PDA

View Full Version : Hello from reefermadness.....

reefermadness
11-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Well since I made my first big thread debut and inadvertently caused a major **** storm, I thought I would formally introduce myself to the canreef community and maybe break the tension. Putting a side our difference of opinion in that thread I hope you guys will find me as an honest and open minded guy with plenty of knowledge on this hobby and SPS corals (specifically as my favorite.) One thing I like already like about Canreef already is that it is not heavily moderated and censored.....the thread previously mentioned is a good example of that.

so to maybe set a side some people's suspicion of my history I have been in the SW aquarium hobby for almost 6yrs now. I, like most, started with a semi small FW tank. After years of seeing SW fish at a crappy LFS I thought I would take the leap and do a FOWLR. Soon after adding fish I discovered corals....and soon after discovering corals I discovered my goal....sps tank. Jumping into SPS, along with that fact that I have moved multiple times, has made the journey more of a roll a coaster ride of success and failure but as my knowledge, willingness to open the wallet, and love for the hobby grew I started enjoying more reliable results.

My name is Darryl and if you visit other forums you may find me under the handle dvanacker or Darryl_V. Being in the hobby this long I do know a few things about the business side but I don't have enough interest to know too much and I have never felt a need to turn my hobby into my job. I did have a frag tank in my basement at one point though. Full disclosure here guys.

Anyway since this is in the picture forum I will start with a picture of my first tank which was my converted 55G (picture about April 2005). I will give you the whole progression in pics, it might take a while but should be a pretty good trip.

Love the backgroud?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/dvanacker/SALT/IMG_0977.jpg

jorjef
11-02-2010, 03:35 PM
AHHHH INTERLOPER ALERT, INTERLOPER ALERT!!! lol just kidding..You're right that is a sweet background.. Welcome to the wild west, where six guns still blaze in a verbal kind of way.

reefermadness
11-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Interloper....actually had to look that one up. Although Im certain that the title does not apply I will let it slide. Also another thing accured to me recently. If anyone has the notion that I called authorities on OC they are mistaken....that is not my MO. Maybe I just didnt realize asking a few questions would cause such a stir (not being a regular canreef member).

I really didnt want to bring that thread into this please... so lets all be friends. Should we hug it out?

Thanks...the background was left on from when it was FW. Lets just say I had a steep learning curve....but had little local resources at the time and was just clueing into the vast knowledge on the interweb. It gets much better, I promise.

Same tank in SEPT 06.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/dvanacker/SALT/Tank2SEPT06.jpg

lastlight
11-02-2010, 04:26 PM
I'd say the new tank is just a SMIDGE sexier lol. Great color what lights are you running?

DiverDude
11-02-2010, 05:13 PM
I really didnt want to bring that thread into this please... so lets all be friends. Should we hug it out?

*shrug* S**t happens and when you engage in open forums (that are truly open) then, well, more s**t happens !

I think you'll find that things aren't quite as 'PC' as they may be on some of the US sites but things are generally very civil nonetheless. There are of course some people to watch out for (like me) but we're mostly harmless.

As for the hugs, unless you happen to be a totally hot chick who happens to be called Daryl, I'll pass. Now....if you ARE a totally hot chick named Daryl, then uhh....I'll show you my coral if you show my yours !

Ummm....don't tell my wife I said that, 'k ?

Myka
11-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Great progression Darryl! Hurry up with more pics! :p

marie
11-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Don't take anything personally Darryl, we are all just one big happy family here..... with all the fights that go with it lol

ScubaSteve
11-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Ah, don't worry 'bout that stuff Darryl. You unfortunately stepped into the middle of an already ongoing ****ing match. You just happened to be the kid who ran into find out what the hubbub was about and stepped on the wasps nest everyone was talkin' 'bout :razz:.

Hey, shoot me a PM. I think I can shed some light on some of the things you were asking about over in the other shmozzle.

Lance
11-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Welcome Daryl. Nice looking tank.

reefermadness
11-03-2010, 12:54 AM
As for the hugs, unless you happen to be a totally hot chick who happens to be called Daryl, I'll pass. Now....if you ARE a totally hot chick named Daryl, then uhh....I'll show you my coral if you show my yours !

Ummm....don't tell my wife I said that, 'k ?

ah...whoa. Im not sure how I feel about posting more coral pics now?? Ok...IM still going do it but I promise you I'm a man, so please do not show me anything, other than corals, if thats what we are talking about:cool:

I'd say the new tank is just a SMIDGE sexier lol. Great color what lights are you running?Thanks lastlight. It's the same tank just over a year into my SW excursion. The pictures were tanking in 2005 and 2006. The orginal lights were PC's but I than went to T5HO. I ran 3 blue+ and 1 aquablue. Back when I started running T5HO everyone was still saying you could not grow SPS with them.

Great progression Darryl! Hurry up with more pics! :pThanks. Your wish is my command. These pictures are again from 2006 of my old 55g, and they will get better.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/dvanacker/SALT/DSC_0037.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/dvanacker/SALT/TankPicsJune06013.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/dvanacker/SALT/TankPicsJune06012.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/dvanacker/SALT/TankPicsJune06014.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/dvanacker/SALT/mini-IMG_1473.jpg

reefermadness
11-03-2010, 01:00 AM
Don't take anything personally Darryl, we are all just one big happy family here..... with all the fights that go with it lolNo problem. I like to debate (that is what I call it when me and the wife get into it) just like anyone. The only thing I take personal is personal insults.

Ah, don't worry 'bout that stuff Darryl. You unfortunately stepped into the middle of an already ongoing ****ing match. You just happened to be the kid who ran into find out what the hubbub was about and stepped on the wasps nest everyone was talkin' 'bout :razz:
Like I said no worries here mate. I totally understand....thanks.

Welcome Daryl. Nice looking tank.Thanks for the welcome. I hoping canreef will prove to be the friendliest forum along with the most open in dialog.

Speaking of I think someone else's post got deleted....I hope that wasn't for my benefit?

Myka
11-03-2010, 01:06 AM
You had some great Zoas that were hard to find in 06! Are you going to post pictures of your more recent setups?

Triggz
11-03-2010, 01:14 AM
Darryl is DEF holding out on us! That I can guarantee

Been to good time charlies lately? LOL

Delphinus
11-03-2010, 03:14 AM
Welcome to Canreef. :) Great looking tank there.

vaporize
11-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Darryl, now that you got me reading your thread, I wanted to know which 'other' thread you stirred up the dust on :P

fishytime
11-03-2010, 11:46 PM
sweet lookin tank mang!....could you post some details about your system?