PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Yellow Coris Wrasse Info

paddyob
11-10-2010, 08:19 PM
So I may... MAY... add a Yellow Coris Wrasse to my tank. Primarily for preventative measures against flatworms or pyramid snails.

All the info I have seen says they "may not be reef safe".

Can anyone shed light on this? I do not want to add another trouble fish to my system and have to rip my tank apart to get him out. Again.

Thanks

Milad
11-10-2010, 08:32 PM
im going to tag along
my yellow coris seems to be a model citzen. he goes to bed early and gets up early. gets chased by the maroon every once in awhile and when hes out, hes relaly high up by the lights and always swimming around

The Codfather
11-11-2010, 01:34 AM
Hey Patrick, if you want one let me know. I have one that you can have, just have to catch it, but I have a trap. Should be easy.

Delphinus
11-11-2010, 01:42 AM
The few that I've had have always been model citizens and they did take care of the flatworms that appeared in the tank. I really like these fish. Like mentioned, early to sleep. You'll need a sandbed too otherwise they will be out of sorts (they'll actually try to bury themselves in the glass or rock if there's no sand, well you can guess how that's going to end). Anyhow the one thing to be wary of is that they are jumpers, and don't underestimate what they are capable of escaping..

whatcaneyedo
11-11-2010, 02:04 AM
Great little fish. Mine would eat flatworms, very small snails, bristle worms, mysis, and pellet food. It jumped out of a 50gal once and landed in the sump (I got lucky). Burried itself in the sand each night and whenever it got scared.

Marlin65
11-11-2010, 02:50 AM
Mine was great as well untill it jumped out of the tank.:sad:

Milad
11-11-2010, 03:50 AM
You guys Gota do the mesh mod that's in my build thread. It's so easy and you don't lose fish to them jumping out.

Mandosh
11-11-2010, 05:35 AM
You guys Gota do the mesh mod that's in my build thread. It's so easy and you don't lose fish to them jumping out.

mine ended up on top of the egg crate...twice

Delphinus
11-11-2010, 05:39 AM
Mine made it through an eggcrate cover too. I think he jumped with such force he actually lifted the eggcrate right up and then it fell back in place because I just can't believe a 5/8" girth fish could otherwise find a trajectory through 1/2" square holes and pass through. The bird net idea might be better than eggcrate but I'd say it needs to be weighted down somehow. Wrasses are very persistent at wanting to jump out, it's worth the extra effort to make sure they can't do it.. IMO

daniella3d
11-11-2010, 02:50 PM
That's really ugly on a rimless tank though..no can do.

I have yet to find a mesh that will look good on my Osaka aquarium. I think if there is no aggression the wrasse have much less risk of jumping out. I had my yellow wrasse for months and he never jumped out until I bought a checkerboard and he strated to chase the yellow and then a few day later the yellow jumped out in from of me. I sold it because they could not get along.

Milad
11-11-2010, 05:22 PM
That's really ugly on a rimless tank though..no can do.

I have yet to find a mesh that will look good on my Osaka aquarium. I think if there is no aggression the wrasse have much less risk of jumping out. I had my yellow wrasse for months and he never jumped out until I bought a checkerboard and he strated to chase the yellow and then a few day later the yellow jumped out in from of me. I sold it because they could not get along.

true on a rimless tank it might not be super pretty, on mine with the rim, you cant even see it and as you can tell from the pictures its actually sweet looking if you are tall enough to see it.

also its a tight fit and no fish could lift it.

Zoaelite
11-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Mine made it through an eggcrate cover too. I think he jumped with such force he actually lifted the eggcrate right up and then it fell back in place because I just can't believe a 5/8" girth fish could otherwise find a trajectory through 1/2" square holes and pass through. The bird net idea might be better than eggcrate but I'd say it needs to be weighted down somehow. Wrasses are very persistent at wanting to jump out, it's worth the extra effort to make sure they can't do it.. IMO

In my old 54g I had a whack load of egg crating set up for holding frags and my adult Red Corris (About 5 inches long by atleast an inch dorsal to ventral) would regularly swim right through it. Of course he would swim right through it to knock all my frags over but that's a different story.

My yellow has been a model citizen for his whole duration in the tank, he never fights and is constantly on the hunt. Great fish to keep for sure!

Delphinus
11-11-2010, 05:48 PM
Swimming through, I could sort of visualize, but jumping - you'd think he's already going to come out of the water surface at an angle .. either way I'm just impressed (for lack of a better word) that he managed his way through it (by lifting it or passing through, who knows..).

paddyob
11-11-2010, 05:58 PM
true on a rimless tank it might not be super pretty, on mine with the rim, you cant even see it and as you can tell from the pictures its actually sweet looking if you are tall enough to see it.

also its a tight fit and no fish could lift it.

Post the link Milad. I am interested to see.

daniella3d
11-11-2010, 06:17 PM
I am not surprised. If you look at how a wrase dive into practicaly solid substract and sand like it was going through butter, it does not surprise me they can slice their body into the egg crate holes.

Swimming through, I could sort of visualize, but jumping - you'd think he's already going to come out of the water surface at an angle .. either way I'm just impressed (for lack of a better word) that he managed his way through it (by lifting it or passing through, who knows..).