PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Pump

zulu_principle
12-09-2003, 05:07 AM
I changing my home system to a glass tank (60 gallon) and my idea is putting my chiller in the crawl space under the house and running this to a 3/4 inch sea swirl.

In addition for circulation i am going to run a closed loop with a quiet one and a squid that will be turned off in the evening. For those that run these at home, any noise ?

My question is I dont need a super large pump but was thinking about a mak 4, thoughts ?

Thanks for the input.

Wendell

Delphinus
12-09-2003, 05:12 AM
I don't have much to compare it to, only other inline I've used are Mag drives, and Little Giants, but I'm pretty happy with the Mak4 I use. Seems to deal with backpressure, not that noisy (compared to a Little Giant) .. does have some minor fan noise but I found it to be tolerable.

Aquattro
12-09-2003, 05:44 AM
Tony, how would you compare the noise of a MAK 4 to say, a MAG 18? Steve's MAK 4 is very loud, I find.

zulu_principle
12-09-2003, 06:01 AM
Will i have to be worried about the noise from the crawl space ?

What about the 6 foot head ?

Thanks

Wendell

Aquattro
12-09-2003, 06:36 AM
Wendell, Steve's is also remote, but I find it noisy still. He thinks it's fine, but compared to my submerged MAG 12&18, it's noisy. I think it would handle the head fine if the noise wasn't an issue.

Delphinus
12-09-2003, 04:59 PM
I have both a Mak4 and a Mag18 (submerged), but interestingly I've never really compared them noisewise. I guess in my own (very subjective) measurement I don't really notice a significant difference between those two pumps, both definitely have a small contribution to the ambient din of the room, but there are really too many competing variables to really say anything meaningful (fan noise, other pumps, etc.) about comparing those two pumps to each other directly. They seem about the same, actually. I'm surprised you can hear the Mak4 in another room, that sounds way noisier than the one I have, which enclosed in a stand, barely seems noticeable outside the stand.

Aquattro
12-09-2003, 05:32 PM
Tony, the pump Steve has could not possibly go in a living space, IMO .

I'll have to find a different pump to check out. Wendell, isn't Jack running a MAK4 on his? Maybe you check it out.

ldzielak
12-11-2003, 05:17 AM
I still have my MAK4 and was running a MAG18 not submerged. Mag was almost 2 times louder. I used a T4 to replace the MAG18 on the closed loop to my chiller, dead silent.

I have the MAK4 as my return, enclosed under my stand, noise, yes, but I have tried way too many pump, only pumps that touch it for pressure are way more money and louder.

Lee

zulu_principle
12-11-2003, 12:16 PM
Thanks guys

StirCrazy
12-13-2003, 03:56 PM
what Brad hears is the noise off the skimmer pump, the return pump is actualy reasoably quiet. I actualy had almost as much noise running two mag 12's. one of the bigest problems I am having now is that when you put back pressure on a MAK 4 they get louder, and the fact that I have them in a small "space" that is only seperated by drywall from the front room. this is causing it to act as a eco chamber so I need to put insulation around the pumps to stop the noise.

Zulu, I think if you put them in your crawl space you would be fine as you could always put some insulation around them if you found them to loud.

Steve