something for whatever they wish. If you bought it...and it isn't defective in any way...how do you figure they owe you anything?

Do they have a stated policy that they will match any lower price you find?

You want to give it back to them after you've used it? What are they supposed to do with it after that?

Express your objection by not purchasing other things from them....but I don't see that they've treated you badly in any way.

Borderjumper
11-16-2010, 11:21 PM
I have no particular love for Big Al's, but I respect that any retailer can choose to sell something for whatever they wish. If you bought it...and it isn't defective in any way...how do you figure they owe you anything?

Do they have a stated policy that they will match any lower price you find?

You want to give it back to them after you've used it? What are they supposed to do with it after that?

Express your objection by not purchasing other things from them....but I don't see that they've treated you badly in any way.

I agree.. No one twisted your arm to buy the skimmer and as you stated, you should have done your homework before buying it.

They set a price and you agreed to it when you bought the product.

lastlight
11-16-2010, 11:28 PM
I've never been a fan of the store but yeah I agree you shop around or you don't complain later.

blacknife
11-16-2010, 11:45 PM
in Ed some of their common livestock and supplies are cheaper than the other stores, anything fancy is equal or greater cost. but hey if you just paid XXX to much for your brand spanking new setup why not fill it up with as many cheap fish as you can right?

at least a few of them will live

Bloodasp
11-16-2010, 11:57 PM
Actually I think they do have that policy of matching lowest prices. Not sure if there is a policy of returning a refund though after you bought it and found out it was cheaper elsewhere.

Reef-Geek
11-17-2010, 12:21 AM
I always wonder why a store sells (way)overpriced items can still exist for years...

Bloodasp
11-17-2010, 12:30 AM
Well as long as somebody keeps buying at that price they will keep selling it. They do say they'll beat the lowest price but not everyone shops around to look for something cheaper. I for one only knew of 2 stores that sold saltwater stuff in calgary before I started, and I've bought heck of a lot from them before I found out about cheaper places to buy.

paddyob
11-17-2010, 12:35 AM
Actually I think they do have that policy of matching lowest prices. Not sure if there is a policy of returning a refund though after you bought it and found out it was cheaper elsewhere.

I don't know if they do match.... as I mentioned earlier... They had a wicked sale online... but refused to match the price in store.... ON THEIR OWN WEBSITE!!!!!!!

e46er
11-17-2010, 12:46 AM
Yesterday I bought a SWC 160 cone skimmer to play with. Shame on me, as I didn't research price until I got home, but I paid $100 more than any other retailer in Canada.

so you admit you didnt do any research on a product and you are upset that you overpaid after you went to a store you claimed was "expensive" to begin with.... im so lost as to why the store owes you anything?
theres a sucker born everyday i guess it was you that day.
you should have researched what you were buying, laziness is expensive you learned your lesson and dont go back there.

Zoaelite
11-17-2010, 01:27 AM
Ryan @ Big Al's has been great to me every time I walk in there, I think you just have to understand that it's a major chain store so you are at there mercy.

That being said the $60.00 you were seeking was appeased with a $25.00 credit, that means your trying to drag someones name through the mud for $35.00. I personally think that's a little over the top but we all have to pinch pennies somewhere.

globaldesigns
11-17-2010, 01:30 AM
so you admit you didnt do any research on a product and you are upset that you overpaid after you went to a store you claimed was "expensive" to begin with.... im so lost as to why the store owes you anything?
theres a sucker born everyday i guess it was you that day.
you should have researched what you were buying, laziness is expensive you learned your lesson and dont go back there.

Wow, what an attack on me!!!

I guess that you haven't ever worked retail, or owned a business that provides good or services. I can say I have and still do.

Anyways, they do advertise price matching, even after purchase, but try to get them to honor it. They don't!!!! Especially for anything online.

Also, how can any business, sell a product for $100 more than what everyone else does, even the manufacturer... That is just bad business, and thus the reason I am telling you. If you don't care to listen to my comments, then please go to Big Al's and get ripped off. I REALLY DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK, AND FIND YOUR COMMENTS IGNORANT!!! So P I S S OFF!!

globaldesigns
11-17-2010, 01:38 AM
Ryan @ Big Al's has been great to me every time I walk in there, I think you just have to understand that it's a major chain store so you are at there mercy.

That being said the $60.00 you were seeking was appeased with a $25.00 credit, that means your trying to drag someones name through the mud for $35.00. I personally think that's a little over the top but we all have to pinch pennies somewhere.

Actually its not dragging someones name through the mud, I am actually giving them the benefit of overhead/shipping and making it $60... If we want to be picky, they would actually owe me more, if we want to call it that.

I actually probably won't even go back for the credit. Just isn't worth it... Remember, realistically $25 of overpriced food, really probably is only $10 out of their pocket, so they are not even giving me $25. If that is the case, then give me it in cash, then it is worth $25.

Oh well, just wanted to tell people to watch out, and guess what happens as normal on this forum. People hide behind the wall of anomynity and bash. Come on people!!!

