PDA

View Full Version : Where to find John Guest fittings?

Delphinus
12-08-2003, 09:04 PM
I used to get my JG fittings from Distiller Depot. I guess they've gone out of business though. :frown:

Anyone know of a good place to find JG fittings? I know Home Depot has some of the more common ones but they don't carry anywhere near a full of a selection as one might like.

Aquattro
12-08-2003, 10:43 PM
Tony, check companies that sell RO systems. I know we have a few in town here and they all carry JG fittings.

Delphinus
12-08-2003, 10:57 PM
You wouldn't beleive how many water filtration and water softener places I called today who haven't even heard of John Guest, or who otherwise told me to take a hike ("we have John Guest fittings for our own use, but we don't sell them to the public." :rolleyes: )

In a fit of frustration, I went to usplastic.com and ordered what I needed from there. This is both good and bad. Good, in that I found what I needed. Bad, in that I found easily a half dozen other gizmos and gadgets that up until now I had no idea I couldn't live without. :lol:

kari
12-09-2003, 01:37 AM
Tony;

Did you try Western Pump or Western Plastics for the JG's? What are the other gizmos you found because I think I need some those aswell?

Kari

Jack
12-09-2003, 01:40 AM
Tony what gizmos did you get?

TANGOMAN
12-09-2003, 03:28 PM
I'm sure there's a few others sitting back waiting to see who's going to expose their stupidity, so get outa' the way, 'cause here comes the Village Idiot with the question of the day ! What the hell is a JG fitting ??? :confused:

Bob I
12-09-2003, 03:36 PM
I'm sure there's a few others sitting back waiting to see who's going to expose their stupidity, so get outa' the way, 'cause here comes the Village Idiot with the question of the day ! What the hell is a JG fitting ??? :confused:

My question exactly. Who is John Guest, and what the H are his fittings. :question: :question: :question: :question: :rolleyes:

TANGOMAN
12-09-2003, 04:07 PM
Oh sure Bob, just because I'm the self proclaimed Village Idiot, now you wanna' jump on my bandwagon... :lol: . I'm drivin' this bus ! There's lot's 'o room for you Clowns in the back ! :lol:

Delphinus
12-09-2003, 04:23 PM
Bob and Doug: (hey when are we going to hear you two sing your version of the Twelve Days of Christmas, or was that a different Bob and Doug :question: ) The John Guest company is the one who came up with the "speed fit" style of tubing connector. These are the ones that you just push the tubing into the fitting, and it is permanent (until you take it off), leak proof, etc. No "threaded compression turny thingies" (technical term) just "pushy-inny thingies".

Kari, I tried Western Pump, and they only carry them up to 3/8" and I needed a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer union, so they couldn't help me there. I tried calling a place called "Western Polymers" which I thought might be "Western Plastics" but I don't think that was them ("No we do not sell valves.") I still haven't found a phone number for Western Plastics ... dunno why they're not in the book. :confused:

I was looking at some of the other things the JG company makes, and one thing that they make is a speed-fit checkvalve, another is a 2-way divider which is more like a "Y" fitting and might be a little more optimal than a "T" fitting for the calc reactor recirc-line/input-line.. :question:

Here's the page I was looking at
John Guest Fittings (http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=John+Guest+Super+Speedfit%AE+Aceta l+Push+In+Tube+Fittings&Page=1)

I guess there are a number of different places online too, all I did was go to the first link I found mentioned at RC but there are others too ( www.mcmaster.com ... http://www.portagespecialty.com/custom/JohnGuest.html ... also Wendell mentioned a place called "Farris Enterprises" to me). The usplastics.com site seemed complete enough, we'll see how long it takes them to mail a couple bits up to Canuckadaland...

TANGOMAN
12-09-2003, 04:34 PM
Ohhhh, John Guest fittings...of course ! I knew what those were ! I was tryin' to lure in 'ol Bob. "Hook line and stinker"... :lol: .
I have those on my RO/DI unit. I don't trust 'em...?
Perhaps try Fairview fittings ? They deal a lot of nylon fittings, compression and pipe thread stuff.

Delphinus
12-17-2003, 12:47 AM
Parts arrived today, yippee! Only two things make me hesitant to order from usplastics.com in the future though:

1. They only use UPS for international orders. No choice offered. They do offer a choice for US addresses. Too bad, because for small purchases, the UPS brokerage flat-fee is a little steep. Adds $35 to your purchase basically, whereas it's like $5 for regular post. Oh well. Next time, if there's a bunch of us who need stuff we oughtta do a group order and spread the pain out a little.

Too bad I noticed afterwards the John Guest/speed-fit needle valves. Slickadacious!! What are the odds of finding THAT locally? Ha! Oh well. :neutral:

2. They appear to be both a plastics/acrylic/tubing/etc. distributor, AND an evangelical church on the side. Yeah, um, great, thanks for the pamphlet on salvation... :rolleyes:

StirCrazy
12-17-2003, 01:07 AM
Parts arrived today, yippee! Only two things make me hesitant to order from usplastics.com in the future though:

1. They only use UPS for international orders. No choice offered. They do offer a choice for US addresses. Too bad, because for small purchases, the UPS brokerage flat-fee is a little steep. Adds $35 to your purchase basically, whereas it's like $5 for regular post. Oh well. Next time, if there's a bunch of us who need stuff we oughtta do a group order and spread the pain out a little.

Too bad I noticed afterwards the John Guest/speed-fit needle valves. Slickadacious!! What are the odds of finding THAT locally? Ha! Oh well. :neutral:

2. They appear to be both a plastics/acrylic/tubing/etc. distributor, AND an evangelical church on the side. Yeah, um, great, thanks for the pamphlet on salvation... :rolleyes:

do what I did, refuse the order then e-mail the company explainging that ups wants a aditional 35.00 in brokerage that you refuse to pay and could they send it USPS when they get it back. I did this for my LED orders and they even labled them as a product demo so there was no taxes :mrgreen:

mind you its probably to late for you now but this i something to keep in mind.

Steve

Delphinus
12-17-2003, 01:14 AM
Ohhh. Yeah, that's a good idea. I kind of wanted the parts though so I didn't think I had any option but to pay the fee. :frown: Lesson learned I guess.

If I order again I might try calling and explaining why I don't want UPS to ship it. Assuming it's something that can fit in an envelope like this order did there's really no excuse not to send it USPS.