PDA

View Full Version : Garf

Nemain
12-09-2003, 05:25 PM
First off, HELLO! After 6 months of reefing I finally found Edmontonians!

Secondly, does anyone know where to find GARF grunge in Edmonton, or in the least Alberta?

Thanks in advance =)

Beth

Aquattro
12-09-2003, 05:35 PM
Beth, welcome to Canreef. GARF grunge is a trademark name for sludge off the bottom of GARF's tanks. It is only available from them (thankfully). I'm sure you can find someone in edmonton to share some livesand and rubble with you to get you going. Maybe trade a cookie or something for it, but you shouldn't need to pay for "grunge".
:biggrin:

kuatto
12-09-2003, 06:02 PM
WELCOME :smilecol: :smilecol: :smilecol: :smilecol: :smilecol: :smilecol: :smilecol:

Jim

littleboyblue16
12-09-2003, 06:41 PM
welcome to Canreef :)

Nemain
12-09-2003, 07:58 PM
Here is my problem :

I have a 92 gallon, and about 20 lbs of sand. Doesnt seem like too much of a problem, other than that I also have 100lbs live rock, 3 chromis, 1 anthias, a star fish, mushroom coral, dragon goby, a couple of zoos, a couple thousand baby snails, hermit crabs, and an emerald crab.

I need to increase the sand bed without disturbing anything TOO much. My hope was that I could get live sand that is free of badsies in small ammounts ( IE: 3-5 lbs) at a time, and slowely pouring it onto the bottom of my tank.

I think when I aquired this tank (already started up - and incorectly to boot) I made just about every newbie mistake in the book. I want to improve and fix this tank the best I can without hurting the livestock in it.

SO ( I am just a TAD long winded - you would think with how much I type I could spell better o_O) I supose my dilema is that I just dont want to a) be a leach =( or b) be a burden twice a week on some poor sap. I do however make great cookies =)

I guess I should refrane my question to be: Is there some place in close proximity to Edmonton where I can get small amounts of live sand at frequent intervals?

Thanks Again =)

Beth

PS: Thank You all for the Welcoming =)

Aquattro
12-09-2003, 08:55 PM
Beth, if your rock and sand have a decent amount of life in them, they will seed any new sand you add. So just get a bag of new sand and add up to a half inch at a time. Give it a few weeks and add another half inch until you get to the depth you want. The life will get there all on it's own. Honest! :razz:

Nemain
12-09-2003, 09:00 PM
I dont want to say that the sand is "devoid" of life, but it certainly isnt crawling. I have yet to see any sort of worms/pods and the like, and I think that is my main concern with just adding new bulk sand. Of course, I suppose I could add most of my desired quantity through that means and then just get some live sand.. I astound myself with my lack of prethought sometimes. Thank you for the suggestion.. =)

I am sure I can pick up a small amount of live sand from a lfs here somewhere =) *crossesfingers*

beth

Aquattro
12-09-2003, 09:02 PM
Also, check with your LFS to see if they can give (or trade for cookies) you some grunge from their liverock bins.

christyf5
12-09-2003, 09:11 PM
Beth,

Its funny how that happens. I thought my sand was devoid of life for quite some time, after adding a few batches of sand from a few people (we're talking handfuls here) and "patiently" (read impatiently:razz:) waiting, my sandbed is full of life! Its great! Here I thought I would never be able to say I had all sorts of critters thriving in my sandbed but here I am. It took awhile though for them to get to a population that I could actually see. Seriously, try adding the fresh sand first and then just add a bit of the good stuff. Chances are if there isn't all that much sand in there to begin with, your critters are hanging out in the rock and will come out when you add more sand (just an idea).

Good luck :biggrin:

Christy :)

jgoldsney
12-12-2003, 07:46 PM
Something else that you could try is to phone around to the local salt water store locations and find out when their next shipmant of live rock is.

Then make sure that if possible you are there when it arrives and ask to buy a bag of the rubble that is left in the boxes

I did that a couple of years ago when the "Family Pet Center" in sherwood park was getting a shipment. I got a bag full of rubble for $2 and within a week of adding it (I piled it in a back corner behind some LR) there were pods all over the place.