All I can say as a business owner that actually resells my services. If my reseller was to sell to their customers at 30% higher pricing than what I am at, and that customer finds out, then wouldn't that customer feel ripped off? Yes they would! This is why I offer significant discounts to my reseller, to enable them to make a buck and sell it at the same pricing to their customers as listed on my website. The goal here is to make everyone happy and no ripping anyone off. Now saying that, don't you think SWC operates the same way? yes they do! so that just means that the pricing Big Al's charged me is plain ole gouging.

kien
11-17-2010, 01:41 AM
I have often found myself in a pinch and have needed something at say.. 8:55pm at night :redface: Big Al's has always come through for me in that regard :) Or, sometimes I'm out running errands and if I happen to find myself in that neck of the woods and I realize I need something, Big Al's usually comes through once again.

If I don't want to buy something from there for whatever reason (price, etc), that's totally up to me and not anyone else, including the store. If I come home with something and then find it for cheaper somewhere else, well that's my bad for not shopping around or being impatient.

</two-cents>

globaldesigns
11-17-2010, 01:45 AM
Lastly, yes I already stated I didn't realize the price was that much higher. So there is no need for further ignorant comments. I am the first to omit my mistake.

This thread was to detail my experience, The Good The Bad and The Ugly. Take it how you want to.

If I save someone from spending too much on a product at Big Al's then I did my job, that is all I am trying to do. Don't read anything else into it!

kien
11-17-2010, 01:51 AM
Lastly, yes I already stated I didn't realize the price was that much higher. So there is no need for further ignorant comments. I am the first to omit my mistake.

This thread was to detail my experience, The Good The Bad and The Ugly. Take it how you want to.

If I save someone from spending too much on a product at Big Al's then I did my job, that is all I am trying to do. Don't read anything else into it!

well, the thread title says, Beware of Big Al's in Calgary!! We all know Big Al's doesn't have the best reputation, but I'm not sure if this is a good example in that regard. I don't see that they did anything wrong to warrant this, but that's just my opinion and if you are going to post something on public forum then you are going to get opinions, the good the bad and the ugly :razz:

globaldesigns
11-17-2010, 01:54 AM
well, the thread title says, Beware of Big Al's in Calgary!! We all know Big Al's doesn't have the best reputation, but I'm not sure if this is a good example in that regard. I don't see that they did anything wrong to warrant this, but that's just my opinion and if you are going to post something on public forum then you are going to get opinions, the good the bad and the ugly :razz:

So True and I respect your comments.

What I am kinda fed up with are the lurkers, and some individuals that leave comments while being just plain disrespectful. Why?

Maybe I just shouldn't of posted, but too late now... Oh Well, just wanted to tell others in order to save them possible hassles or cost. In my case, $100 overage won't break me, and I really don't care about the money. But as a successful business owner that cares, is the reason I posted. I guess it is too bad many business' don't have the same business practices and care for the customer. I can say I do!

kien
11-17-2010, 01:57 AM
So True and I respect your comments.

What I am kinda fed up with are the lurkers, and some individuals that leave comments while being just plain disrespectful. Why?

That's because they are poo poo heads, and that's not just an opinion. I know this for a fact!! :lol:

globaldesigns
11-17-2010, 02:00 AM
That's because they are poo poo heads, and that's not just an opinion. I know this for a fact!! :lol:

HEHE, I agree... At least this thread is giving me alot more posts. Hmmm, maybe I should find that other thread about post padding, to get some more.

BlueTang<3
11-17-2010, 02:12 AM
Ryan @ Big Al's has been great to me every time I walk in there.

+1 you guys are lucky you don't have to deal with big als edmonton. The edmonton branch makes the calgary one look outstanding. Some of my nicest fish and coral in my tank came from the calgary location. The last few times i have made the trip down it has been the store that i picked the most up at and Ryan was awesome to deal with.

globaldesigns
11-17-2010, 02:14 AM
Hey, how do you change the thread title, I changed it on advanced options on my first post, but the thread title doesn't reflect it. Just wanted to change it to something people wouldn't take and bastardize it.

Any ideas, why it didn't change?

+1, I can say Ryan and Kent are great guys at the Calgary Store, it is just too bad they work for a company that in my opinion doesn't care about long term customer business.

Here is my plug for Kevin @ Red Coral, who in my opinion does care and offers truely fair pricing. Sorry Kevin, this was a impulse buy, and I should of supported you as I always try to. Live and learn. Lesson here folks is to support the ones that support you back!

jorjef
11-17-2010, 02:37 AM
Holy Moly, that was quite the stoning you got there. I respect that you are anhonest guy but for the amount on time it was in the water would have been best to rinse her off, wipe here, wipe there and return saying it wouldn't suit your needs, only fibbing by omission.

There are lots of examples of drastic price differences in Regina....500ML of Prime conditioner $29.95 vs. $19.95....Plain ole pail of IO salt $79.00 vs. $39.00....

globaldesigns
11-17-2010, 02:41 AM
Holy Moly, that was quite the stoning you got there. I respect that you are anhonest guy but for the amount on time it was in the water would have been best to rinse her off, wipe here, wipe there and return saying it wouldn't suit your needs, only fibbing by omission.

