PDA

View Full Version : VHO flicker

Delphinus
05-29-2002, 02:51 PM
Put some new VHO actinics in my 75g hood this morning.

One has an awful flicker. I can see little waves dancing back and forth across the tube.

What could cause this? Bad bulb? Bad ballast? Bad wiring? Bad spacing of the sockets?

I don't think it's socket spacing, because they press in on the tubes with a little bit of pressure.

It could very easily be wiring, since everything is DIY. But what should I look for?

The sockets aren't grounded. I'm not sure how to ground the sockets, they're mostly plastic, and they're screwed into wood. Ground the screws maybe? But then do I have to ground EVERY screw???

The reason I swapped out my old tubes was because they weren't lighting all of a sudden. Well they were lighting, but extremely dim. The ends had blackened a bit. They are old bulbs, but I think the blackening is a recent thing.

Heat problems maybe? They do have a fan blowing across them because of the heat from the Iwasaki's.

For now I've just left the VHO's off. Need some ideas what to check for here.. Dang it, I hate fluorescents sometimes! Not quite so cut and dry as other lights.

PS. growing from 110W white tubes, to 110W actinic blue tubes ... what a disappointing sudden lack of intensity. Darn it all, need to shoehorn some more tubes in there now.

Delphinus
05-29-2002, 02:58 PM
Oh wait, I just realized something. Monday I had forgotten to turn my fan back on after I had been playing around with things, so things got rather heated in there that day (luckily the tank temp never exceeded 30C). But the hood was probably pretty hot, and maybe that explains the blackening and demise of the old VHO tubes.

But it doesn't explain the flicker on the new tubes. So, still need some suggestions on how to improve things there.

I've never used VHO actinics before. Do they need a burn-in period maybe? They're URI tubes, I thought those were the best to get.

BTW, it's just a standard tar ballast, I wish I could have an Icecap, maybe one day.

DJ88
05-29-2002, 02:59 PM
Tony,

What ballast are you running? It sounds like there isn't enough current into the lamps. but I can tell more once I know the ballast.

Actinics will be dimmer. Not much you can do there. all the energy going in is in one wavelength than a full spectrum which our eyes see better. You can run one of each with no problem. in the end with my 33 I was running one 10KK aquasun and two actinics. I liked that combo.

DJ88
05-29-2002, 03:04 PM
Is it a magnatek ballast? hmm..I'd say loose connection somewhere. Possibly close to making a complete break so that it still allows some conenction. If your old ones worked fine with no flicker and after changing your lamps you noticed the flicker I'd lay a frag on a lose wire. go around and wiggle the wires when it is turned on. You'll knbow pretty wuick. ;)

The blackening is just due to use. Mine did this after only 6 months on an Iceacap 430.

You know you can run VHO's off of a workhorse ballast. get a workhorse 7 and you are set. They are about $60-70 I think. Much better. They will run the lamps much more efficiently than the old balalst. The workhorse 6 is rated for 220W so you will be fine with it.

[ 29 May 2002, 11:06: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

AJ_77
05-29-2002, 05:02 PM
These lower mainland guys - sheesh! They have a group of Fulham dealers.

Here's the page (http://www.fulham.com/dealerontario.html) that lists them.

None in sunny Alberta, though...

[ 29 May 2002, 13:02: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]

DJ88
05-29-2002, 05:21 PM
Alan,

lol..

TOny,

if you wanted one(workhorse) I am sure we could make some kind of arrangement with our other shipment that is upcoming. Sound good? :D

CHEAPREEF
05-29-2002, 05:25 PM
Just to let you knoe, Workhorse 7 ballasts are $42. I got mine last week shipped to Edmonton for $53. It works very nicely, going to check how much it's actually overdriving those NO tonight.

Clinton

Delphinus
05-29-2002, 05:30 PM
One more question. How should I ground my VHO tubes? Should I, indeed, attach a ground wire to every screw securing each socket to the canopy? (I have two screws per socket.) Or, should I just stick some aluminium tape to each bulb and ground that, and will that be sufficient?

PS. DJ - sent you a PM...

PPS. Clinton ... WHERE from were they $42?? This magical "AllBrite" (sp?) I hear tales told of? :D

[ 29 May 2002, 13:31: Message edited by: delphinus ]

DJ88
05-29-2002, 06:16 PM
Al lyou are supposed to do is ground the case of the ballast. Attach a wire to the ballast then ground that. You can do that in any way shape or form you feel.. Well ok. the best way to do it is to take that ground and attach it to the third(ground prong on the plug you used to hook the ballast up with). you know which pin I mean right? the rounded pin. Not the blades.

"albrite" is a fun place to shop for lighting stuff. I guess Fullham is coming out with some new MH balalsts. :D can't wait.

Reading your PM now.

Cheepreef,

Where are you getting your workhorses for $42? Albrite is $56 here.

[ 29 May 2002, 14:20: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

Delphinus
05-29-2002, 06:23 PM
Ohhh... Ok. The VHO fixture that I scavenged had the reflector grounded, and the sockets were of course screwed into that. Since I had no use for that reflector I have this extra grounding wire from the ballast that right now goes nowhere. The reflector I am currently using has no contact with any of the sockets. If I ever get some time I'm going to take my hood down and ground the heck out of a lot of things in there since currently nothing is grounded (MH sockets, VHO sockets, 2 reflectors, and 2 fans).

The ballast itself is already grounded with the three-prong plug. So maybe the VHO isn't as badly off as I feared.

PS. If these new MH ballasts are going to be priced anywhere similar to the pricing of these other ballasts ... Keen, what cool new toys. :D

[ 29 May 2002, 14:32: Message edited by: delphinus ]

DJ88
05-29-2002, 06:33 PM
Try connecting a wire from that extra wire to the screws. only one per socket should be fine. smile.gif Sounds like you may have found the problem on your own. ;)

PS you have mail.

CHEAPREEF
05-29-2002, 07:07 PM
Hey guys, i got the ballast form Classic Lighting Products #604 420 3816. (i think, i'll double check when i get home) I wanted to get a price on the MH ballasts but they didn't have any yet. I'll let you guys know how the tests go.

Clinton

CHEAPREEF
05-29-2002, 10:18 PM
Yep that's the place, the address is 8083 Winston ST, Burnaby, B.c. Hope that helps.

Clinton

Jacoda
05-29-2002, 11:30 PM
OH BOY!

That's almost next door from me.......... :D

Chin_Lee
05-30-2002, 01:30 AM
This workhorse 7 thing is getting me really curious. How does it run VHO?? And how many bulbs?
CWLee

DJ88
05-30-2002, 02:32 AM
It is an electronic ballast. Same as an Icecap. Nothing magical about it at all. Just cheaper. :D

Delphinus
05-30-2002, 04:49 AM
Thanks for the info. I think it's a Magnetec ballast, I'll have to look at the sticker again to be certain. It's a pretty heavy beast, looks just like a typical fluorescent ballast just about 3-4 times larger.

A loose wire. Hmmm, could be. I'll do the wiggle test as you suggest.

Who makes this Workhorse ballast? Can I just go to any lighting supplier and ask for one, and hope that they know what I'm talking about?