PDA

View Full Version : The worst phone call in the world...

ScubaSteve
11-09-2010, 01:08 AM
Tenent below me: "Kevin, I got home about an hour and a half ago and there is water puoring through the ceiling."

Me: "Oh, f***!"

Ran home as fast as I could from work (15 minute bus ride) with all of the worst case scenarios running through my head. Forget who and how much would be dead, what about the damage to the house? I'd be totally boned!

I could barely run up the stairs when I got home and was just getting ready for the s***storm that was likely to ensue. Got up the stairs and...

There's water in the tank! THANK F***ING GOD!!!!!!

The culprit? A HOB got partially plugged at the outlet by my carbon bag and started dumping water on the floor. Only lost about 7 liters of water but it was enough to make a mess.

Dodged another bullet.... whew.....

jorjef
11-09-2010, 01:20 AM
7 litres? damn you are fast lol.... I would have been gasping after two blocks and had an empty aquarium.

SAMSHUNG
11-09-2010, 01:34 AM
Meh... every water change I do results in a partial flooding of my apartment. That's why I'm considering quitting doing them.

toytech
11-09-2010, 01:46 AM
get renters insurance , im totaly covered if my tank explodes , my insurance guy said they would even replace my tank and my fish if i made a claim

Milad
11-09-2010, 01:52 AM
get renters insurance , im totaly covered if my tank explodes , my insurance guy said they would even replace my tank and my fish if i made a claim

i would get that in writing, i asked around and couldnt find anything that would cover my fishies. just the hardware and water damage.

who do you have insurance with?

ScubaSteve
11-09-2010, 02:00 AM

Who do you have insurance with?

globaldesigns
11-09-2010, 02:03 AM
i would get that in writing, i asked around and couldnt find anything that would cover my fishies. just the hardware and water damage.

who do you have insurance with?

Actually, I do believe most home insurance policies cover things like this. My home insurance has full coverage, with no extra riders or cost. I can't comment on rental insurance though.

Aquatek
11-09-2010, 02:07 AM

Insurance will never replace livestock.

globaldesigns
11-09-2010, 02:21 AM
Insurance will never replace livestock.

Actually, not the case... I am fully covered even livestock. Now if I lose one fish, then of course not. But lets say that my DT breaks, and I lose it all... It all is covered, and I have full receipts for backup and proof.

Now, in saying that... If I have a tank crash, I am not covered. But would I want to make a claim in this case, not likely.

My suggestion is to always call your broker or insurance company directly, as not all insurance is the same.

If anyone wants to know, we are with INTACT.

howdy20012002
11-09-2010, 03:19 AM
when i had my house fire a couple of years ago.
all of my fish and corals were covered and replaced at replacement cost.
wawanesa is my insurance company.
Neal

randallino
11-09-2010, 03:58 AM
Yep been there.
The wife calls me at school, I teach an afternoon class, so security comes to my class and tells me to call the wife at home, it than dawns on me: F#### I left the valve open on the top up water, so there was about 20 L water on the floor. :redface:

toytech
11-09-2010, 04:31 AM
i get my insurance through McFarlin insurance , the policy is through dominion of canada think

kien
11-09-2010, 05:19 AM
Phew! That was a close call. I'd prob soil my pants if I got that call..

naesco
11-09-2010, 01:12 PM

Get it in writing.

daniella3d
11-09-2010, 03:16 PM
Well...I lived in California for many years and one day I received a phone call from Liveline Canada saying that someone I love (living in Canada) had activated the unfamous emergency button and nobody could reach that person. I can tell you I was feeling very bad, not knowing what had hapened I thought the worse.

Ended up being a false alarm! piew..that was scary. If it's only material good, I am not so in panic :) I would be upset but that's about it.

I am thinking of buying insurance though because I have about 2000$ in coral or more! that goes quickly.

mike31154
11-09-2010, 03:27 PM
when i had my house fire a couple of years ago.
all of my fish and corals were covered and replaced at replacement cost.
wawanesa is my insurance company.
Neal

I've been putting off looking into the insurance scenario since starting my SW tank. You may have just saved me the trouble since I'm with Wawa as well. Although, it's probably best for me to double check, since policies can change and often come with special provisions or riders as they're called. You'd think I would have done this by now..... almost 4 years into the hobby.