PDA

View Full Version : What animal is good at cleaning glass?

kaboom
11-09-2010, 01:19 PM
In freshwater aquarium, no animal does a better job at cleaning the glass than the bristlenose pleco. Is there someting that is comparable in saltwater? I am looking for a fish or invert that is capable of cleaning film or short hair algae mainly on glass. It must be able to achieve a turn over rate within a day or two. By that I mean, it must be able to clean the entire glass tank in one or two days. All my freshwater tanks have at least one bristlenose pleco and it keeps the glass looking clean enough that I hardly ever have to use a magnet. Is there such an animal for saltwater?

mark
11-09-2010, 01:55 PM
snails do spirals and Lawnmower Blennies make cute little lips marks, makes me think why most of us have Mag-float cleaners

daniella3d
11-09-2010, 01:58 PM
I think your mag float will be the way to go because even turbo snail are not going to clean 100% the entire glass no matter how many you put in the tank and if you put too many they will starve, die and pollute the water.

I don't think a pleco could be able to remove the hard corralline on glass if there was such thing in freshwater so saltwater is a very different thing.

In freshwater aquarium, no animal does a better job at cleaning the glass than the bristlenose pleco. Is there someting that is comparable in saltwater? I am looking for a fish or invert that is capable of cleaning film or short hair algae mainly on glass. It must be able to achieve a turn over rate within a day or two. By that I mean, it must be able to clean the entire glass tank in one or two days. All my freshwater tanks have at least one bristlenose pleco and it keeps the glass looking clean enough that I hardly ever have to use a magnet. Is there such an animal for saltwater?

gobytron
11-09-2010, 02:07 PM
humans.:idea:

phi delt reefer
11-09-2010, 02:15 PM

those aquarium girls...someone started a thread about the service somewhere here..

snails just dont do it for me...:D

daniella3d
11-09-2010, 03:08 PM
or this little robot:

http://www.agiaquatics.com/

not sure how much it goes for! lol!

See the video on their site..

paddyob
11-09-2010, 03:46 PM
or this little robot:

http://www.agiaquatics.com/

not sure how much it goes for! lol!

See the video on their site..

Really cool... but for $125+ I don't mind using my mag float and wiping away the glass algae.

daniella3d
11-09-2010, 04:42 PM
125$? I did not know the price but for some people who really want something that will clean the glass automaticaly, that might be the only option. I too don't mind cleaning my glass as I have very little algae that build up on the glass. Too much algae on the glass = too much nutriment or nitrates/phosphates. That's where it should be controlled :)

Really cool... but for $125+ I don't mind using my mag float and wiping away the glass algae.

sphelps
11-09-2010, 06:27 PM
$125 would be cheap, I'd pay that just for the novelty. I paid $80 for my non-automatic magnet cleaner.

Magfloats are fine for smaller tanks but for larger tanks with thicker glass than 1/4" you'll want the rare earth type with replaceable pads. This is really your best algae cleaner for glass, no saltwater pleco exists.

FishyFishy!
11-09-2010, 07:03 PM
$125 would be cheap, I'd pay that just for the novelty. I paid $80 for my non-automatic magnet cleaner.

Magfloats are fine for smaller tanks but for larger tanks with thicker glass than 1/4" you'll want the rare earth type with replaceable pads. This is really your best algae cleaner for glass, no saltwater pleco exists.

Sooooo agree! if you add up how much you pay for a really good magnet cleaner, and then snails and lawnmower blenny.... You're probably just as likely to spend the same if not more money. I like it! haha. My frikin tunze magnet was over $100.

globaldesigns
11-09-2010, 08:44 PM

HEHE, +1... You beat me to it

Sorry, but I think we do the best job over any marine animal/invert.

Wayne
11-10-2010, 03:30 AM
From what I am told Zeovit will equal no algae to be cleaned.