PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a dead vortech MP40/MP20? Or Live MP20 for sale? - Found one!!!! :)

christyf5
11-06-2010, 11:56 PM
FML. Just tried to replace the bearings on mine and broke the magnet on the impeller shaft (man is it ever soft!). Just thought I'd see if anyone had a dead one for parts before I have to buy a new dry side (which won't be happening anytime soon).

Alternatively, I think I can get a MP20 as I have all the "upgrade" parts for it if anyone has a MP20 for sale.

marie
11-07-2010, 01:31 AM
FML. Just tried to replace the bearings on mine and broke the magnet on the impeller shaft (man is it ever soft!). Just thought I'd see if anyone had a dead one for parts before I have to buy a new dry side (which won't be happening anytime soon).

Alternatively, I think I can get a MP20 as I have all the "upgrade" parts for it if anyone has a MP20 for sale.

I don't understand...you broke the magnet on the dry side? how did you manage that? the impeller is on the wet side. According to JL a new magnet for the wetside is $23

christyf5
11-07-2010, 01:34 AM
the dry side was very chattery and we determined that it was two bearings that had probably worn out (in hindsight it was only one and it was already off the main "impeller". So I took the dry side apart according to this thread (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1901337). Technically it is the dry side impeller that drives the wet side impeller. Both have magnets on them but the dry side one isn't replaceable as it is proprietary and you have to buy a whole new dry side to get it.

marie
11-07-2010, 01:53 AM
Your a braver person then me, I would of just sent it off to ecotech and let them fix it lol

christyf5
11-07-2010, 01:55 AM
well in hindsight yes, that would have been a smarter idea :razz:

BlueWorldAquatic
11-07-2010, 02:03 AM
What exact parts do you need? most Canadian dealrs can get the specific part.

Ken

christyf5
11-07-2010, 02:10 AM
The one in the middle.

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad227/james1307oak/Vortech%20pump/IMG_20100901_170540.jpg

Its inside the dry side that you're not supposed to take apart unless you want to void your warranty (which I didn't have anyways). If you can get it for me without me having to buy a new dry side you will be my hero forever :razz: The original poster of the dry side "fix" said that ecotech doesn't sell them and I couldn't find them at the ecotech store.

PoonTang
11-07-2010, 06:03 PM
can you just Krazy glue or epoxy the magnet back together?

christyf5
11-07-2010, 06:05 PM
can you just Krazy glue or epoxy the magnet back together?

ya tried that, it doesn't fit now, plus the magnet is so soft its broken into several pieces. basically is a friggin mess. I tried looking online for replacement magnet "sleeves" but to no avail.

PoonTang
11-07-2010, 06:08 PM
Bummer. I am sure 1 will show up or you could sell off what you have left. Replace it with a MP60 :)

christyf5
11-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Bummer. I am sure 1 will show up or you could sell off what you have left. Replace it with a MP60 :)

LOL my fish would all be plastered to the glass. I think an MP60 would be overkill at this point and my wallet couldn't take it. I've got a tunze 6025 I can put in that spot until I can find some funds to replace the dry side if needed. I'll be damned if I'm using yet another birthday/christmas for some broken thing on my tank. Its like it knows... :twised:

dave_C
11-08-2010, 03:16 PM
i have a dead dry side laying around not sure what was wrong with it other than the main magnet cracked in half, but i am sure the motor is still good so if you want it i can send the unit to you

christyf5
11-08-2010, 04:01 PM
i have a dead dry side laying around not sure what was wrong with it other than the main magnet cracked in half, but i am sure the motor is still good so if you want it i can send the unit to you

OMG that would be awesome!!! I'll PM you :biggrin:

DiverDude
11-08-2010, 08:02 PM
The pathetic part is that these pumps are disgustingly overpriced. However, if you're going to take it up the a** and buy one, I'd expect that they'd put premium quality parts in it.

Perhaps Vortech is just another company engineering it's product to last just far enough past the warranty period for you to be willing to buy another (or pay for expensive repairs).

These pumps should last a lot longer than a year or 2 !

christyf5
11-08-2010, 08:09 PM
The pathetic part is that these pumps are disgustingly overpriced. However, if you're going to take it up the a** and buy one, I'd expect that they'd put premium quality parts in it.

Perhaps Vortech is just another company engineering it's product to last just far enough past the warranty period for you to be willing to buy another (or pay for expensive repairs).

These pumps should last a lot longer than a year or 2 !

I totally agree however, two points:

1. I don't even know how old it is, I bought it third-hand (or possibly more) and its a first generation model which I think needed some help from the beginning

2. I did open up the dry side (which is a no-no if its under warranty anyways) and fart around with it which probably wasn't the smartest idea. But for the money I had invested in the pump already (not much) I really cringed at what ecotech might have charged me to fix it as personally I don't believe they're worth the $450 or whatever they go for these days even though people rave about them. Its a powerhead ffs. The only thing I like about it is no cord in the tank other than that its just another (not very versatile, it only points straight ahead) powerhead to me as I don't use any of the pulse action/tidepool/lagoon/volcanothrust or whatever other settings on it.

christyf5
11-13-2010, 03:30 AM
Thanks to conceptaquariums my vortech is up and running again yay!!! :mrgreen:

I promise to never take it apart again, that was just plain dumb :rolleyes:

Lance
11-13-2010, 03:41 AM
:thumb:

lastlight
11-13-2010, 03:46 AM
I'll be damned if I'm using yet another birthday/christmas for some broken thing on my tank. Its like it knows... :twised:

That's too funny I know what you mean. A great deal of the 225 I built was done with xmas and bday credits. Not that I minded at the time tho!

Glad to hear your vortech issues are resolved. I think there have been huge improvements made between gen 1 and 2 and now with the mp60 but we'll have to wait and see.

christyf5
11-13-2010, 03:48 AM
That's too funny I know what you mean. A great deal of the 225 I built was done with xmas and bday credits. Not that I minded at the time tho!

Glad to hear your vortech issues are resolved. I think there have been huge improvements made between gen 1 and 2 and now with the mp60 but we'll have to wait and see.

For the most part I didn't mind either, until I started looking at the timing of it all. And its never to buy anything new, just to replace things that have broken, conveniently right before my bday or christmas :twised:

muck
11-13-2010, 04:44 AM
You sure got the parts fast!?!?
Thats rad that you got it fixed now.

PoonTang
11-13-2010, 08:20 AM
That's great Christy! Now you have some spare parts laying around too. Hope it's quiet now so you can crank that baby up! Hope the skimmer worked out well too.

christyf5
11-13-2010, 09:07 AM
That's great Christy! Now you have some spare parts laying around too. Hope it's quiet now so you can crank that baby up! Hope the skimmer worked out well too.

Sadly the skimmer leaked like a sieve so two more applications of weldon were required. it should be back online tomorrow :)