There are lots of examples of drastic price differences in Regina....500ML of Prime conditioner $29.95 vs. $19.95....Plain ole pail of IO salt $79.00 vs. $39.00....

HEHE, I know... got a steak on my black eyes from all of this. Head is still spinning.

I know I should of just wiped it down and returned. But again, I would think a business would respect an honest customer. That is what I am... I didn't lie, but again live and learn. Next time, maybe I won't be so honest.

I think what business' fail to remember is that without us, they are nothing. I myself have customers going back 20 years, this is because I try... Just 20 minutes ago, I got an email from a customer that I lost, but the email stated for me to call them in the morning as they want to come back. It feels good when customers realize that as a business owner I do care. Too bad many business', not just LFS's don't think this way.

intarsiabox
11-17-2010, 03:14 AM
I rarely get anything from the retail stores but I don't mind shopping Big Al's online. I always refer them to JL's website and they beat the prices by 5% without question. Of coarse this only works for items that both locations carry.

e46er
11-17-2010, 03:14 AM
Wow, what an attack on me!!!

I guess that you haven't ever worked retail, or owned a business that provides good or services. I can say I have and still do.

Anyways, they do advertise price matching, even after purchase, but try to get them to honor it. They don't!!!! Especially for anything online.

Also, how can any business, sell a product for $100 more than what everyone else does, even the manufacturer... That is just bad business, and thus the reason I am telling you. If you don't care to listen to my comments, then please go to Big Al's and get ripped off. I REALLY DON'T CARE WHAT YOU THINK, AND FIND YOUR COMMENTS IGNORANT!!! So P I S S OFF!!

your right it does sound harsh and i didnt mean it like that

i do work in services im a gas fitter and constantly go to peoples houses
but because a company chooses to put a higher sticker price on something and you paid it does not really justify a bashing of the company online.
now if they offer price match but dont garentee it then i wouldnt have set foot in the place to start with
thats just me
atleast the manager told you what to do to get your money back most people wouldnt

TheMikey
11-17-2010, 04:15 AM
If Big Al's advertises in the store that they do match prices after the fact of purchase, I believe they are obligated to honour that promise. It sounds to me like it's a bilateral contract: you agree to pay their advertised price on the assumption it is at (or below) a competetor's price. Their guarantee to you, then, is that if you find a lower price they are obligated to match it.

However, it becomes a problem with the internet. If you can, find a store that advertises the price you say your product is worth: a brick and mortar store in Calgary. Nextly, look on Big Al's website to see if there's a disclaimer that says they do not have to respect their online prices in their retail outlets.

Like you said, the problem is that online stores don't have to worry about paying employees, shipping, lease on property, etc. so they can do it cheaper than a brick and mortar store. With this in mind, I would never honour a price brought in from the internet if I were working in retail (and I did, for nine years). It's like printing off a price from eBay and trying to get Futureshop to match it.

globaldesigns
11-17-2010, 04:45 AM
If Big Al's advertises in the store that they do match prices after the fact of purchase, I believe they are obligated to honour that promise. It sounds to me like it's a bilateral contract: you agree to pay their advertised price on the assumption it is at (or below) a competetor's price. Their guarantee to you, then, is that if you find a lower price they are obligated to match it.

However, it becomes a problem with the internet. If you can, find a store that advertises the price you say your product is worth: a brick and mortar store in Calgary. Nextly, look on Big Al's website to see if there's a disclaimer that says they do not have to respect their online prices in their retail outlets.

Like you said, the problem is that online stores don't have to worry about paying employees, shipping, lease on property, etc. so they can do it cheaper than a brick and mortar store. With this in mind, I would never honour a price brought in from the internet if I were working in retail (and I did, for nine years). It's like printing off a price from eBay and trying to get Futureshop to match it.

Great points, but then what about places like some of our sponsors, they sell these skimmers for almost $100 less and they also have storefronts, employees, and overhead. It is all relative, and when comparing strictly online shops to the other, you can take into account such overheads, shipping and hopefully still do business. And then hopefully both sides are happy.

Retailers offer things like price protection in order to reassure the customer they are getting the best product for the best price. Thus taking the onus off us the customer, and if we impulse buy, we should be protected. But if the retailer isn't willing to come to the plate after the fact and honor their promises, then shame on them.

Aquattro
11-17-2010, 04:49 AM
My understanding in talking to this shop is that they do NOT price match against online stores. And let's be honest, they do something right, or they wouldn't be in business. They've been around a long time. My local LFS charges 3x what online places do, yet they are still going, year after year. If people pay the price, they will continue to charge it. That's how lots of businesses work, especially retail. And people obviously pay the prices, as per this thread. Sure, you may not be happy about it, but I don't see where they've done anything wrong. Ultimately, you as the consumer need to speak with your dollars. Don't shop there. Once the demand is lowered, the pricing will follow.

