PDA

View Full Version : 10 gal stocking ideas

nanochef
11-10-2010, 01:11 AM
hey, was just looking for input/opinions on stocking ideas for a 10 gal. my idea is to have a zoa dominant tank with a few "stragglers". ive been poking around to see what others have, and i see alot of clowns, i was hoping for something different but if not at least my girlfriend will be happy :razz:

reefwars
11-10-2010, 01:27 AM
hey, was just looking for input/opinions on stocking ideas for a 10 gal. my idea is to have a zoa dominant tank with a few "stragglers". ive been poking around to see what others have, and i see alot of clowns, i was hoping for something different but if not at least my girlfriend will be happy :razz:

my roomate just set up a 10g and were thinking on what hes gonna get for fish so id like to see what others have as well:)

bkelly
11-10-2010, 01:31 AM
got a fire fish and a clown goby in my 5g

lastlight
11-10-2010, 01:46 AM
Fill it with chaeto then plumb it into a nice 90 or 120 as a fuge :mrgreen:

But seriously I'd have a blenny in there for sure. Lawnmower or bicolor because I've had them and love them... or a tailspot because they're adorable.

Rbacchiega
11-10-2010, 02:03 AM
some smaller gobies would be bad ass...I had a pair of yashia's in a 10 gallon (well, approx 6 gallon display)

nanochef
11-10-2010, 02:44 AM
been thinking about blennies cuz i had an algae bloom lol so i told my LFS to order me in a lawnmower blenny but sure enough i turn the lights on the next day and my 2 snails cleaned 'er right up! so when i get the call to pick him up i still will out of good faith lol. i thought about a fire fish but i read that having the blenny with other inhabitants that have same body stucture is not a good idea?

side note: i picked up 4 snails in total, 2 astrea and 2 "west indy" pink snails <--- anyone ever seen/heard of these... they seem to be doing nothing but look nice.. i took a video of one of the lil buggers climbing out of water and having this white elogated tube with what looked like a mouth on the end squirming around.. sorry if that made no sense, how do i post videos lol? youtube?

skabooya
11-10-2010, 04:16 AM
what about an invert tank (sexy shrimp, etc) or a shrimp goby and pistol pair or dare i say it... a damsel, or chromis, or goby tank or well pretty much any nano fish.
Check out liveaquaria.com in the nano fish section to get some ideas :)

gobytron
11-10-2010, 01:58 PM
I would love to see a 5-15 gallon with 2 or 3 yellow assessors...
pricey, but would make for a really high end nano display...

nanochef
11-11-2010, 02:31 AM
i like the assessor idea, havent seen the yellow ones in my LFS. i'll keep an eye out, or depending on what he'll charge me i'll order them in.

skabooya
11-11-2010, 04:06 AM
JL Aquatics has some in right now. Its on their new and noteworthy page

nanochef
11-12-2010, 02:10 PM
heading to the LFS today after class, GF was down for the assessors till she found the price and almost cut my head off... tis life i guess. we did decide on a royal gramma, yellow watchmen (or other shrimp goby) and a pistol shrimp. any objections?

gobytron
11-12-2010, 02:17 PM
Grammas are my personal favourite all time fish...in fact, I have 4 as the main attraction in my 95 display...

After I reccod a few assessors to you and found out Rene had brought in some ORA ones for 50.00 I went and picked another up to add to my 12 gallon so I now have a pair in there, will likely get 1 more this weekend for a trio and see how that goes or maybe I'll try and pull my blue out of my 95 and add it to these 2...

after paying 130$ for the wild caught one, 50$ felt like a steal,,,be forewarned though, the captive bred pale in colour comparison to the wild caught.

skabooya
11-12-2010, 02:26 PM
just so you know. If you want a goby shrimp pair its best to buy them as a pair already. They dont always pair up if you buy them seperate. Also, the ones that pair up are the ones that look similar to eachother.

gobytron
11-12-2010, 02:57 PM
IME, in a smaller tank, any prawn goby and pistol shrimp will eventually pair up...at least 9/10 times.

skabooya
11-12-2010, 05:11 PM
really?? Everyone has told me otherwise. hmmm interesting. Makes me reconsider my yasha pistol pair :)

gobytron
11-12-2010, 05:21 PM
over the years, I've had so many pairs of these...a nano is almost not complete without them in my house.

In a small tank, they almost always find one another...though sometimes it takes a week or two it's usually near instantaneous.

In larger displays, I have just used a well positioned weighted cover, like tupperware to keep them together until the shrimp builds his burow and the goby joins it.

Keep in mind, LFS often charge more for a symbiotic pair than for 2 individuals so depending on where you get your info, there may be some bias.

nanochef
11-13-2010, 02:12 AM
so the trip to the store was semi-successful. no grammas in stock so i ordered one to come in. ended up coming home with a perc clown and a scooter blenny.. can u tell the gf came with me lol? love them both none the less, great personality on the 2.. cant wait to get my R.gramma though and some corals

looking for guys/gals with frags in niagara/burlington/hamilton region, different zoas, rhics, softies

toytech
11-13-2010, 05:35 AM
you know the scooter blenny is actually a scooter Dragonet right? there dedicated copopod eaters . I have heard of lots of people training them to eat frozen foods and or marine pellets . The scooters are suposed to be easier . Im thinking of getting a scooter or a droagonet for my new 15 gal and training it so it would be great if you kept us updated on how your guy is doing .

toytech
11-13-2010, 05:47 AM
wow spelling mistakes plz ignore those lol

Samw
11-13-2010, 06:16 AM
a group of sexy shrimps
a group of candy cane trimma gobies
a group of eviota bifasciata gobies

http://www.poppe-images.com/photo/collection/930000/web/930392.jpg

http://archiv.korallenriff.de/03_evio_bifasciata12.jpg

nanochef
11-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Yes I did intact know they were dragonets, sorry for the typo. Ive seen tons of lil copepods and other microcritters so she should have plenty of food for the time being. Also, the lfs said he's been adding mysis to the tank and they were eating.. Then again he's told me alot of things, like looking closer at my clown I'm sure it's occeleris not percula, and that my scooter will eat algae lol. I'll get som video/pics up after work hopefully

toytech
11-13-2010, 05:32 PM
great to hear he eats frozen food . There great fish , tons of personality .good luck with him .

torrid_07
11-13-2010, 06:20 PM
so i am in the mix of stocking my 5g what should i put in it?
i know its small and i cant put too much in it but what would be the "right" or "best" choice. im excited to hear the results!

nanochef
11-15-2010, 07:46 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/14eaomg.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/qqo4u8.jpg

just some updated pics above ^

http://i55.tinypic.com/11t23wo.jpg
this was just for fun.

skabooya
11-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Tank is comming along nicely :)
I love boxers I want one but i dont have the energy or time to deal with their energy lol

As for a 5 gal, gobies, inverts, dartfish are what i can think of off the top of my head

nanochef
11-15-2010, 09:57 PM
i love the shrimp/goby pair if i had a 5 thats what i would do. thought about it for the 10 but decided otherwise when i brought my gf to the store with me:razz: