PDA

View Full Version : Mass suicide

Myka
11-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Ok, this is weird. I have had 4 fish jump from 4 different tanks in the last 10 days. I have a voltmeter, and can't find any stray voltage in any of the tanks. Two of the four tanks are mostly covered. Two of the fish were the alpha fish in the tank (they didn't get chased out). Is this some strange coincidence or what? Any ideas? :neutral:

sphelps
11-15-2010, 07:24 PM
All I know is fish jump, it sucks but it happens. I remember one tank I maintained would show weird patterns as well. One week there would be a different fish on the ground everyday then nothing for a year. I also got hit in the head once by a fish in the LFS.

Myka
11-15-2010, 07:28 PM
I "instinctively" caught a Volitans Lionfish midair that jumped. Won't do that again... :eek:

I think it's just a coincidence, but I was hoping someone would think of something that I haven't already.

zum14
11-15-2010, 07:30 PM
I "instinctively" caught a Volitans Lionfish midair that jumped. Won't do that again... :eek:

That must of been an interesting afternoon....

Rogue951
11-15-2010, 07:34 PM
any sudden loud noises?

Ross
11-15-2010, 07:38 PM
So long and thanks for all the fish??

dsaundry
11-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Perhaps the economy had them so upset they decided to end their lives.:lol:

Maybe they were B.C. lions fans:lol:

Milad
11-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Perhaps the economy had them so upset they decided to end their lives.:lol:

Maybe they were B.C. lions fans:lol:

+1 BC lions fans, lol

gobytron
11-15-2010, 08:49 PM
something to do with seasonality based behavioral changes maybe?

daniella3d
11-15-2010, 08:49 PM
wow, ain't that a bit dangerous?

What other fish jumped? that is really strange in 4 different tanks.

Could it be a lack of oxygen? At this time of the year he start to close the windows more and put up heating.

If your water parameters are all fine, and there is no aggression, no stray voltage, nothing, then I really don,t see what can make them jump.

Every time I had a fish jumped it was because of aggression, always.

I think it's just a coincidence, but I was hoping someone would think of something that I haven't already.

paddyob
11-15-2010, 09:40 PM

SERIOUSLY????? OUCH!

Catch the "wrong" end?

dunl
11-15-2010, 09:42 PM
any sudden loud noises?

probably some pretty loud imaginative poetry, right after catching the lionfish. :lol:

cale262
11-15-2010, 10:05 PM
....I also got hit in the head once by a fish in the LFS.

I blew my coffee out of my nose when I read that,...

It just happened to me a week ago, I was sitting on the couch surfing the web and a scissor tail jumped out of my cube and bounced off my head, it was a good 5 foot jump and caught me completely off guard...I was stunned and just sat there for a second thinking WTF was that before looking to my right and seeing it flopping around right next to me...

Veng68
11-15-2010, 10:12 PM
Possible solution.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=817485

Cheers,
Vic

Myka
11-15-2010, 11:41 PM
I didn't catch the lionfish today that was years ago, and yes I caught the wrong "end". It wasn't overly painful or particularly dangerous I don't think. It was similar to a yellow jacket wasp sting. The type of fish registered in my mind just as I grabbed onto it.

Vic, I just finished fitting all the tanks with cross stitch mesh since many of my fish would fit through egg crate. I already had plans on figuring out something like in your link there using 1/4" plastic netting, but I can't cover my reef more than it is right now because the lights are actually sitting on the trim of the tank, and I can't think of a netting that the halides won't melt, and one that won't cause static short. I am redoing the lighting on the reef hopefully over Christmas break, and then I will be able to cover it better. As it is there is only a gap along the front that is about 2". I had the rest of it covered.

Daniella, the fish that jumped in the last 10 days were 1 True Percula, 2 Banggai (diff tanks), 1 Candy Hogfish. The Percula had a Blue Assessor for a tank mate and they never nipped at each other. The Hogfish was the boss of my reef...possibly chasing the others and missed? The Banggai could have been chased out.

intarsiabox
11-16-2010, 12:10 AM
Maybe cooking something that smelled so good they couldn't resist?

fishoholic
11-16-2010, 12:52 AM
Wow that's crazy, seems odd that you've had such back luck with fish jumping, however it doesn't seem like there is any clear one reason for it. Sorry for your losses that really sucks :sad:

It just happened to me a week ago, I was sitting on the couch surfing the web and a scissor tail jumped out of my cube and bounced off my head, it was a good 5 foot jump and caught me completely off guard...I was stunned and just sat there for a second thinking WTF was that before looking to my right and seeing it flopping around right next to me...

:eek: that would freak me right out if that happened to me.

Youngster Dan
11-16-2010, 01:56 AM
So long and thanks for all the fish??

Hah, nice. :)