TheMikey
11-17-2010, 04:54 AM
But if the retailer isn't willing to come to the plate after the fact and honor their promises, then shame on them.

I think this is the only one of your points I really agree with - and please take no offence. Everything I said, though, is contingent on what Big Al's promises. I haven't been into the Calgary store, nor have I visited their website so I really have no idea what their promises are.

Look at what their customer agreement is. If they agree to match "local, advertised prices" or their own website prices, go and argue it. They cannot tell you no. However in a capitalist/materialistic society it is buyer beware. It's all about getting the most money out of a product.

Aquattro
11-17-2010, 04:54 AM
Retailers offer things like price protection in order to reassure the customer they are getting the best product for the best price. Thus taking the onus off us the customer, and if we impulse buy, we should be protected.

That's just wrong. Unless this store advertises in writing that they offer price protection, then they don't. I can't for the life of me see why any of the responsibility for impulse buying falls to the store. The onus is entirely on you, and unless you verified before the impulse that they offer price protection, you entered into and completed a transaction on goods you both agreed on at the time. Deal done.
If I post a $50 item here for sale and ask $500, and you then buy it, that's not my issue. You made the decision and I made a great profit. This is really not a store issue, it's an impulse buy issue that you regret and aren't taking the responsibility of....

globaldesigns
11-17-2010, 05:00 AM
Here is the link to Big Al's Best Price Gaurantee (for online website):

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/staticPage.mtw?viewElementName=/bestPriceGuarantee.jsp

If the stores support the same rules, but only storefronts (not online shops) then they can call many of our sponsors with storefronts. Of which I told them about. These canreef sponsors have them in stock, have storefronts, and qaulify for the Price Gaurantee. So again what gives?

Like I said, buyer beware... And take their price gaurantee's and ignore them as they don't have any merit.

globaldesigns
11-17-2010, 05:02 AM
That's just wrong. Unless this store advertises in writing that they offer price protection, then they don't. I can't for the life of me see why any of the responsibility for impulse buying falls to the store. The onus is entirely on you, and unless you verified before the impulse that they offer price protection, you entered into and completed a transaction on goods you both agreed on at the time. Deal done.
If I post a $50 item here for sale and ask $500, and you then buy it, that's not my issue. You made the decision and I made a great profit. This is really not a store issue, it's an impulse buy issue that you regret and aren't taking the responsibility of....

Well back at you, as I think you are wrong, as the Big Al storefronts also give Price Protection. This is something they promote, they have documentation in pamphlets and so on. Actually, when I signed up for their bonus program, it even had it in the pamphlets for that, they promoted price protection.

I myself use to run Visions Electronics stores and other major chain electronic stores... All these stores had Price Gaurantee's of which I used as the manager and also as a saleman to get customers to buy, sometimes making them impulse buy... It works!!!! But I can tell you that I did support my price gaurantee... Rule was bring in the add, or if we could phone and verify, they got it... Very easy simple, and it made people buy that maybe wouldn't

TheMikey
11-17-2010, 05:06 AM
Like I said, buyer beware... And take their price gaurantee's and ignore them as they don't have any merit.

I'm sorry, but you're incorrect. That policy is strictly for online retail. Go see what the Big Al's retail policies are.

Aquattro
11-17-2010, 05:07 AM
If they have it documented that should you find a lower price on the same product, in stock at a local competitor, you then have legal recourse. I'm not familiar with the wording, but they apparently feel it doesn't apply to this transaction. So either details are lacking here, or you need to call your provincial consumer protection agency.
What exactly is their reasoning for refusing to honor this policy?

Aquattro
11-17-2010, 05:08 AM
I'm sorry, but you're incorrect. That policy is strictly for online retail. Go see what the Big Al's retail policies are.

That is also my understanding...

globaldesigns
11-17-2010, 05:10 AM

Mikey, Mikey, Mikey... If you are going to quote my entry, please quote it all, as I stated I posted the online store policy, NOT the retail store... please don't try to make me look like an idiot. AS I AM NOT!!!!

So my post you are referring to still stands. GEEZ, this is what irritates me.

globaldesigns
11-17-2010, 05:13 AM
If they have it documented that should you find a lower price on the same product, in stock at a local competitor, you then have legal recourse. I'm not familiar with the wording, but they apparently feel it doesn't apply to this transaction. So either details are lacking here, or you need to call your provincial consumer protection agency.
What exactly is their reasoning for refusing to honor this policy?

That is what I am getting at... The customer should not have to fight for it, they should be able to present what they have and based on that, either get it or not.... In my case, I feel I have a valid presentation, but again it is easy for any retailer to not agree and deny it.

Again, buyer beware... I feel I have tested their Price Gaurantee, and they failed. Oh well.

Edit: sorry I didn't answer your final question.... They don't think our sponsors that I gave as examples qualify... Our sponsors have storefronts, and did qaulify based on what they promote... Also, I gave the actual manufacturer as an example, which everyone who has storefronts is selling at the same price as them or for a few bucks more. For a store example Oceanic Corals sells it for $289, they are a storefront and online, but their storefront presence doesn't qualify?

TheMikey
11-17-2010, 05:20 AM
Mikey, Mikey, Mikey... If you are going to quote my entry, please quote it all, as I stated I posted the online store policy, NOT the retail store... please don't try to make me look like an idiot. AS I AM NOT!!!!

So my post you are referring to still stands. GEEZ, this is what irritates me.

I didn't say you were an idiot. I said you were incorrect. I'll try again:

Here is the link to Big Al's Best Price Gaurantee (for online website):

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/staticPage.mtw?viewElementName=/bestPriceGuarantee.jsp

If the stores support the same rules, but only storefronts (not online shops) then they can call many of our sponsors with storefronts. Of which I told them about. These canreef sponsors have them in stock, have storefronts, and qaulify for the Price Gaurantee. So again what gives?

I'm not trying to misquote you, merely highlighting the bolded portion. Big Al's retail outlet in Calgary is not ignoring any price guarantee that you've posted. It specifically states in the online agreement that those terms apply ONLY to the online stores and ONLY to sales at other online outlets.

My point is this: You've claimed that Big Al's is ignoring its Price Guarantee as found online. I'm telling you it doesn't apply to Big Al's in Calgary. Unfortunately, being limited to the online store, Big Al's has every right to refuse to uphold them.

Now, if they have a different IN STORE policy that was guaranteed to you (check the back of your receipt?) you may have an argument. Or find that pamphlet.

globaldesigns
11-17-2010, 05:22 AM
I didn't say you were an idiot. I said you were incorrect. I'll try again:

I'm not trying to misquote you, merely highlighting the bolded portion. Big Al's retail outlet in Calgary is not ignoring any price guarantee that you've posted. It specifically states in the online agreement that those terms apply ONLY to the online stores and ONLY to sales at other online outlets.

My point is this: You've claimed that Big Al's is ignoring its Price Guarantee as found online. I'm telling you it doesn't apply to Big Al's in Calgary. Unfortunately, being limited to the online store, Big Al's has every right to refuse to uphold them.

Now, if they have a different IN STORE policy that was guaranteed to you (check the back of your receipt?) you may have an argument. Or find that pamphlet.

I gave the online page as reference, as they don't post the retail store policies on the corporate website. But in-store they do promote this also, but they state online sites don't qualify. Well I gave retailers that have storefronts, but that isn't good enough. Why? because they deal online also?

Edit: next will they hide behind things like the storefront has to be as big as them, they have to have at least as many staff as them... Sounds like they make up the rules depending on the circumstance.

TheMikey
11-17-2010, 05:26 AM
One final thing before I go to bed, I think Big Al's handled the situation poorly. Given the importance of customer satisfaction in an age where you can sit at home and order the same thing for less (and much more conveniently), I think they've alienated the customer. And given the rather small population of hobbyists in Canada, I think good word of mouth and having happy customers is of utmost importance.

With that in mind, though, my point remains that they've done nothing wrong, nor - from the evidence provided - are they obligated to correct. As a private business, they are free to create the rules they run their business upon. Businesses can hide behind whatever rules they like - sometimes to their own detriment - but that doesn't mean they owe the consumer anything (which is why I avoid large chains in general).

TheMikey
11-17-2010, 05:28 AM
I gave the online page as reference, as they don't post the retail store policies on the corporate website. But in-store they do promote this also, but they state online sites don't qualify. Well I gave retailers that have storefronts, but that isn't good enough. Why? because they deal online also?

The simple answer might be because the Calgary store is a franchise and is competing with the Big Al's Online store. I have no idea how Big Al's corporate structure works, but it's possible that the online retailer is another entity entirely and not affiliated with the Calgary location at all other than by name.

globaldesigns
11-17-2010, 05:30 AM
One final thing before I go to bed, I think Big Al's handled the situation poorly. Given the importance of customer satisfaction in an age where you can sit at home and order the same thing for less (and much more conveniently), I think they've alienated the customer. And given the rather small population of hobbyists in Canada, I think good word of mouth and having happy customers is of utmost importance.

With that in mind, though, my point remains that they've done nothing wrong, nor - from the evidence provided - are they obligated to correct. As a private business, they are free to create the rules they run their business upon. Businesses can hide behind whatever rules they like - sometimes to their own detriment - but that doesn't mean they owe the consumer anything (which is why I avoid large chains in general).

Mikey, well put and I do agree with most points.

Even though I don't agree with what happened to me, it is their business, and they can do what they wish... I just wanted to post this poor attempt to customer service and customer retention. They failed at both.

