PDA

View Full Version : Ca Reactor - Flow Control Valve

Scales
12-08-2003, 05:06 PM
Any comments about the substitution of a flow control valve for the standard CO2 needle valve and bubble counter? I am building a Ca reactor and have heard this may be the better way to go. Any advice is appreciated.

Trevor.

Aquattro
12-08-2003, 05:10 PM
Trevor, from what I've read about it (not much), the flow control valves are very expensive for something measuring such low flow.

Scales
12-08-2003, 05:25 PM
I read an article by Sanjay Joshi that stated the flow control valve was cheaper than the needle valve and bubble counter combined. I will check out local prices later today (all this paper work on my desk gets in the way of my fun) once I figure out where to source these things ...where do you DIY guys buy your needle valves from?

Thanks.

Aquattro
12-08-2003, 05:40 PM
Scales, your profile doesn't say where you're located, but if you're in the lower mainland, J&L caries them. You can also get a canreef valve from Titus by clicking the online store link to your right!

Scales
12-08-2003, 06:14 PM
I should update my profile. I am in Langley. Thanks for your help.

Scales
12-08-2003, 08:53 PM
I have found the recommended Dwyer Flow Control Valve for $77.50 in Vancouver. This is controlled by the included needle valve and would replace the standard needle valve/bubble counter set-up. The availabe flow is between 5-50 CC/minute (there are higher amounts available, but Mr. Joshi recommends this one and is using 20 CC/minute).

What do you DIY types think?...The cost of a needle valve by itself is $27.00 and I am unsure what it will cost to make a bubble counter...tough to analyze/compare not having made anything like this before...any other comments?

Cheers.

Aquattro
12-08-2003, 10:45 PM
Bubble counters are cheap to make. Also, when you ask anyone on line for advice, they'll want to know the bubbles per minute rate, not cc's. You'll be on your own for advice that way. I've also read that people that did use them weren't happy with them. Do a search on RC for flow valves.

Jack
12-09-2003, 01:46 AM
I'd go with a needle valve and bubble counter if you want to save money.

BCOrchidGuy
12-10-2003, 06:44 PM
I found a needle valve for $22 in Burnaby, works just fine and I built a bubble counter, total cost (including 6 feet of 2 inch clear acrylic) less than $40.

Doug

Scales
12-10-2003, 07:34 PM
Where did you buy the valve and acrylic from? I am also looking for larger diameter clear acrylic...

Do you think you have a need for six feet of two inch acrylic...if not, would you sell me a foot? It sounds inexpensive, but surplus stuff like that ends up in my garage, and into the hands of my kids, on into the landfill after they smash it all up :lol:...

Thanks.

Trevor

BCOrchidGuy
12-10-2003, 09:48 PM
Scales bear with me and I'll try to find out where I got the acrylic and the needle valve. The needle valve came from a place just off 1st ave in Burnaby, almost at Gilmore. The acrylic tube came from a place over by the coke dist center under the port mann bridge. Sorry I can't remember names.

I don't have any acrylic left, I made a bunch of bubble counters and other stuff. I think the length was $10 maybe less, the 4" stuff was $60 for 6 feet. Larger stuff is harder to get, this place told me that you can only get larger diameter acrylic in cast which makes the price increase about 4 or 5 fold (IE 6feet for $300).

Scales
12-10-2003, 10:00 PM
Thanks for your help.

If you remember the names, particularly the acrylic place, let me know.

Cheers.

Trevor

BCOrchidGuy
12-13-2003, 05:54 AM
Sorry I took so long, here you go.
Acrylic tubing was from GE Polymer shapes (604) 468-2112
Needle valve was from Peerless engineering (604) 659 4100 PN KLN230B

StirCrazy
12-13-2003, 02:36 PM
I am using a flow regulator instead of a Pressure regulator on mine. I still use a bubble counter though.

Steve