PDA

View Full Version : 80 Gallon Anemone Tank

Hawkaholic
11-16-2010, 05:36 PM
I have decided to turn my 80 Gallon tank into a anemone tank. I have two onyx clowns and two yellowheaded jawfish as livestock. I also have two anemones for now. In the future I may move the tank into a 55G but for now the 80 will do. I was planning to rescape and get the 80 ready for more Nems this weekend when this morning I came downstairs to:

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad287/xXHawkaholicXx/Eighty%20Gallon/IMG_0085.jpg
http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad287/xXHawkaholicXx/Eighty%20Gallon/IMG_0086.jpg

And to top off the great morning...ITS FREAKIN SNOWING OUTSIDE...DAMMIT!!

I spent the next four or so hours changing 50% of the water and getting everything back to running condition. Can't run the skimmer though...its a HOB and bubbles the cap off. Whats amazing is the Nem is still alive

Before:
http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad287/xXHawkaholicXx/The%20One%20Eighty/Nem1.jpg

After:
http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad287/xXHawkaholicXx/Eighty%20Gallon/IMG_0087.jpg

Before the Nem could probably stretch out to about 1'1/2"...now...not so much.

So...since I had to basically redo the tank...I figured why not start a build thread:mrgreen:

And to quote Doug(fishytime) "Nems is EVIL!!:twised::twised:"

lastlight
11-16-2010, 06:07 PM
I've had that happen to me too. I hope you can save yours mine was totally gone. Nice size tank to dedicate to evil!

kevNnic
11-16-2010, 06:15 PM
sorry to see your poor Nem hurt like that, hopefully he survives.

Hawkaholic
11-16-2010, 08:26 PM
I had him in a pail while I was messin with the tank. He stuck himself to the pail...don't know if thats a good sign or not but hes back in the tank. Hes beat up pretty good though...fingers crossed...did lose a Atlantic Blue Tang though and it looked like one of my onyx clowns was on the way out as I was leaving for work...STUPID NEM.

kevNnic
11-16-2010, 08:54 PM
sorry to hear that, i always fear for that nems cruzing the tank!

Llamarama
11-16-2010, 09:21 PM
Sorry to hear hopefully nem pulls through mine did the same thing a couple weeks ago lost a blenny and my filefish but nem and the other fish were rescued. I read somewhere that as long as the mouth and foot are intact it should survive but good luck to you!

spawn
11-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Try running some chemi pure elite for a bit. I had a nem early on do this, did not have water ready to go for a change & the tank never seemed to miss a beat. I thnik it was because I was running CPE. & I still do btw. Water is always near crystal when it goes off I change, approx. once 4-6 weeks on 65 gal. setup.

Hawkaholic
11-16-2010, 11:20 PM
I've had that happen to me too. I hope you can save yours mine was totally gone. Nice size tank to dedicate to evil!

About 85% of the nem ended up in the koralia but his mouth and foot was intact...it was a struggle getting him out of there. Only time will tell if he makes it or not.

Hawkaholic
11-16-2010, 11:21 PM
sorry to see your poor Nem hurt like that, hopefully he survives.

Thanks Kev...I hope so too. The two clowns are not happy though...lol

Hawkaholic
11-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Sorry to hear hopefully nem pulls through mine did the same thing a couple weeks ago lost a blenny and my filefish but nem and the other fish were rescued. I read somewhere that as long as the mouth and foot are intact it should survive but good luck to you!

Thanks Llamarama...I seen a video on a guy fragging a nem...he cut the nem in half through the mouth and both pieces survived.

Hawkaholic
11-16-2010, 11:24 PM
Try running some chemi pure elite for a bit. I had a nem early on do this, did not have water ready to go for a change & the tank never seemed to miss a beat. I thnik it was because I was running CPE. & I still do btw. Water is always near crystal when it goes off I change, approx. once 4-6 weeks on 65 gal. setup.

Thanks for the tip spawn...will keep that in mind.

Hawkaholic
11-16-2010, 11:28 PM
Got home after work to a house stinking like reef crash...assumed the worse...so far...so good.:biggrin: Even the little clown is still kickin'...tank is still cloudy but looks pretty ok.

Hawkaholic
12-07-2010, 02:13 PM
The Nem didn't make it.:cry:

reefwars
12-07-2010, 03:31 PM
The Nem didn't make it.:cry:

Alot of them don't from this, I've lost a few due o powerheads and filters I've only ever had 1 recover and it recovered quick, I think it's on the nem so size health and species comes into effect.

I use o own llarama's nem and it's been a koralia many times, I scraped it off the fingers of my overflow which it was caught in pretty bad , I officially pronounced it dead after the overflow but it survived and fast too.

Sorry to hear about your nem , I seen someone who had plastic mesh wrapped around their powerheads, not really sure how good it was or if it causes any harm but he did it:):)

Llamarama
12-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Sorry to hear about your nem :( after my first incident we just made some nylon sleeves for the powerheads that we mainly put over them when he's close to either side of the tank but they greatly hinder the flow from whichever ones end up getting covered.