PDA

View Full Version : locking system

dunl
11-04-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm trying to get my admin team to allow me to keep some of the more unique water creatures in my classroom. One of the bones of contention would be anything that bites or is venomous.

Does anyone have a simple locking system that I could put into place to alleviate their fears?

Thanks.

mark
11-04-2010, 04:54 PM
not sure of what class level but I'm thinking if it's elementary (or even high school) why bring in something venomous. Lot's of unique stuff out there that doesn't bite.

BlueWorldAquatic
11-04-2010, 05:03 PM
I know Hagen maks screen covers for Tanks fairly inexpensive with thumb screw knobs which can be repaced with allen screws etc...

Or Exo Terra Terrariums, litle bit more expensive, but have a lock that can be placed on the,. All Box store pet shops carry them, or any of us with Hagen accounts can get them.

Ken - BWA

dunl
11-04-2010, 05:08 PM
I'm thinking of something saltwater, so looking at an aquarium. And I have the tank, just trying to think of a good way to lock it down.

not sure of what class level but I'm thinking if it's elementary (or even high school) why bring in something venomous. Lot's of unique stuff out there that doesn't bite.

I'm looking for ideas, not a discussion of why you think I should choose something different. :D

sobe
02-24-2011, 05:47 AM
make a wooded hood cover with a flip up lid, you can install a pad lock latch for a padlock, then drill out the screw a little bit so you round out the screws, no one will be able to remove the latch with a screw driver anymore.

you can then use two part epoxy to glue the lid either to the glass or the glass trim.

drill some holes at the back for ventilation.

Ian
02-24-2011, 12:38 PM
I put simple acrylic covers on my tanks in my classroom . They are not locked down but it would be a very easy fix to epoxt yhe frame to the tank and add a lock.
On that note I have never had an issue with hands in the aqaurium in either my mantis tank or with my foxface. The kids love the tanks though.