PDA

View Full Version : Painting back of tank

Aquattro
11-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Just some advice that might help others. Don't do this in your kitchen.....

muck
11-04-2010, 08:47 PM
ok... spill it.
What did you ruin... :razz:

dunl
11-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Spray paint, by any chance?

Been there, done that a few years back. :(

Aquattro
11-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Spray paint, by any chance?

. :(

oh ya....

dunl
11-04-2010, 09:37 PM
oh ya....

Wipe everything down with a thinner.......might take the overspray and air floated particles off.

Aquattro
11-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Wipe everything down with a thinner.......might take the overspray and air floated particles off.

Ya, spent my lunch doing that :(

Lance
11-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Ya, spent my lunch doing that :(

Mmmmmm! Eau de Paint Thinner! That'll go well with the pot roast in the oven. :biggrin:

Chin_Lee
11-04-2010, 10:22 PM
i used acrylic paint with roll-on and it didn't work very well - too soft and easly scratched and peeled.
The best results I've ever had was rustoleum spray paint but that involved taking your tank outside. I have never tried painting on rustoleum but I imagine it would work just as well as the spray. Just don't use acrylic is my recommendation.

Aquattro
11-04-2010, 11:17 PM
The rustoleum went on really well, I hope I don't need a second coat, I'm already on the s*** list at home :)

dunl
11-05-2010, 12:31 AM
I have a tank that was sprayed four or so years ago....no issues yet. :)

globaldesigns
11-05-2010, 12:38 AM
eeewwwwww, I hope your kitchen doesn't have white cabinets

Aquattro
11-05-2010, 02:46 AM
eeewwwwww, I hope your kitchen doesn't have white cabinets

Not anymore!! :) Actually, not too bad, a quick wipe over everything cleaned it up, but the house will stink for a while. And, I need a second coat :(

FishyFishy!
11-05-2010, 03:18 AM
Krylon Fusion all the way. Have done every tank of mine with it so far. Awesome stuff to spray on just about anything with very little prep.

lastlight
11-05-2010, 03:47 AM
Not anymore!! :) Actually, not too bad, a quick wipe over everything cleaned it up, but the house will stink for a while. And, I need a second coat :(

And since your cleanup worked the first time you're going to do it again in there aren't you? We reefers have all been exposed to too much primer, glue and skimmate fumes to do things like we should! I sprayed the back of my old frontosa tank in a closed room in my apartment. Wasn't until things started going fuzzy that I thought I had better get the hell out of the room.

Aquattro
11-05-2010, 04:00 AM
Yup, I don't have a choice, since I can't move the tank. It's in the kitchen until it goes on the stand, which is hopefully this weekend. I'm going to build a spray booth for coat 2 tho....

hillegom
11-05-2010, 04:31 AM
fans on, and open windows. Or you can use a respirator. With charcoal! Not just a particle mask. Keeps brain cells alive.

Aquattro
11-05-2010, 04:54 AM
fans on, and open windows. Or you can use a respirator. With charcoal! Not just a particle mask. Keeps brain cells alive.

The issue is more the overspray, the actual exposure to fumes is a minute or two while I spray the glass. I'm going to buy some poly and make a little tent to spray in for the next coat, which should keep the rest of the house not black :)

Binare
11-05-2010, 05:14 AM
I never spray paint my tanks. Its much easier, harder to scratch and even cheaper to get black sticky vinyl from a sign maker and take your time smoothing it over with a credit card. No masking, fumes, cleanup or overspray to deal with.

Aquattro
11-05-2010, 05:16 AM
I never spray paint my tanks. Its much easier, harder to scratch and even cheaper to get black sticky vinyl from a sign maker and take your time smoothing it over with a credit card. No masking, fumes, cleanup or overspray to deal with.

Sure, and where were you yesterday?? -lol Next tank, I might just look at that :)

Ross
11-05-2010, 02:26 PM

I used smoked window tint from walmart.
There is a seam, but you bairly notice it.
It's held up for a year without any issues.
Just watch those koralia magnets, they like to move the film around till its dry.

don.ald
11-05-2010, 02:30 PM
The issue is more the overspray, the actual exposure to fumes is a minute or two while I spray the glass. I'm going to buy some poly and make a little tent to spray in for the next coat, which should keep the rest of the house not black :)

black is "stylin" right now. your there with the in crowd:biggrin:

sphelps
11-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Why would you spray? I've always just used foam rollers and standard black acrylic paint. A couple coats and you're done without the mess and fumes. Holds up fine and works every time.

I don't feel bad for you, spray paint in your house is a bad idea. Why on earth would you even consider it? :surprise:

Aquattro
11-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Why would you spray?

Well, I've sprayed, rolled and brushed tanks, and spraying is the easiest for me. Perhaps my brushing/rolling skills are lacking, dunno. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for sympathy, just a funny "don't try this at home" warning for people that might think spraying inside is a good idea :)

sphelps
11-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Well, I've sprayed, rolled and brushed tanks, and spraying is the easiest for me. Perhaps my brushing/rolling skills are lacking, dunno. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for sympathy, just a funny "don't try this at home" warning for people that might think spraying inside is a good idea :)
Is it still the easiest considering you had to rub the whole kitchen down with thinner and now have to setup a paint booth? :lol:

Aquattro
11-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Is it still the easiest considering you had to rub the whole kitchen down with thinner and now have to setup a paint booth? :lol:

Well, ya, ok, you got me there! But conceptually it was easier. Thinking back, the last (easy) time was outdoors :)

Aquattro
11-05-2010, 06:57 PM
but but but!!! It does look good :) And my kitchen is really clean now.

lastlight
11-05-2010, 07:01 PM
I also just use black acrylic paint and a brush not even a roller. 3 or 4 coats and it's done but my tunze magnets do damage it if I'm not careful. Then i just jam some fresh paint in the tears =)

Spraying inside is not smart now is using glue and primer on the carpet plus 50 other stupid things I've done in the name of this hobby. It's ok Brad I understand (too much).

sphelps
11-05-2010, 07:17 PM
now is using glue and primer on the carpet
Haha, been there! But it wasn't my carpet, oops!

StirCrazy
11-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Well, ya, ok, you got me there! But conceptually it was easier. Thinking back, the last (easy) time was outdoors :)

just think. and last time you wanted to do it inside also.. why did I say that was a bad idea? :mrgreen:

Steve

sphelps
11-06-2010, 05:53 PM
just think. and last time you wanted to do it inside also.. why did I say that was a bad idea? :mrgreen:

Steve
Hmmmm.... The plot thickens :razz:

Aquattro
11-06-2010, 08:05 PM

Steve

I dont know, I never listen to you :) Although, I just finished coat number 2...with a brush

StirCrazy
11-07-2010, 03:52 PM
I dont know, I never listen to you :) Although, I just finished coat number 2...with a brush

how come there is never any pictures?

Steve