PDA

View Full Version : Looking for fish trap or ideas for a fish trap.

Douglas
11-02-2010, 02:21 PM
I'm looking for a fish trap, or ideas on how to make a successful fish trap.

jorjef
11-02-2010, 02:46 PM
I can't remember the brand but I have used a simple retangular plexi box about 6" x 6" x 10"L with a sliding trap door at one end. It had a 3/4" feeding tube you slide in from the top of the trap. The door was made of glass with fishing line to hold it open. It was a bit of a waiting game with the fish but if set up properly it worked well.

BMW Rider
11-02-2010, 05:07 PM
I have one I made quite a while back to catch a foxface that needed a new home. Its pretty much exactly as decribed in the previous post. The door has a catch that is released manually with a line. I didn't add a feeding tube, I just placed the food in manually or used a syringe to shoot it in the open door.

It worked perfectly the first time. I placed it in the tank for a few days to let the fish get used to it, and get used to the idea of it being a good place to dine. Then once it was not so wary, I was able to easily catch it.

I recently tried to catch a Domino damsel in it, but the wily b***h was the only fish in the tank that would not enter the trap. :twised: Ever. :twised: All the rest of the tank inhabitants would happily swim in for the treats without a worry in the world, but the one fish I wanted to catch would absolutely never go into it. I finally had to resort to a long and determined effort chasing her around and cornering her with several nets to catch her.

kien
11-02-2010, 05:12 PM
I have a fish trap you can borrow if you like. It is one of these (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=am-trap00). It is currently on loan with another canreefer but they are done with it so needs to be returned. *hint*hint*

Myka
11-02-2010, 06:07 PM
I use a pop bottle with the top inverted. For bigger fish I use a 2L, and cut the spout bigger so they will fit.

fishytime
11-03-2010, 05:14 AM
hook and line?:mrgreen: