PDA

View Full Version : Betta Breeders

Bugsy
11-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Hello I am looking for Betta Breeders in the Okanagan Area.

I would also consider anywhere else in Canada too.

Thanks....:mrgreen:

BlueWorldAquatic
11-01-2010, 07:07 PM
If you are looking for high end stuff, do a search for BC bettas, I used to sell them stuff.

Ken

Bugsy
11-02-2010, 01:43 AM
Thanks for your reply. BC Bettas has been out of business for quite a few years now.

:biggrin:

zenafish
11-03-2010, 04:46 PM
What are you looking for? To obtain stock, or to connect with other breeders?

Not too many people are actively breeding bettas now. There isn't enough return in the hobby for the fish they breed, and to many it's simply too much work. Myself being one of them. I've been transhipping Aquabid bettas for the last two years, and recently I had to call it quit even with Hung's tons of help because we're not making any money.

To connect with other people in the betta breeding hobby, I'd suggest you look up Betta Breeders Canada. You need to pay for memebership for both that club and IBC (international betta congress), but the handful of people there are good. Here is another Canadian group of people who breed bettas and this forum is free (http://www.atfreeforum.com/bettasplendens/) and finally, to connect with a wider N.American betta fan base, the best place to go would be Ultimate Bettas (also free).

HTH.

Bugsy
11-04-2010, 02:41 AM
Thank you very much for your reply. You know its funny that you say that about breeding bettas. I have been doing lots of looking on different sites and it seems that there is just a flood of people breeding the Halfmoons right now. The other thing that concerns me as you mentioned is placing these fish in new homes when you end up with a hundred or so.

I have thought about breeding them for a while but have issues with getting rid of them when the time comes or culling oh my lord I don't know if I have the stomach for that unless they are deformed then I can but just to get rid of them is a touch hard.

One thing I have always wanted to do was to build a nice display case for some male bettas in our home. Maybe 5-6 so it would look nice as they are so beautiful and to have and to have some different kinds to would be nice.

I have been toying with this idea for the past few days, do I attempt the breeding or not. But I think now this has made up my mind as I know our LFS here have stopped taking fish from local breeders due to problems in the past so this would just a headache for me to try and find homes for them.

So with that, I think I will just enjoy my 3 boys I have the 2 ladies are in my 46 gal tank with my Discus and they are doing very well. Its nicely planted and all too.

Thanks for the other web site I will check it out and thank you for the reply too.

zenafish
11-04-2010, 01:29 PM
You could always adopt them out for free. People generally tend to draw towards that F word :lol:

BlueWorldAquatic
11-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Bettas are one of the most intersting fish to breed.

At time is barbaric, and others its majestic.

Watching the process from courtship, nest building, etc is amazing.

Don't let anyone ever tell you that you need to seperate the males. If they are left in a large enough tank, they can grow up together also.

regardless, enjoy the experience.

Ken