PDA

View Full Version : Trying to pick the right return pump

xblade
11-03-2010, 11:37 PM
OK...I'm looking for the right reurn pump......75 gal FOWLR tank and a 30 gal sump.
How much flow do you guys think i should go for? I was thinking 700 to 800 GPH,but was told that might be too much with a 30 gal sump.

Herbie style overflow,with 2 x 1 1/2 inch bulkheads
Probably going with 1 of these http://www.aquacave.com/eshopps-psk-150-in-sump-brprotein-skimmer-100-150-gal-brtank-2859.html

Any thoughts? Any help would be welcomed. :)

Thnx in advance

Doug

BlueTang<3
11-03-2010, 11:57 PM
Doug you provided a link for a skimmer.

xblade
11-04-2010, 12:14 AM
I know....I thought that what type of skimmer might help decide the flow.
maybe I'm wrong about that.:mrgreen:

This is the pump I had in mind
http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/wp-q3000/Lifegard+Aquatics+Quiet+One+3000+Water+Pump.html

BlueTang<3
11-04-2010, 12:27 AM
Well some people are hardcore with that saying that not to do more then the skimmer can handle. I am more of the biggest you can fit then throttle it back :mrgreen:

ElGuappo
11-04-2010, 04:16 AM
Well some people are hardcore with that saying that not to do more then the skimmer can handle. I am more of the biggest you can fit then throttle it back :mrgreen:

+1
the more flow you can get here means fewer powerheadsd in the tank. at least IMO

wingedfish
11-04-2010, 01:28 PM
I have a 75G with 30G sump, herbie with 2 1" bulkheads. I run a mag 9.5 full out. that would likely be 7-800gph. seems to work fine.

sphelps
11-04-2010, 01:34 PM
+1
the more flow you can get here means fewer powerheadsd in the tank. at least IMO
+2
I'm also a fan of large turnover, a 75 gallon with that kind of drain can handle a very large turnover without causing problems relating to noise and micro bubbles. The only source of bubble problems would be from the skimmer, if the skimmer releases a lot of micro bubbles a higher flow rate through the sump may cause them to bypass bubble traps/baffles. However proper design and sump layout can avoid this quite easily, and choosing a skimmer which doesn't exhaust a large amount of bubbles is always a good idea. Skimmers which use diffuser plates and have larger diameter bodies typically do better at containing air bubbles.

I'd aim for at least 1000gph turnover, if you can go a little higher and hit a 15x rate at 1125gph even better. However hitting such a number isn't always desirable as typically you need to run larger external pumps which can create more noise. Usually you have to spend quite a bit to get a quiet pump capable of such a flow rate so this whole pump selection may be based on your budget. What is your budget?

viperfish
11-04-2010, 01:37 PM
A high flow rate will mean you can branch off the return and drive other things such as media reactors. I agree with BlueTang<3 about throttling back a larger than needed pump, it allows you control over the flow. I'm a huge believer in keeping the flow below the rate the skimmer can process, you don't want water ripping through the sump and back in the tank without skimming/cleaning first.

Murminator
11-04-2010, 05:36 PM
I have a 75G with 30G sump, herbie with 2 1" bulkheads. I run a mag 9.5 full out. that would likely be 7-800gph. seems to work fine.

I have the same set up on my 90G works good

xblade
11-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Thnx for all the input guys...I'm thinking, go big. :)
I'll shoot for about 800 gph at 5 foot head.
What pumps would you recomend?(in the $200 or less catagory)

Should be getting tank back soon.And then the fun starts.:biggrin:

sphelps
11-05-2010, 05:51 PM
When estimating head pressure you should multiply the vertical height by at least 1.5 to take friction and minnor losses into consideration. A factor of 2 is typically what I go with because over time the pipes become dirty and rough which adds significant friction.

So if you have 4 feet from sump level to display level you should estimate 6-8 feet of head pressure.