Just my $0.02

Joel

PS
Welcom to canreef

Nemain
12-15-2003, 03:18 PM
Ohh, maybe I will try them, they are only a couple of blocks away, of course, everything in Sherwood Park is a couple of blocks away :P Thanks for the idea, I was starting to think I would never find live sand =)

Beth

Son Of Skyline
12-15-2003, 05:18 PM
If you're patient, your live rock will indeed seed your sandbed and eventually your sand will be filled with life. I never added a grain of "live" sand to my tank. Just bags of dry aragonite. After a few months my sandbed was already filled with bugs and worms. Good luck!

biggerstretch
07-02-2012, 06:39 AM
Just an FYI.....

Family Pet Supercentre was established in 1980. We would like to thank all our customers for the loyalty over the years; effective June 29, 2012 Family Pet Supercentre will be closing its doors.

copied from their site.

gregzz4
07-02-2012, 06:51 AM
Why do people resurrect old posts ???

If you have something to say, say it in the forums !!!!

Madmak
07-02-2012, 07:07 AM
2003, that's just like yesterday, or not! :)

Madmak
07-02-2012, 07:35 AM
In 2003 I was running a Commodore 64 on dial-up and my cell phone was 13" long and 7 lbs.

Kudos to Aquattro, 10 year old post!

gregzz4
07-02-2012, 08:56 AM
So, now I'm keeping this post alive too ....
In 2001, when the planes hit the towers, I went to Cancun with the wife and I should have bought stock in fuel ...
In 2003 I should have bought out my Boss
In 2010 I should have gone back to school
In 2011 I should have not bought a Reef Tank
In 2012 I should have bought stock in Hydrogen Fuel

Where will my kids be in 10 or 20 years ???

Why is this post still alive ???

biggerstretch
07-02-2012, 03:12 PM

Probably because I was tired and did'nt check the date......

gregzz4
07-03-2012, 01:44 AM
Probably because I was tired and did'nt check the date......
:mrgreen:

Madreefer
07-03-2012, 02:14 AM

Nobody questions you about having to post on pretty much every thread out there. Mind your own business and let the mods look after this stuff. It's their job, not yours!

reefwars
07-03-2012, 02:53 AM
Nobody questions you about having to post on pretty much every thread out there. Mind your own business and let the mods look after this stuff. It's their job, not yours!

:pop2:

Nano
07-03-2012, 03:02 AM

I think somebodies mad again. Forget what happened last time? :lol::lol::lol:

reefwars
07-03-2012, 03:05 AM
I think somebodies mad again. Forget what happened last time? :lol::lol::lol:

:pop2:

The Grizz
07-03-2012, 04:38 PM

Mods need to give you a permit time out from this forum. The PM you sent a friend of my was UNCALLED FOR & frankly you are the one that should mind your own business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Madreefer
07-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Mods need to give you a permit time out from this forum. The PM you sent a friend of my was UNCALLED FOR & frankly you are the one that should mind your own business.

I was told that if I had an issue with a member than to keep it to Pm's which I have. And you should really learn how to spell.

Nano
07-03-2012, 05:08 PM
I was told that if I had an issue with a member than to keep it to Pm's which I have. And you should really learn how to spell.

yikes
you know a while back you had an "episode" where you bantered on about how much this forum sucks, and RC was so much better, and you wouldn't be back.. but here you are

Lonesome?

need to talk?

The Grizz
07-03-2012, 05:24 PM

I will learn to spell as soon as you learn to keep your mouth shut!! You seem to have a lot of issues most I would think could be control with the proper meds.

Aquattro
07-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Guys, if the insults are going to keep flying here, all three of you will get a break. If you have problems, take it to PM or add the person you don't like to your ignore list.

And no, there is no Garf grunge here.

The Grizz
07-03-2012, 05:28 PM
I'm done!! I have better things to do with my time.

Aquattro
07-03-2012, 05:31 PM
I'm done!! I have better things to do with my time.

I would expect so :razz:

reefwars
07-03-2012, 06:31 PM
I think I left my popcorn here .....oops there it is....awesome see you all later (om nom nom munch,munch,munch)

gregzz4
07-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Guess I should have used one of these :boink: as I was only poking fun :lol: