PDA

View Full Version : Six Line VS Fairy Wrasse

paddyob
11-06-2010, 04:59 PM
So I picked up a fairy wrasse from Blue World yesterday... as all signs and LFS said "should be ok"... but obviously no guarantees.

For the first hour or so the wrasse was acclimated floating in the bag. My six line did not even approach the bag to have a look.

After dropping the Fairy Wrasse in.... he swam in the open for an hour or so and the siix line just swam around it... without making a single attack. Then later last night he started chasing the fairy wrasse around. The Fairy wrasse is about the same size.... but red. No resemblance in color.

NOW... the fairy went into my extensive "cavern" system I built into the rock work.... and the six line is looking for him (he keeps circling the area).

The fairy is a "tad" more pricey.... and now I wonder what the hell to do. We all know removing the rock work for a fish is a nightmare.

I put in a mantis trap I have.... and put some mysis inside. The Six line is curious and keeps looking in... but won't enter. He is a clever bugger.

Anyone have any suggestions??????

PUHLEEEEAAAASE!!!!

Chin_Lee
11-06-2010, 06:46 PM
my six line was relentless against my leopard. itchased it until it tried playing dead and even then, the sixline skill went in and peeled scales off the leopard. I was finally able to catch the leopard after it was on the verge of death and put into isolation to recuperate. Then it took me about 3 weeks for my sixline to get into fish trap before I gave it away. Six lines do not mix with other wrasses unless its 3-4x bigger than its size.

paddyob
11-07-2010, 12:01 AM
Ugh.

So I ripped apart my tank to remove either the six line or the fairy wrasse.

I ended up catching the six line so he found a new place in my sump refugium for now. Well fuge in training.... no lights yet.... just some rock. I am pretty sure he will be fine.

NOW the question is.... do I try trade him for a small six line (as I love him) or say good bye to him forever as I cannot pt him back in with the fairy wrasse.

I also am stressed out that I cannot find two of my fish since rearranging the rocks.... I am really hoping they are hiding and not crushed under rocks.

Man what a shitty day in the reef.

paddyob
11-07-2010, 04:48 PM
My six line has bee removed.

Anyone have thoughts on adding a smaller one? I kept the fairy wrasse as much nicer fish and wonder if a smaller six line would mesh.

Does anyone have a six line in their tanks with other peaceful wrasses?

Keep in mind my tank is 70 gallon so as "big" as it is... its not a giant.

Milad
11-07-2010, 05:40 PM
i have a six line, cleaner and a yellow coris wrasse and they get along just fine. the six line was the first to go in. coris is twice his size and cleaner is little longer than him.

mind you i bought two six lines when i started but i have never seen the second one. i think it died.

im surprised you caught that six line so easily. when i was getting this six line, the LFS had a very hard time catching him with just one rock in the tank. i doubt i would ever be able to catch this guy.

paddyob
11-07-2010, 05:46 PM
i have a six line, cleaner and a yellow coris wrasse and they get along just fine. the six line was the first to go in. coris is twice his size and cleaner is little longer than him.

mind you i bought two six lines when i started but i have never seen the second one. i think it died.

im surprised you caught that six line so easily. when i was getting this six line, the LFS had a very hard time catching him with just one rock in the tank. i doubt i would ever be able to catch this guy.

It was not easy at all. I removed approximately 50 pounds of aquascaped rock. Had two nets in my hands and my wife held a third to block alternate escape routes and it still took 40 minutes.

Easy. It was a stressful crappy experience ha ha!

At least today the Whipfin Fairy Wrasse looks good. He is still hiding but where he is at ( a cave ) you can see him swimming around. Good sign if you ask me. He should be fine after settling in.

Although.... my Tailspot Blenny has yet to be seen. This I am worried about... I have a bad feeling he met his end under a rock. ****** Six line!

Milad
11-07-2010, 05:53 PM
six lines are the devil!
i rarely see mine, hes always going in and out of rocks. im not even sure what hes eating because he doesnt come out for pellets or mysis. but hes getting fat, and big, hes looking like a kinder surprise.

Madreefer
11-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Kind of funny how this same story shows up every couple of months but yet people always post about how well behaved their sx lines are. I've gone through it and so have a few of my friends. Sixlines are little bastards. If you like peaceful and active wrasses try a potters or a leopard wrasse. Seem to have the same characteristics as a sixline but minus the bad attitude.

kien
11-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Anyone have thoughts on adding a smaller one? I kept the fairy wrasse as much nicer fish and wonder if a smaller six line would mesh.

I think you answered your own query right here..

It was not easy at all. I removed approximately 50 pounds of aquascaped rock. Had two nets in my hands and my wife held a third to block alternate escape routes and it still took 40 minutes.

Easy. It was a stressful crappy experience ha ha! ...

Although.... my Tailspot Blenny has yet to be seen. This I am worried about... I have a bad feeling he met his end under a rock. ****** Six line!

:biggrin:

If you add a small six line he may be kept at bay for a while. However, as time passes he may develop the same attitude with his established territory. Then, when you go to add a new fish you'll be back here again.

bignose
11-08-2010, 02:30 AM
I'm glad to hear you got your six line out. I also have to do something about my six line .

sweet ride
11-09-2010, 01:20 AM
I have a six line wrasse and green corris wrasse, i have to agree with most of the people about the attitude of the six line wrasse, but at the end of the day my two clown fish keeps him at bay....

Aquaria
11-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Idk I LOVED my sixline he was always putting on a show for me n my girl swiming up n down and around with his spikes out and he got along great with two clowns and a neon dottyback
But I shut my tank down to move to bc so +1 on them being hard to catch anyway I would get a sixline again I loved the spikey attitude and he was super friendly with my other fish mind you he
Was the last one in!

daniella3d
11-09-2010, 07:05 PM
Six line are well known to be aggressive with other wrasses, so once you put a 6 lines you can't put any other wrasse usualy.

That's why I stayed away from the 6 lines. If you want more wrasse, try the peacefull specie instead.

I bought a checkerboard and had a yellow in the tank. The checkerboard is supposed to be peacefull but was attacking the yellow. So I sold the yellow and once the yellow wrasse was gone he started to attack my little pajama cardinal!!! so you never knwo with fishes!

I got a yellow tang and he killed my male mandarin!!! nasty tang. who would attack a mandarin??!! Now I am left with the little female and had to sell the yellow tang for an aggressive tank.

Nothing is ever granted with fish.

Ugh.

So I ripped apart my tank to remove either the six line or the fairy wrasse.

I ended up catching the six line so he found a new place in my sump refugium for now. Well fuge in training.... no lights yet.... just some rock. I am pretty sure he will be fine.

NOW the question is.... do I try trade him for a small six line (as I love him) or say good bye to him forever as I cannot pt him back in with the fairy wrasse.

I also am stressed out that I cannot find two of my fish since rearranging the rocks.... I am really hoping they are hiding and not crushed under rocks.

Man what a shitty day in the reef.