PDA

View Full Version : Gauging Interest: Social acclimation box [Updates]

piusma
11-02-2010, 09:25 AM
Not sure how many of you have heard about social acclimation box.

I'm about to add my last few fish to my fish tank and came across a thread regarding a social acclimation box. I believe I will need one of those for my last few fish and decided to look into building one.

I have finished building my first unit and have extra materials left for a couple more. I can build another acclimation box between $30-$45 depending on the size of the box you want or size of the fish you wanted to put into it. While these will not be in commerical quality, I can guarantee that they'll be very well built and functional.

I'd like to find out if any of you would be interested. These will be built with lexan which is much stronger and break resistant than plexi / acrylics. I have attached a few pictures of some prototypes :wink:

Please send me a PM if you are interested in one and what dimensions you would like. For your information, my first prototype is approx 4" wide x 6" deep x 14" long.

This one is the one that inspired me, hangs on the side of the tank for easy access.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/tileman/022-6.jpg

Update: Images of the prototype

Smallest size box (Note the top hanger part is adjustable through strapping at a different height)
http://www.themoments.ca/share/smallest.JPG

Medium size box (my first prototype)
http://www.themoments.ca/share/medium.JPG

Largest size box (Base on the clearance of my 180 gallon tank braces, scale to provide decent space for a medium size tang or angel, unfinished product, still needing hanger part)
http://www.themoments.ca/share/largest.JPG
Steven

gobytron
11-02-2010, 02:01 PM
maybe a link to the thread you saw or some reference for the curious?

kien
11-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Oooh, sounds like a great idea! I am definitely interested. I would like a Social Acclimation box that is about 10' by 10' by 10'. I know a few people that I would like to put in it!

piusma
11-02-2010, 04:16 PM
The idea is when introducing new fish to your tank, to reduce aggression, you could use a social acclimation chamber. What it really is, is a clear submesible box and inside you can put a few PVC pipes for your fish to hide in.

This box should be big enough for your fish to live in for a couple of days and still get fed. It would allow your fish to get to know each other with actual physical contact. It allows you to observe their behaviour and release the new fish when aggression subsides. It helps if you are introducing some delicated fish to some existing fish would might be very terriitorial.

Steven

piusma
11-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Kien,

I'd suggest a 2' x 4' x 8' for your specimen :twised: 10' x 10' x 10' is a waste of material and realestate.

Steven

kien
11-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Kien,

I'd suggest a 2' x 4' x 8' for your specimen :twised: 10' x 10' x 10' is a waste of material and realestate.

Steven

But that would only allow me to hold 1 specimen. As I have multiples, I will need a larger enclosure. Please and thank you!

Oh, and your idea of using a smaller enclosure for fish, brilliant! Maybe one that is the size of a medium tang? I find tangs as hard to socially acclimatize as some humans :neutral:

Myka
11-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Oh, very nice! I like this. I would REALLY like it if you could figure out a way to make one of the ends slide up and down so it can be used like a trap too. If you can do that and you're willing to ship I would buy one about 10x4x6" (lwh).

Murminator
11-02-2010, 05:55 PM
For small fish I use a breeder trap/net. I also use it for fish that are taking a beating or on the way out

cwatkins
11-02-2010, 08:50 PM
For small fish I use a breeder trap/net. I also use it for fish that are taking a beating or on the way out

I should have either done this or used a social acclimation box for my Flame Angel. Poor guy never saw those clowns coming...

Nebthet
11-02-2010, 09:10 PM
I would be interested in one of these as well. You said your prototype was 16 inches long... is that what you are basing your price off of?

piusma
11-03-2010, 01:47 AM
I would say the one that I have would be $30 and any bigger size would cost you more obviously. If there is enough interest in this I could pick up some better tools to allow more refined finishing on the product. I'm very happy with my prototype and I'll try to post some pictures later.
Steven

Lance
11-03-2010, 01:50 AM
I'd be interested in a larger size as well.

piusma
11-03-2010, 06:14 AM
It is possible to make them into a larger size box with the consideration that you'll have to have the clearance between your tank braces. Also need to take into consideration that this will take up space in your tank and needs to have a place for it.

I'm more concerned about shipping to you, Lance.

Steven

piusma
11-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Added pictures of sample products in the original post and please PM if you are interested in one and let me know the dimensions that you're interested in.

Steven