Edit: I am not going to give Big Al's credit for this, but the skimmer is working like a hot damn. So support the Canreef Sponsors, buy from them, they are cheaper.

intarsiabox
11-17-2010, 12:01 PM
Of coarse they have all these expenses to worry about. On-line stores have huge warehouses that they have to pay to have the goods shipped in, orders over $35 ship free from Big Al's so guess who's paying for the shipping, the warehouse doesn't come for free (lease, taxes, utilities), lots of warehouse people to pay salaries to, plus customer service reps and people doing the accounting/billing. They have all the expenses of a retail store but since it's on a much larger scale and don't have customer wandering around the warehouse it can be done more efficiently and they also don't have the live animals to deal with reducing costs further.

abcha0s
11-17-2010, 01:06 PM
I wonder why the other LFSs that many of us frequent are so untouchable. I've had the same experience with EVERY LFS in Calgary - bar none. It is very disheartening to price something with JL, drive to a LFS only to be quoted 20% more. I've just accepted that buying locally means paying more. The sad part is that this also means that I avoid buying locally.

I know that there is loyalty pricing offered at the stores here in Calgary. I'd like the owners of these stores to read this and understand that this approach is counter productive. If I had been offered the best price from the start, I would have spent A LOT more money locally.

As an extreme example: when I looked for quotes for my new tank, our favorite store here in Calgary felt that it was appropriate to mark it up by $1200 and then had the balls to tell me that they were doing me a favor? All they were actually doing was brokering the deal with the builder. It's unfortunate all around, but I haven't been back to that store.

gobytron
11-17-2010, 02:02 PM
isn't it nice to actually get to bitch about non sponsoring lfs'?

Aquattro
11-17-2010, 03:26 PM
isn't it nice to actually get to bitch about non sponsoring lfs'?

Well, we expect that if one has a concern with one of our vendors, that they express their concerns and/or compliments in that vendor's forum. That's the purpose of the sponsors having forums.
For non-sponsoring vendors, please keep reviews accurate without name calling, and use reasonable judgement in your post. If you're upset about impulse shopping, try not to impulse post about it.
Also keep in mind that should you receive good service from a store, you mention that too.
We want to strive towards sharing knowledge within the community, but we want to ensure a respectful and mature approach to it.

globaldesigns
11-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Of coarse they have all these expenses to worry about. On-line stores have huge warehouses that they have to pay to have the goods shipped in, orders over $35 ship free from Big Al's so guess who's paying for the shipping, the warehouse doesn't come for free (lease, taxes, utilities), lots of warehouse people to pay salaries to, plus customer service reps and people doing the accounting/billing. They have all the expenses of a retail store but since it's on a much larger scale and don't have customer wandering around the warehouse it can be done more efficiently and they also don't have the live animals to deal with reducing costs further.

+1, people commenting on the contrary to what I am trying to explain are not realizing this, thanks for this point of view. In my opinion, I don't think online or local should be a factor... If they sell the same product, and they carry it as stock, who then cares if it is online or not. Things to consider as the retailer and customer is the cost of shipping. This is why I was accounting a cost for overhead and shipping, even though the selling price would most likely already have a padding for some of this stuff.

I wonder why the other LFSs that many of us frequent are so untouchable. I've had the same experience with EVERY LFS in Calgary - bar none. It is very disheartening to price something with JL, drive to a LFS only to be quoted 20% more. I've just accepted that buying locally means paying more. The sad part is that this also means that I avoid buying locally.

I know that there is loyalty pricing offered at the stores here in Calgary. I'd like the owners of these stores to read this and understand that this approach is counter productive. If I had been offered the best price from the start, I would have spent A LOT more money locally.

As an extreme example: when I looked for quotes for my new tank, our favorite store here in Calgary felt that it was appropriate to mark it up by $1200 and then had the balls to tell me that they were doing me a favor? All they were actually doing was brokering the deal with the builder. It's unfortunate all around, but I haven't been back to that store.

I am a believer that price things fairly. You may not make the big cash on each product, but then do the volume. It is funny you stated this, because if I didn't already have a business, I would seriously consider opening up a LFS in the South of Calgary, and if I did, watch out.... But it isn't happening, at least for now. Anyone want to buy an internet/hosting biz? HEHE

lastlight
11-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Anyone want to buy an internet/hosting biz? HEHE

Will you price match? :mrgreen:

globaldesigns
11-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Well, we expect that if one has a concern with one of our vendors, that they express their concerns and/or compliments in that vendor's forum. That's the purpose of the sponsors having forums.
For non-sponsoring vendors, please keep reviews accurate without name calling, and use reasonable judgement in your post. If you're upset about impulse shopping, try not to impulse post about it.
Also keep in mind that should you receive good service from a store, you mention that too.
We want to strive towards sharing knowledge within the community, but we want to ensure a respectful and mature approach to it.

Aquattro,

There is no reason for poking at me for impulse buying... That isn't what this thread is about, so why keep changing what this thread is about.

CUSTOMER SERVICE, OR LACK OF
PRICE PROTECTION GAURANTEE, AGAIN OR LACK OF
OVER PRICING, OR PRICE GOUGING

Sorry, but I feel you are out of line. I know you are a moderator, but please use some judement yourself.

That is the problem with all forums, it is too easy to take a fragment and run with it, twist it to your purpose. It is too easy to attack because we are all hiding behind a computer screen.

Basically in my case, with all that is posted, you should get what I am trying to say. Sorry if it may be fragmented, but it is all there. Overall it isn't the money, I really don't care. I have money, lots of it, so again I REALLY DON'T CARE! But what I do care about is the principals of life, being treated fairly. And with my case with Big Al's, they promote certain things, I felt comfortable based on what policies they promote. But when called upon to use these policies, it fails miserably. SO IT IS THE PRINCIPLE OF THINGS, and telling others of this is my right. You are correct about promoting good service, and I do that also. It does work both ways.

Aquattro
11-17-2010, 03:41 PM
I understand what you're saying, and I agree, customer service is lacking and as a manager of a store I would have made it right for you. But, this store is not willing to do that, and as a consumer you need to shop elsewhere. It's that simple.
If service and pricing are priorities in your purchasing plans, you need to investigate beforehand, which you did not.
Big Al's service has been discussed for years, and everyone knows they're more expensive. so in my mind, the mistake was yours for making the purchase. It was an impulse buy that you regret, and aren't willing to take the blame for.
It's also been stated many times in this thread that people have been happy with their experience at this store, especially certain staff. So buyer beware is a bit out of line. I think it's more like "Impulse Buyers Beware" because if you make a mistake, the store won't correct it for you.

globaldesigns
11-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Will you price match? :mrgreen:

HEHE, yes I would... This is what I believe Price Matching Criteria would be. Do remember I ran retail stores, and this is what I had based things on in the past.
- If it is an advertised sale price, is it in stock and ready for sell... Remember you can advertise/quote any price, but if they don't have stock, they are not prepared to sell it to you.
-If it isn't advertised, but ticketed in the store or online. Check online to see price, or call the location. Also verify that if I come down now/order now online, is it in stock. If so, price match, or even beat.

The big thing I would consider when matching/beating an online price, is the shipping. If the online presence includes shipping then you match or beat the online price. If the customer has to pay shipping, then the retailer should be able to remove that from the matching price, as this is a legitmate cost to him to bring in product. The retailer would even benefit, remember this, shipping for him would be cheaper, as he is bringing in bulk, not just one. So the shipping cost is divided into the number of units, it would almost always workout cheaper then.

I hope this makes sense, very basic... Easy to understand, and works for all parties. Also remember, I am not just making this up... It is what I use to do at Visions, Soundsaround... I have family at FutureShop/Best Buy and they have the same approach.

globaldesigns
11-17-2010, 03:49 PM
I understand what you're saying, and I agree, customer service is lacking and as a manager of a store I would have made it right for you. But, this store is not willing to do that, and as a consumer you need to shop elsewhere. It's that simple.
If service and pricing are priorities in your purchasing plans, you need to investigate beforehand, which you did not.
Big Al's service has been discussed for years, and everyone knows they're more expensive. so in my mind, the mistake was yours for making the purchase. It was an impulse buy that you regret, and aren't willing to take the blame for.
It's also been stated many times in this thread that people have been happy with their experience at this store, especially certain staff. So buyer beware is a bit out of line. I think it's more like "Impulse Buyers Beware" because if you make a mistake, the store won't correct it for you.

Point taken, and I agree.

I don't think buyer beware is out of line... I am stating with all these posts, that don't put any validness in their pricing gaurantee that they promote in store. So BEWARE!!! If you find it cheaper, have fun trying to collect. Again it has nothing to do with impulse buying, so I don't accept that...

Let me throw it at you differently. Say I am happy with the price I paid, but lets say the price went down $100 after one month. Let's say, the online Big Al's website was cheaper by that amount. Let's say the manufacturer also was cheaper, and lets take it further and say Oceanic Coral had it in stock and also dropped it by $100. If Big Al's didn't honor the price gaurantee, then how is my current situation any different to say a month down the road. It really isn't.

sphelps
11-17-2010, 03:53 PM
This is probably one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. Buying online is almost always cheaper than purchasing locally. You purchase locally for convenience, service and to support local buisness. The service you received sounds more than fair, they did more than they had to by giving you a credit. If you want ma and pa service then shop at a ma and pa store.

globaldesigns
11-17-2010, 03:59 PM
This is probably one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. Buying online is almost always cheaper than purchasing locally. You purchase locally for convenience, service and to support local buisness. The service you received sounds more than fair, they did more than they had to by giving you a credit. If you want ma and pa service then shop at a ma and pa store.

Then I don't know what LFS you deal with (actually I probably do, but won't mention any other names here, tired of being beat up by you all). I have spent probably close to $20K on fish stuff over the years (mostly locally) and find my LFS are generally inline with online presences. If you don't see that, then you need to find new LFS's... Any LFS that isn't inline, will usually match prices like JL to get the business... At least for me they do.

I can recommend one in Calgary if you need it... An no, it isn't Big Al's... And before you all bash me on this statement. Shame on me, I should of just ordered it from him. Oh well.

Boy I can see why sponsors like Oceanic Corals left.... comments, attitudes and ignorance like this makes me want to bash my head against a brick wall...

