PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a reliable plug and play ATO

Fellow
11-12-2010, 07:31 PM
The return section of my sump is so small (~5gallon) that it needs to be topped up every day or the return pump starts sucking air.

I am looking for a trusted ATO that will work out of the box and preferably something with built in redundancy.

dstasiuk
11-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Hard to go wrong with a Tunze Osmolator...

gobytron
11-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Tunze osmo all the way.
BEST purchase I ever made for my sump.

Myka
11-13-2010, 04:34 PM
I wouldn't consider anything other than the Tunze Osmolator on my tank. That's what it has now, and nothing else would be an option for me.

fkshiu
11-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Another one for the Osmolator.

Remember what Vince says: "The Germans always make good stuff."
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/fkshiu/090218-shamwow.jpg

FitoPharmer
11-13-2010, 06:47 PM
Vince also says: "Stay away from cannibal prostitutes"
http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2009/03/SHAMWOW-GUY.jpg

...Sorry I couldn't help myself...

But, yeah Tunze ozmo is the best ATO.

lastlight
11-13-2010, 07:43 PM
Another vote for Tunze. Have owned two and will never run a tank without one.

mike31154
11-13-2010, 08:24 PM
If you have the room and want to keep it simple, gravity feed from a raised container. Either use a mechanical float valve or a dual tube set up to control the level. Another advantage is that it's not affected by power outage. Of course a power outage brings with it all kinds of other issues....

daniella3d
11-13-2010, 10:09 PM
I use 2 JBJ ATO on my 2 tank and they have worked flawlessly for a year now. Much less expensive than the tunzee which was not in my budget for my 2 aquariums.

The return section of my sump is so small (~5gallon) that it needs to be topped up every day or the return pump starts sucking air.

I am looking for a trusted ATO that will work out of the box and preferably something with built in redundancy.

Pescador
11-14-2010, 07:25 PM
For another option check out Blue Line's Tsunami AT1 (http://www.bluelineaquatics.com/products/topoff_system/index.html)I've used one for 8 years literally without any maintenance. No moving parts it uses air pressure.
You should be able to find one for $60-$70
Don't use the suction cup, zip tie it to a bracket.

fishytime
11-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Tunze

randallino
11-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Tunze 3 years running.

lastlight
11-14-2010, 11:48 PM
For another option check out Blue Line's Tsunami AT1 (http://www.bluelineaquatics.com/products/topoff_system/index.html)I've used one for 8 years literally without any maintenance. No moving parts it uses air pressure.
You should be able to find one for $60-$70
Don't use the suction cup, zip tie it to a bracket.

From their site:

>> When the water level in the sump drops 1", the AT1 will turn on the reservoir pump and turn it off after the sump fills up 1".

That could allow for some significant salinity fluctuations depending on the size of the sump/compartment the sensor is in. What I like about the Tunze is the precision.

Pescador
11-15-2010, 12:50 AM
From their site:

>> When the water level in the sump drops 1", the AT1 will turn on the reservoir pump and turn it off after the sump fills up 1".

That could allow for some significant salinity fluctuations depending on the size of the sump/compartment the sensor is in. What I like about the Tunze is the precision.

It depends on your sump for sure, an inch in my sump is about 6.25g in a 330g system. I like that it doesn't cycle the RO/DI to the top up barrel too often and I still can't (knock on wood) get over how reliable it's been.

intarsiabox
11-15-2010, 03:21 AM
I have no personal experience with the units but have heard good things about the ones on autotopoff.com. The tunze units are good too, the only complaints I've heard from a couple of people is that the pumps don't last very long.

fkshiu
11-15-2010, 03:36 AM
I have no personal experience with the units but have heard good things about the ones on autotopoff.com. The tunze units are good too, the only complaints I've heard from a couple of people is that the pumps don't last very long.

I've replaced the Osmolator pump once in about 5 years of service. Replacements cost about $25.

Poor Vince . . .

Fellow
11-15-2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks for all the responses.

Would anyone care to post a picture of how they set up their Tunze?

I'm really just looking for how you set up the pump to your reservoir. I am not sure what I will be using to hold my top up water (space in the cabinet is limited) so any ideas are welcome.

lastlight
11-15-2010, 08:44 PM
If you're near a cold air return you could always use an old tank down in the basement on some sort of shelf or stand and run the hose through the opening in the wall. I just made a hole in my wall but you get the idea. Bigger volume and not taking up space upstairs.

intarsiabox
11-16-2010, 12:19 AM
I just put an empty 20g tank beside my sump on the return side, a short piece of hose from the pump into the return section and voila! I'm assuming you already know but the float switch of what ever brand you choose also goes into the return section of the sump.

fishytime
11-16-2010, 02:25 AM
The tunze units are good too, the only complaints I've heard from a couple of people is that the pumps don't last very long.

I dont know how many others will admit to this but.......I had to replace the pump on my Tunze after about two years but I suspect that is because I had forgot to top up the reservoir and the pump had run dry on several occasions:redface:.....I would think that I would have greatly extended the life of the pump if I wasnt such a bonehead:lol:....even so it is a relatively cheap part to replace:wink: