PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts

reefcanada
11-09-2010, 04:24 AM
Hi canreef, I need help with a tank thought. Would you set this tank up

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af97/reefcanada/mynewtank030.jpg

It is 72"(L) x 30(W) x 26 (H) a water volume of 250 gallons. It has a starphire front and a one piece euro starphire eurobrace.

Or would you guys/girls go with a 80(L) x 60(W) x 24(H)? Total volume of 415 gallons. It would have a starphire front, dual back overflows, hammerhead pump on a closed loop with six returns in the bottom. Two returns in the overflows. Lighting would be two 48" 8 bulb tek lights.

So what would you guys and girls do? Thanks alot for all of the imput.

toytech
11-09-2010, 04:35 AM
I like the 250 idea better , I personally like a long tank thats narrow seems like more swim room and I like to look at my corals up close

Milad
11-09-2010, 04:45 AM
you have extra 415 laying around? ill take it

Lance
11-09-2010, 04:50 AM
If you've got the room and the wallet go for the big fella. 60" deep is awesome! Aquascaping heaven!

reefcanada
11-09-2010, 04:52 AM
you have extra 415 laying around? ill take it

Sorry man.

Milad
11-09-2010, 04:56 AM
i would setup the 415 btw, i setup my 180 and I wish I went bigger. something like 600g
8x4x2. but i do like that one piece euro, thats sick. what are the notches for on the sides?

kien
11-09-2010, 04:56 AM
The 415 is like a mini ocean!! I wouldn't ever set one up tho personally :). Larger tank means larger more expensive equipment and upkeep, especially if it is a reef. If you can swing it awesome I say go big!

reefcanada
11-09-2010, 04:59 AM
The 415 is like a mini ocean!! I wouldn't ever set one up tho personally :). Larger tank means larger more expensive equipment and upkeep, especially if it is a reef. If you can swing it awesome I say go big!

I would replace my softie reef, so the cost would not be that great and I have most of the gear already.

Milad
11-09-2010, 05:00 AM

i beg to differ on that. I think there is a fine balance.

I just got a 14g nano to house some clowns and I swear that thing is so annoying compared to my 180g. For a water change i split water everywhere and **** got messed up and all kinds of stuff.

the 180 i can do a water change in like 5min while having tea, no spills

i think there is a point where it can be too large but i dont think 415 would be too large. would be fun!

reefcanada
11-09-2010, 05:00 AM
i would setup the 415 btw, i setup my 180 and I wish I went bigger. something like 600g
8x4x2. but i do like that one piece euro, thats sick. what are the notches for on the sides?

The notches are for my power head cords, if I was to need them. This way they just slide over the ends and not over the eurobrace and over.

kien
11-09-2010, 05:02 AM
I would replace my softie reef, so the cost would not be that great and I have most of the gear already.

It sounds like you are already ahead of the game! :)

Keep in mind the ongoing cost too tho. Heating, lighting, water, salt, additives, time :). All is directly proportional to the size if your tank.

reefcanada
11-09-2010, 05:07 AM
It sounds like you are already ahead of the game! :)

Keep in mind the ongoing cost too tho. Heating, lighting, water, salt, additives, time :). All is directly proportional to the size if your tank.

You will have to come over one day Kien. I already have a 400 gal fw tank, a 200 gal softie reef, a 60 gal sps reef, a 150 gal eel tank and a 14 gal amano plant tank. I would replace the 200 and shut down the eel tank if I did this. So I think I would break even. Maybe

Delphinus
11-09-2010, 05:07 AM
That's quite a choice. Both tanks are pretty nice, but they're hardly comparable. It's like asking if you'd rather have a really big camper or a ... um .. I'm stuck on a metaphor here .. a ferry. Seems to me it depends on what fits the space, budget, energy level for maintenance, etc. .. and what's going into it.

kien
11-09-2010, 05:10 AM
i beg to differ on that. I think there is a fine balance.

I just got a 14g nano to house some clowns and I swear that thing is so annoying compared to my 180g. For a water change i split water everywhere and **** got messed up and all kinds of stuff.

the 180 i can do a water change in like 5min while having tea, no spills

i think there is a point where it can be too large but i dont think 415 would be too large. would be fun!

You don't have to "beg" to differ :)

can't you just scoop out 1.4 gallons and then dump back in 1.4 gallons for a 10% change on the nano? It would also seem to me that making up 10% water changes for a 14g wouldn't take as long or as much resources (time, money, salt, water, etc..) as the 180g.

kien
11-09-2010, 05:14 AM
You will have to come over one day Kien. I already have a 400 gal fw tank, a 200 gal softie reef, a 60 gal sps reef, a 150 gal eel tank and a 14 gal amano plant tank. I would replace the 200 and shut down the eel tank if I did this. So I think I would break even. Maybe

Wow.. In that case, man up and set them both up! Better yet, plumb them both together!! Now we're talking! :D

Milad
11-09-2010, 05:22 AM
You don't have to "beg" to differ :)

can't you just scoop out 1.4 gallons and then dump back in 1.4 gallons for a 10% change on the nano? It would also seem to me that making up 10% water changes for a 14g wouldn't take as long or as much resources (time, money, salt, water, etc..) as the 180g.

nano doesnt have a skimmer so i do ~3-4g water change
taking it out takes longer than my setup on the 180g
and its also messy because i dropped the hose and it went everywhere.

then when i poured the water back in, all kinds of stuff got knocked over

the 180g i just flip a switch on the computer and drink my tea, flip another switch, drink some more tea, then play some starcraft while fresh water is being added for new sw mix.
i guess i just setup the 180g better than the nano. I even have to top off the nano because it doesnt have a ATO yet.

funny part is im going to make it easier to do the water changes soon because i want it done in under 5min and i want to be able to do it remotely just in case.

anyways, my vote is 415 kien is 250
and I would suggest to go peninsula (or 4 side viewable) for the added fun since you already got a bunch of tanks that im assuming are standard viewable. you gota challenge yourself!

reefcanada
11-09-2010, 05:32 AM
The place this tank would go, is 81" wide and the tank would slide in there perfect. I am not a fan of tanks viewable from more than two sides. Just my preference.

One thing that concerns me about this build is getting the closed loop intake so that my nems. don't crawl into it.

Milad
11-09-2010, 05:41 AM
The place this tank would go, is 81" wide and the tank would slide in there perfect. I am not a fan of tanks viewable from more than two sides. Just my preference.

One thing that concerns me about this build is getting the closed loop intake so that my nems. don't crawl into it.

but then you are missing half of the excitement in your tank!

reefcanada
11-09-2010, 05:48 AM
but then you are missing half of the excitement in your tank!

I will only have about 150 lbs of rock in this tank, so the fish should always be out.

Delphinus
11-09-2010, 05:50 AM
Split the intakes a few times, less suction same flow.

If it was reef I'd go with the 250 even if the 80x60 footprint fits. Particularly if you're not going with 3 or 4 sided viewing, really the only thing you're getting further is lots of ravine possibilities. Unless you're really into ravines ... :lol: You won't get the same close up viewing possibilities (like someone stated already), and it's gonna be a beehive working in that tank unless you harness up and suspend yourself from the ceiling and pretend you're all Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible. As fun as that sounds I wonder if the novelty will wear off eventually. Plus Tom Cruise totally ruined Mission Impossible. Plus they made Jim the bad guy? What the .. ? Really? Screw that. Go with the 250.

Unless you really need the extra volume for big fish. That would make an awesome FOWLR tank. IMHO.

lastlight
11-09-2010, 03:25 PM
I don't think you need my opinion after recent discussion Jay =) You gotta go with the bigger one! But I'd certainly take a couple tanks down at the same time lol. 60" front to back would be so bangin'!

George
11-09-2010, 05:38 PM
I will say that 250g is better if you are into SPS. Both tanks are 24" height (or close 26"). You will find that many of SPS grow vertically. They are taller than their width. I agree with people who suggest 250g that you won't be able to see things in the middle of your 400g tank if you decide to set it up.
If you are into fish, go as big as you can, in this case 400g. Fish swim around so no worry about not be able to see them, LOL.

reefcanada
11-09-2010, 06:12 PM
I will say that 250g is better if you are into SPS. Both tanks are 24" height (or close 26"). You will find that many of SPS grow vertically. They are taller than their width. I agree with people who suggest 250g that you won't be able to see things in the middle of your 400g tank if you decide to set it up.
If you are into fish, go as big as you can, in this case 400g. Fish swim around so no worry about not be able to see them, LOL.

This Tank will be replacing my softie tank, so all of the softies will call this new tank home. I have a 60 gal sps tank. That is big enough for me.

I have been thinking about this and I think I am going to go with 72(L) x 48(W) x 26(H). This will be a little bit better and I can do a one piece euro on a tank this size. 60 won't fit on the cnc deck. This new size will still be close to 400 gals and give my tangs alot of swimming room. Plus most of my softies are already too big for the 250, along with my two 24" LTA. Thanks for all of the imput.

reefcanada
11-09-2010, 06:16 PM
The other thing that I forgot to mention, is that the 250 is only 6" taller than my current softie tank. So I am only gaining 6" in hieght nothing else. That why I would like the bigger foot print. Plus I am sure the fish wouldn't mind as well. :lol:

sphelps
11-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Just go with the big one, it sounds like it's the one you really want anyway and what's the worst thing that could happen? :wink:

Reminds me of the oregon reef
http://www.oregonreef.com/

reefwars
11-09-2010, 06:41 PM
I've seen your softie tank in person and as nice as it is it's going to outgrow soon than later, obviously cost are smaller on a small tank but if you are really into it and eventually want a very large tank then I say jump on the chance to do so:) and if you sell your eel tank plus anything left over fron the softie tank will help in cost. And I'd say you buy akit of saltceither way lol:) makes me wish I had the room for your old softie tank now lol :):)