I think I am done here, take my experience as you wish all, have fun... If you choose to buy from Big Al's, again I say DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK.

sphelps
11-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Boy I can see why sponsors like Oceanic Corals left.... comments, attitudes and ignorance like this makes me want to bash my head against a brick wall...

Are you joking? The only comments, attitudes and ignorance that are out of line here are your own. WOW!

globaldesigns
11-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Are you joking? The only comments, attitudes and ignorance that are out of line here are your own. WOW!

No comment. We have a difference of opinion.

sphelps
11-17-2010, 04:23 PM
If your LFS is so great why didn't you purchase the skimmer from them??

globaldesigns
11-17-2010, 04:26 PM
If your LFS is so great why didn't you purchase the skimmer from them??

K, why you asking this... didn't I already state, shame on me... You just trying to get another post added, or you really trying to be this way. Sorry if I am coming on strong here, but REALLY!!!

It is like I stated prior, it is too easy to pick and choose what you want to read and reply to, in order to fit your needs.

Mods, I think it is time to lock this thread, I myself am very tired and beat up here. Thanks all, really appreciate it!!!

sphelps
11-17-2010, 04:36 PM
I'm just curious, I think that perhaps you purchased it from there because it was convenient or perhaps other stores don't stock it. In either case a store in a more convenient location with more stock will clearly have more overhead and therefore higher prices. So yes shame on you, not for buying the skimmer, for raising this ridiculous complaint and attack on one of our local businesses.

Sean
11-17-2010, 04:38 PM
One thing I do like about Big Al's is that they have a point system, its kind of neat to have a membership and I like that one day I might get something back. I also like how if you know what you are looking for you can just pick it up and head to the cash. Its nice that they have lots of staff on hand rather than having to wait. I find Big Al's is like the best buy of aquarium stores everyone has had good and bad expreiences.

I'm more of a fan of Calgary's smaller stores, I love that they remember me and will ask things like "Did you ever get that R/O unit working?" When the smaller guys build that customer relationship its hard not to come back. They look after me and in return i keep coming back. Its nice when someone will actually not sell you a product because its not right for you. I'm sure the fish and coral are also happier beause of it.

globaldesigns
11-17-2010, 04:44 PM
I'm just curious, I think that perhaps you purchased it from there because it was convenient or perhaps other stores don't stock it. In either case a store in a more convenient location with more stock will clearly have more overhead and therefore higher prices. So yes shame on you, not for buying the skimmer, for raising this ridiculous complaint and attack on one of our local businesses.

Actually if you want to whole story, I went in to get the Hydor 1000 they had. I have one already and wanted a second unit. But what they had wasn't complete. The price on that was what I paid before, and is inline with the market. So I took a trip to get one skimmer, but couldn't get it. In the past the Big Al's online website has had reasonable, and I would say in-line pricing with most other online or LFS pricing. And I knew the price of the SWC unit on the website. And when I couldn't get the Hydor, I asked if the SWC on the shelf was the same price as online. In the past the store was usually 30-40% higher than their website and others. So because it was the same price, and they told me it would out perform my hyder... Kent even called edmonton, and that is what they said from experience, I bought it.

It wasn't until that evening I found out that that product was inflated. So I tested their price protections and it doesn't work. In finding out this, I researched and found legitamite retailers that have product and will sell to me. So I tried to present everything to Big Als, but they denied the price protection. Again, I am not worried about the money, just want others to make sure they don't get ripped. Money may not be a big deal for me, but it may be to you and others, just trying to help.

Oh well, life goes on.

jorjef
11-17-2010, 04:52 PM
SWEET JESUS!!! To all involved lets call this an agreement to disagree, a draw, someone blink and lets go on to something else....

Have s good day :^)

sphelps
11-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Wow that all sounds like pretty good service to me. Did you know that good staff costs money? I'm not sure if you're aware of this but when a business has extra expenses like staff it adds to their overhead.

I'm pretty sure it is about the money, there really isn't anything else to complain about.

You know what we should do? Open a business with the best location, most stock, best service and lowest prices. Man what a break through, we're going to be rich! :lol:

globaldesigns
11-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Wow that all sounds like pretty good service to me. Did you know that good staff costs money? I'm not sure if you're aware of this but when a business has extra expenses like staff it adds to their overhead.

I'm pretty sure it is about the money, there really isn't anything else to complain about.

You know what we should do? Open a business with the best location, most stock, best service and lowest prices. Man what a break through, we're going to be rich! :lol:

Actually, I run a business, and have done so for many years. Before running my own business, I ran other multi-million dollar companies with 30-40 staff, millions of dollars in stock (electronics). So yes, I know what it takes.

I can tell you this, at no time have I ever over charged for a product based on my overhead... I will always base pricing on current market rates, or what other retailers are selling for. If you can't sell it and make money on it, without gouging, then don't sell it and find other products. And if you offer price protection, then stand by it, or don't offer it at all.

Plain and simple.

Aquattro
11-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Well, I think this has played out enough, and we're not going to get everyone on board to one way of thinking.
Lots of good and bad brought up about this store, so with a "buyer beware" warning for any and all retail purchases, we'll call it a day.