PDA

View Full Version : 6-line wrasse *help* which tank should he go back into

fishoholic
11-15-2010, 04:02 AM
I need peoples opinions I have a 6-line wrasse, I bought him for the reef tank. However when I first added the 6-line my red corris picked on him a bit. After a few days they seemed to be getting along ok but then I found the 6-line in the overflow. Had the 6-line for about a week before I found him in the overflow. Fished him out and he seemed to be fine and everyone seemed to be getting along ok, but my only guess is that the red corris picked on him and chased him into the overflow.

A few more days after that passed and I noticed that the 6-line seemed to be getting more settled in the tank and I even saw the red corris and 6-line swim together (not chasing each other, but like they were enjoying hanging out together) so I thought they'd be fine. However I went to Calgary for a few days and when I got back I found the 6-line in the refugium part of the sump. So I guess he got chased back into the overflow and went for a ride. He seems to be ok.

My problem now is do I put the 6-line back in the reef to possibly have him chased out into the overflow again or do I risk putting him into the folwr tank which has no cap/lid on it (greater chance for him to jump out) and is also home to my cleaner wrasse which I would be ****ed if the 6-line started terrorizing. AHHHHHHH! What to do :question:

Any suggestions? I'm heading to bed soon but am going to check this thread in the morning (figure he'll be fine in the refugium for one more night) and hopefully with everyone's help I'll be able to figure out which tank to put him in.

Delphinus
11-15-2010, 04:17 AM
I had my sixline in a few different open topped tanks, he never jumped.

I would be leery about the other wrasse though. Might be OK at first but it's hard to say what will happen over time. My sixline was a model citizen for many years but after a few years he did become a holy terror towards a few more docile fish I had (tore the fins completely off a mandarin I had, who ended up dieing from his injuries :cry:)

Can you put some gutter guard over the overflow so that he can't be chased into it? Or double up the eggcrate (and offset) so he can't fit through?

zum14
11-15-2010, 05:35 AM
Mines been in an open topped tank for a few months and so far ok. I need to get that fancy mesh though, I lost a firefish to carpet surfing. I would be worried about the other wrasse as well. My longnose hawk recently suffered a front fin injury and it was touch and go for a bit. Looks like hes going to pull through but im almost positive it was my 6 line that caused it. Ive watched them go at it before. I like him but am starting to regret putting him in my reef tank. Seems like hes more for a slightly aggressive tank where everyone watches there backs. Pretty much all cases result in terror with these guys. Is it a viewable refugium? Maybe a good home for him down there? Lots to pick at and will be happy if he has a couple rocks to zoom around and sleep in. Could be an issue if its 24hr lighting though. hmmm. Thats a toughie.

fishoholic
11-15-2010, 02:09 PM
Yikes Tony I knew they were aggressive but I never thought one would attack a mandarin :sad: Although I have seen my red corris pick on my scooter blenny in the reef tank so I guess that shouldn't surprise me.

I do have gutter guard and have used it in the past but it's such a PITA to keep clean I'd rather not add it to the overflow. The refugium part of my sump is fairly small and there's always the possibility that he could jump into the area where the pumps are so I'd rather not leave him in there permanently.

I have kept a cleaner wrasse and 6-line together without any problems in the past so they might be ok together, especially since the cleaner wrasse has been in the fowlr for awhile now. The other fish in there are aggressive so maybe I'll put him in the fowlr and see how that goes. Would be great if I could catch the red corris and put him in the fowlr, but after trying a fish trap and then taking all the rock out of the reef tank, I still wasn't able to catch him so I have to live with him being in the reef :twised:

Chin_Lee
11-15-2010, 04:18 PM
he will take care of himself. the six line is one of the most acrobatic swimmers and will easily outswim the red coris. if you cover the overflow, he will most likely carpet surf if you don't have a cover

fishoholic
11-15-2010, 07:39 PM
he will take care of himself. the six line is one of the most acrobatic swimmers and will easily outswim the red coris. if you cover the overflow, he will most likely carpet surf if you don't have a cover

That was the other thing I was thinking, I'd rather he go into the overflow then on the floor!

fishoholic
11-16-2010, 04:40 AM
So after spending 2 hours trying to catch the sixline out of the sump (kept jumping from one chamber to the next) I finally caught the little bugger :twised: ended up putting him in the fowlr tank. So far so good, he hid for a bit, but then started checking out his new home. Also hasn't showed any interest in the cleaner wrasse and the other fish don't seem to care about him being in there, here's hoping it stays that way and no one decides the carpet looks like a better place to be.