PDA

View Full Version : adjusting Ca and Alk

bignose
11-08-2010, 03:45 AM
Kind of a newb question but what the heck. Can I adjust Ca and Alk at the same time?

Lance
11-08-2010, 05:53 AM
You can but it makes better sense to dose at different times. I dose alk at night after lights out to help keep pH up and Ca during the day. Ca and alk when mixed together form a solid so it's wise to dose them separately.

fishytime
11-08-2010, 07:21 AM
yup....dosing both at the same time will cause a snow storm in your tank......like Lance said best to dose at different times of the day......or better yet with a dosing pump:wink::twised:

Myka
11-08-2010, 02:41 PM
If you have to dose them at the same time, dose calcium first and wait 30 minutes before dosing alkalinity. Make sure it is well diluted in the tank before it hits the corals, as the slurry will instantly burn the corals.

Lance
11-08-2010, 03:55 PM
yup....dosing both at the same time will cause a snow storm in your tank......like Lance said best to dose at different times of the day......or better yet with a dosing pump:wink::twised:

Dosing pumps really are the best way to go. I used to dose manually and hated it. I use a 5 liter Bubble Magus container for each. Fill them up and I'm good for 3 weeks.

chris88
11-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Hounestly i does alk and then 2 minutes later i dose the calcium. If you do it in a high flow area they will dissolve alomst instantly.

paddyob
11-09-2010, 12:05 AM
You risk precipitation by dosing together. Jason if you are using builder and advantage... which I thought you were... the instructions I believe indicate dosing should not be done together.

Alterante days.... just test and be diligent with dosing.

You could also try better salt. Since I started using H2Ocean my clacium never drops. Kh is all I dose now.

Ditch the Instant Ocean!!!!!

bignose
11-09-2010, 12:51 AM
I'm seriously starting to consider different salt. But first I should finally learn to dose my tank on a regular basis. I've been depending on my salt too much. I've found that Ca and Alk levels in my tank are dropping way faster than I thought. I didn't realize that little frags could suck up so much.

paddyob
11-09-2010, 01:04 AM
I'm seriously starting to consider different salt. But first I should finally learn to dose my tank on a regular basis. I've been depending on my salt too much. I've found that Ca and Alk levels in my tank are dropping way faster than I thought. I didn't realize that little frags could suck up so much.

Your rock also absorbs elements. Coraline algae my friend.

chris88
11-09-2010, 02:31 AM
Hounestly just dose one and wait 5 or 10 minutes and dose the other, if you get parcipitation i will be beyond shocked. Make sure its in a high flow. I have to dose daily because my sps grow like weeds and i have never had a problem with it. CAL 440ppm alk 7.5 dkh

Myka
11-09-2010, 11:18 AM
You could also try better salt. Since I started using H2Ocean my clacium never drops. Kh is all I dose now.

Ditch the Instant Ocean!!!!!

I switched from IO to H2Ocean, and I still have to dose just the same. The only difference is that with IO I would add calcium, magnesium, and potassium to the fresh saltwater to get the parameters right before doing a water change; with H2Ocean I still have to add magnesium and potassium....so why am I paying $20 more for a pail that mixes up 40 gallons less? I don't know! The H2Ocean mixes up easier and cleaner, but honestly I notice no difference in my reef or dosing schedule.

daniella3d
11-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Exact same experience here switching from IO to H2O so I returned to IO, but with Reef Crystal. Still 25$ less than H2O.

I switched from IO to H2Ocean, and I still have to dose just the same. The only difference is that with IO I would add calcium, magnesium, and potassium to the fresh saltwater to get the parameters right before doing a water change; with H2Ocean I still have to add magnesium and potassium....so why am I paying $20 more for a pail that mixes up 40 gallons less? I don't know! The H2Ocean mixes up easier and cleaner, but honestly I notice no difference in my reef or dosing schedule.