PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer for my 125g?

johnmac
05-26-2002, 08:59 AM
Hey guys, here is my first posting..
I am in the process of setting up a 125g saltwater. Im trying to decide on a skimmer. My LFS says that a Skilter 400 in my sump will be fine. Im planing to soft corals and of course fish..So my question is, Is a Skilter 400 sufficent or should I be looking at something else? This is my first saltwater tank. If its not sufficent could you recomend a good skimmer?

fishnut
05-26-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by North Atlantic Fish:
Hey guys, here is my first posting..
I am in the process of setting up a 125g saltwater. Im trying to decide on a skimmer. My LFS says that a Skilter 400 in my sump will be fine. Im planing to soft corals and of course fish..So my question is, Is a Skilter 400 sufficent or should I be looking at something else? This is my first saltwater tank. If its not sufficent could you recomend a good skimmer?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Congratulations on your first posting, and for checking out the suggestions of other hobbyists - hobbyists who have actually used the products and who are not trying to sell you anything.

IMO the Skilter may have its uses, but there are better options for a large tank such as yours where the emphasis is on fish. I am running a DAS BX-1 skimmer on my reef with soft and hard corals, and fish, and I am very happy with it. It is easy to clean, collects a large amount of dark, smelly scum in a short time, and does not need to be constantly adjusted and fiddled with. There is a larger model, the BX-2, for larger tanks.

Jack
05-26-2002, 12:43 PM
I'm sure you fill find that anyone will tell you the Skilter is probably your worst choice, im sure a Seaclone would be a better choice tongue.gif Haha, can't talk much I have to go to work but I'm sure someone else will help you out.. bye!

Jacoda
05-26-2002, 01:50 PM
Skilter wouldn't work for a large tank like the one you have, even with airstone modifications.

But I am using it on my 15g nano reef with counter current airstone modifications also filled the chambers with Caulerpa and attach a 13watt pc fixture to it, it's been working great for me.

Aquattro
05-26-2002, 01:51 PM
Sorry, the skilter isn't going to cut it. Not even close. Your choice will depend on the amount of bioload you plan on having, but your better off with a downdraft or Beckett injected skimmer. There are a lot of options via mailorder. Check www.jlaquatics.com. (http://www.jlaquatics.com.) I see you're from the east coast..also check www.aquariumpros.ca. (http://www.aquariumpros.ca.) Both of these places can sell you a skimmer you'll be happy with.

DJ88
05-26-2002, 01:57 PM
Welcome North Atl Fish.

How's the ROck doing? I lived right next to Quidi VIdi lake for a coupole o years. Miss St John's. :D

Ok skimmer.

There are lots of options you can put on your tank. Your best bet is a insump skimmer. There are lots of different models and styles you can get. If you search the boards online you will probably find that some of the best are companies like Euro Reef, Precision Marine, DAS. I have run a bullet3 myself from Precision Marine. Good company great skimmer. Ther eis also the option of making one yourself if you have access to the equiment you need to make it. Or buying one made by someone on the net.

In general manufacturers seem to 'overrate' the size of tank a skimmer cna run on. for example they say a skilter or seaclone will work on a tank up to 100 gallons. Not a chance. They make them sounds bettter than they are.

I'd suggest taking a read of boards like this or Reef Central and seeing what others are using. Also keep an eye on the for sale forums on the boards. You can find some great deals.

Most people on a board won't steer you wrong.

Good start by asking before you buy. smile.gif you'll save yourself a headache(and money) down the road that is for sure.

Welcome again.

johnmac
05-26-2002, 02:54 PM
Thanks a lot guys for all your help and suggestions. There is a Berlin skimmer at the LFS, so maybe Ill take another look at that model. I really didnt think a skilter would cut it..

DJ88...That is so cool that you lived here in St.Johns, you are the first person I have talked to online that has actually lived here...COOL...

Thanks again for all the info guys...Dont worry Ill have a lot more questions to come..

canadawest
05-26-2002, 05:19 PM
Hey NAF, I use a Berlin hang-on skimmer and it works great on my 100gal tank. They are a good quality skimmer, but I wouldn't pay full LFS price for one.

There are many deals on used ones as people upgrade, and you should be able to find them selling for $150-200 in your local classifieds, or reef board buy/sell. I got mine from a friend for $150, and it's worth every penny. I wouldn't have paid $350 for it new though, as there are better skimmers out there in that price range.

Moral of the story, always see what others are getting rid of, there are some great deals out there!

EmilyB
05-26-2002, 06:07 PM
You can't go wrong with a Euro-reef. It's worth every penny for performance and ease of maintenance.

I gave away my Berlin. No comparison whatsoever. tongue.gif

stephane
05-28-2002, 03:49 AM
buy right the first time and buy only once the
best and the last skimmer you would buy could
be a becket or a euroreef all other IMO are not very efficient and will end up in the closet take my 10 years experience for it

if you go becket Titus made the canreef
if you like to buy from us Myreef have one to
or you could orther a euroreef but all those are not 200$ skimmer they are what you need for a tank that size. dont read what on the box or you will be rub by a salesman

you want a big tank you need to spend big $

stephane
05-28-2002, 03:51 AM
by the way this is MY SHARK!!!! :D

titus
05-28-2002, 06:29 AM
Hello NAF,

Oh my, we have a Newfy here!!

<H2>What are you at, By?!</H2>

johnmac
05-28-2002, 08:42 AM
Hey guys thanks for the advice,

I think what I will do is get the berlin at the LFS, but I will look into it a little further,
Is it correct to run the skimmer inline before the filter media? Like take the plumbing from the tank, then to the skimmer then dump into the filter media, then past the heating then back to the tank??

Stephane: I didnt steal your shark, I have been using it on myfishtank.net for months, and I got it from www.animations.dabsol.co.uk/Fish (http://www.animations.dabsol.co.uk/Fish) very sorry its yours here, I had no idea, and will change it, no hard feelings??

Titus: Not much man, whats up. Have you been here too?? I know DJ88 has..
Its good to be here, this place rocks!! smile.gif

stephane
05-28-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by North Atlantic Fish:
Hey guys thanks for the advice,

Stephane: I didnt steal your shark, I have been using it on myfishtank.net for months, and I got it from www.animations.dabsol.co.uk/Fish (http://www.animations.dabsol.co.uk/Fish) very sorry its yours here, I had no idea, and will change it, no hard feelings??

smile.gif <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No man I was just joking!!!! you could keep it
dont worry

johnmac
05-28-2002, 12:59 PM
Thanks Stephane, I love that shark, haha :D

titus
05-30-2002, 04:49 AM
Hello,

Nah I've just met a few Nufies from working in the Army. And yes, generally speaking you should run your skimmer first. This allows any excess bubbles returned by the skimmer to dissipate before returning to the display tank.

[ 30 May 2002, 00:50: Message edited by: Titus ]