PDA

View Full Version : So utterly choked... Really hope my bicolor will make it. Looking for any suggestions

jzz30tt
11-06-2010, 01:34 AM
Came home today to find the tank strangely sedate. Everyone was a little slow and not terribly interested in food.

For Background this is the stocking. Blue/Yellow damsel, Bangai Cardinal, False Perc, Bicolor angel, Peppermint shrimp, Green emerald crab and a hermit. Oh and one big snail i haven't ID'd yet.

A couple hours later i looked at the tank and my bicolor angel was laying on the sand and gasping. As soon as i got close he was up and moving around again but needless to say i'm very worried.

My wife mentioned that the powerhead had made some noise earlier so i check on it and sure enough it's not running. No idea how long it's been like that. The tank is sumpless so i'm worried about the amount of aeration the water has had. Took it out to clean it. After cleaning things out i submerged it in a bucket and held it while plugging it in. ZAP. I got a good one in the right hand. Round filed that lovely piece of junk.

I replaced it with a koralia to get the water surface moving again and have been watching it since. At first the Bangai was a little less than stellar looking not flaring his fins as much as normal. After a 20% water change and An hour of the koralia the Clown, Damsel and Banger are looking much better. Flaring fins and nice and active, no gasping but the angel is still taking turns swimming around then finding quiet places to lay down. Still gasping.

Not sure what to think right now but really really don't want to lose this guy. So hard to watch and not sure what else to do. :cry:

jzz30tt
11-06-2010, 02:01 AM
He's been up and swimming a couple times and when he does he heads to the surface and skips up breaking the surface a bunch of times then heads back down...

Gasping harder from what i can tell. Hard to watch him getting worse...

What a sickening way to end the week...

jzz30tt
11-06-2010, 03:08 AM
Hasn't been off the sand for a while now. Another partial WC just in case. Everyone else is doing great now... but not the Bicolor Angel...

Will be sad to see him go...

Seafan
11-06-2010, 03:27 AM
:sad: Very sorry to hear your losing your fish, bicolor's are beautiful fish. Tank is sumpless, but do you have a hang on protein skimmer running, if not you may want to try adding an airstone, especially if your tank make up water isn't at least 24 hours aerated.

jzz30tt
11-06-2010, 03:41 AM
I agree on the beautiful part indeed.

I have been running an airstone as well for the last 2 hours or so. No change unfortunately...

The frustrating part is i can't find anything wrong other than the stray voltage that was there earlier from that powerhead.

No Nitrite, Nitrate is 5 ppm and no ammonia.

Everyone else in the tank is happy other than a more docile than normal peppermint shrimp.

jzz30tt
11-06-2010, 04:23 AM
RIP little buddy...

jzz30tt
11-06-2010, 04:42 AM
Thats it. Did everything i could think of for the little guy. Absolutely gorgeous scales and coloring. Hilarious to see how much algae he slurped.

Not sure what to think. I guess everyone loses fish but it still sucks every time. I have a lot of freshwater and haven't had a loss there for a long time but this is my only marine tank right now so it sucks all the more to lose a fish from it.

Not the best way to end a week and it's my birthday in 2 days. Lol. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!! :sad:

Seafan
11-06-2010, 04:51 AM
Sorry, It really sucks to lose a fish. It does sound like you did all you could do for your tank. Pat yourself on the back though for what you did do, could have been a much bigger loss, sounds like you reacted quickly and saved the rest. Not that you feel like celebrating at all, but happy early birthday wishes.

searescue
11-10-2010, 01:44 AM
Stray voltage can effect the fish by playing havic with the lateral line , thats how fish pick up danger,
old equipment has a history of voltage leaching, that why i always run a grounding plug that takes care of any stary voltage, can be found at any reef shop,
cheers