PDA

View Full Version : filter floss > socks?

Milad
11-02-2010, 07:27 PM
a few days ago i removed my filter sock and put in some filter floss. Im noticing the water is much clearer with the filter floss over the sock.

Anyone else gone from socks to floss? see a difference?

hillegom
11-02-2010, 07:36 PM
I do not have either so cannot comment on your question.
However if you are achieving cleaner water with floss, wouldn't you get the same results with a lower micron rating for you sock? Maybe you had a 200 micron sock and could use a 50 instead.
But it all will boil down to what is easier to use.
Just my .02 cents.
I plan on one day using a sock, when I get a sump

Milad
11-02-2010, 08:02 PM
true im going for ease. The filter floss seems to be easier for me, no washing etc

cwatkins
11-02-2010, 08:44 PM
How have you setup the filter floss?

Hangfire
11-02-2010, 08:44 PM
I use both. My tank is in the living room, so a sock stuffed with floss helps keep the splashing to a minimum. I guess I can't really answer your question either Milad, but thought I'd throw my two cents in too.

Milad
11-02-2010, 10:39 PM
my sump has a chamber that the overlfows dump into, its about 6w, 18l, 18h
then there is a baffel that goes under then over then into a 2w 18l 4h drop to eggcrate which i put a big long strip of filter floss on. if it clogs, it just raises about 4 inches and goes over the baffel. i also left about 2 inches at the end of the egg create not covered by filter floss for add saftey.

after the filter floss it drops all the way down to bottom of sump and under another baffel to the skimmer.

what i noticed with the filter sock is that it adds back pressure so my herbie gets annoying because it starts backing up and if there isnt a decent 1inch drop in the overflow then i get oil slicks on the top of tank. which i dont mind because it tells me when the sock needs changing but sometimes i dont want to change it right away and it gets annoying. it looks like I will be able to go about a week with the filter floss before i need to add a new strip in. I can get about 15 strips per $4 filter floss

whereas i gota change a filter sock out every 3 days and its $7 bucks for one but i can wash it in the washer (which i dont like doing)

Milad
11-02-2010, 11:16 PM
here is a picture of the sump

filter socks would normally be in first chamber (far left)
since i switched, i have filter floss in third chamber above egg create

first chamber is filled with small live rock rubble

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2361330/Aquarium%20build/Sump/Sump%20design.jpg

Myka
11-02-2010, 11:34 PM
I prefer floss. It is cheap and easy to use. My sump is setup so that only 1/3 of the water going through the sump goes through the floss. I don't think floss or socks are needed, and sometimes I consider scrapping it altogether because I think the benefits are minimal.

Milad
11-03-2010, 12:49 AM
I prefer floss. It is cheap and easy to use. My sump is setup so that only 1/3 of the water going through the sump goes through the floss. I don't think floss or socks are needed, and sometimes I consider scrapping it altogether because I think the benefits are minimal.

really? try taking it out for half the day
my tank looks like garbage when its out for more than a few hours.

Myka
11-03-2010, 01:05 AM
really? try taking it out for half the day
my tank looks like garbage when its out for more than a few hours.

I leave it out here and there, I can't see a difference.

Milad
11-03-2010, 01:32 AM
I leave it out here and there, I can't see a difference.

hmm maybe my tank sucks?

Wayne
11-03-2010, 02:25 AM
I didn't use anything for the last month or so and I got sick of seeing debris floating in the water. So I started using filter floss a few days ago and what a difference! I think I will continue the filter floss just for the cost factor and when I used it in the past I just gave it a quick rinse and put it back in action (till it was nasty enough, then it hit the bin).

Myka
11-03-2010, 10:33 PM
hmm maybe my tank sucks?

:lol: Maybe I have smaller fish that poop less? Maybe my tank is cleaner? Maybe my skimmer works better? I also use Zeovit Coral Snow once a week which really helps with suspended particles. Maybe cuz you're a newbie and I've been at it for nearly two decades? I dunno...could be many things.

Milad
11-03-2010, 10:36 PM
:lol: Maybe I have smaller fish that poop less? Maybe my tank is cleaner? Maybe my skimmer works better? I also use Zeovit Coral Snow once a week which really helps with suspended particles. Maybe cuz you're a newbie and I've been at it for nearly two decades? I dunno...could be many things.

i still think my tank sucks and I need to upgrade!

but ya you may be right on the fish. i have this big fat purple tang that drops bigger poop than me.