PDA

View Full Version : New BTA

Bob I
12-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Here's a picture of my newly acquired BTA. I think I will call it Buttuglytwo. It has the most misshapen collection of tentacles I have seen. The pink tips on the tentacles look nice though. :biggrin:

http://members.shaw.ca/rcipema/buttuglytwo.jpg

kuatto
12-08-2003, 05:04 PM
Even the ugly ones need someone to love them :biggrin:
I was thinking about getting an aneminy..anemane,the thing you got for my corner tank with the false percs but i don't know which to get?

Jim

Son Of Skyline
12-08-2003, 05:11 PM
It doesn't look that ugly to me :biggrin:

Nice find!

kuatto
12-08-2003, 05:15 PM
was just razzing ya,actually it looks like a nice purple color,just the way it is sitting

EmilyB
12-08-2003, 08:33 PM
Good Lord.. :eek: Is that one of those hundred year old ones.. :question:

Son Of Skyline
12-08-2003, 08:40 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good Lord.. :eek: Is that one of those hundred year old ones.. :question:

andestang
12-10-2003, 02:38 AM
Deb, Deb :lol:

christyf5
12-10-2003, 02:42 AM
I was just thinkin it looked like the droopy pantyhose on an old lady :razz:

props
12-10-2003, 07:06 AM
i think its kinda cute

IslandReefer
12-10-2003, 11:00 AM
Awesome BTA. Nice rose purple, should be tres cool when it inflates. Is it a clone from a captive BTA? ( that fission divides) or from the wild?. If it is a clone, and it thrives (fingers crossed) it should give you clones Also Check out Ron Toonen's papers (famous invert. guru from Edmonton...works @ U of Hawii...tough.job.....).(search reef.org...I think, or was it wetwebmedia??).
And for Kuatto: Many sources say that BTA's are one if not the best captive anenomes, for survival, reproduction,various lights,feeds etc.....
and for the drum roll...are great for false percula clowns (Amphiprion ocellarus).
....Soooo if that beauty ever clones (tips include feeding for several weeks followed by a large water change...supposed to stimulate fission.)
I'm sure you would find tons of willing foster parents, myself included..(nudge ..nudge wink wink)
How about some photos when she fills out?...she sure isss purdy.
John

Bob I
12-10-2003, 04:27 PM
It is a captive clone which has spent the last few months in a plastic cage in Delphinus' tank. :eek:
To try and make a long story short. I purchased a captive bred Tomato Clown with a Bulldoglike face a while ago. In my 50 it spent the night between some cleaning magnets and the opposite wall of the tank. So last night after lights out I snuck up with a net, and pulled the outside magnet off, and caught the magnet and the fish at the same time. I tossed him into the 15, and this morning when I got up he had taken up with the anemone already. I thought a captive bred clown might take a ling tome to host with an anemone, but instinct took over.

http://members.shaw.ca/rcipema/uglyclown.jpg

Bob I
12-10-2003, 04:29 PM
It is a captive clone which has spent the last few months in a plastic cage in Delphinus' tank. :eek:
To try and make a long story short. I purchased a captive bred Tomato Clown with a Bulldoglike face a while ago. In my 50 it spent the night between some cleaning magnets and the opposite wall of the tank. So last night after lights out I snuck up with a net, and pulled the outside magnet off, and caught the magnet and the fish at the same time. I tossed him into the 15, and this morning when I got up he had taken up with the anemone already. I thought a captive bred clown might take a long time to host with an anemone, but instinct took over.

http://members.shaw.ca/rcipema/uglyclown.jpg

Delphinus
12-10-2003, 05:03 PM
Before you guys think I'm cruel or something, I kept the BTA in a hanging refugium (that sounds nicer than plastic cage) because a few months ago it was involved in a powerhead accident (powerhead fell off the glass, suction cups must have been dirty) ... which accounts for some of the misshapen tentacles. I've kept it up there so I could assess the damage and nurse it back to health if need be. Other than a few wonky tentacles this guy is in good shape now. The tentacles should regrow in time.

I've had these BTAs going on 5 years now I think. No wait, is it really almost 2004??? Going on 6 years I think. :eek: My original was a captive split that a guy had had himself for easily 5 or more years. Very old BTAs!

Each BTA of this strain seems to split at least once, sometimes twice, per year. There are a couple others floating around, Buk_A_Neer has one, a clonal sibling of the one pictured, and a picture of that one can be seen in this thread: "Bubbletip is happy :)" (http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5889&)

I've always noticed hints of pinks and greens in them and it really seems to depend on what lighting hits them. This one that Bob now has, for some reason in the last 4-5 weeks has really taken on a nice pink hue to it. Hopefully it keeps that :cool: Time will tell.

StirCrazy
12-13-2003, 11:00 PM
ok Bob, how does it look now?

Steve

Bob I
12-14-2003, 12:17 AM
Here it is Steve. a couple of days later under MH. The light is a rebuilt Coralife pendant with an older A.B 10000K bulb.

http://members.shaw.ca/rcipema/btamh.jpg

StirCrazy
12-14-2003, 01:22 AM
looks a lot better!

Steve