PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my new triggerfish???!!

daniella3d
11-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Hi,

I just got a new triggerfish (niger) and after brining it home I check and the salinity is at 1.017.

Now I currently have a blue hippo and a clownfish in hyposalinity at 1.010 for ich treatemtn and they have been there for 2 weeks since last sign of ich. I was wondering should I put the trigger in 1.010 instead of putting it in my other tank wich is at 1.024?

I am guessing that lowering the salinity by .07 will be less hard on him than raising it by .07 ??

But what I would be afraid of is if he ever develop velvet, what to do then? surely one cannot treat with copper in hypo, and raising salinity must be done like no more than .03 per day so I am really confused what to do?

Put it in low salinity and hope it does not develop velvet? or risk raising the salinity by .07 in one day and put it in my frag tank which has no fish in it? than wait to see if it develop anything bad?

How would you treat a fish for velvet if that fish is already in 1.010 hyposalinity?? is that even possible?

Can Cupramine be started while still in hypo and then raise the salinity? that is if I ever need to because the fish would develop velvet.

I know I am thinking this ahead as there is no sign of disease but I want to play it safe.

marie
11-01-2010, 04:41 PM
I personally would put the trigger in a new quarantine tank. If you put him in with the hippo and clown, that means extending the hippo and clowns treatment an extra few weeks.....

reefwars
11-01-2010, 05:03 PM
so the salinity you brought him home in was .017??

your hospital tank is at .010??

your display is at .024??

where does the fragtank come in i take it its also at .024??

seems to me an easy answer is too bring the niger back untill youve finished treatment with your other fish, i had a hippo in hypo for a while and when the hospital tank was set up the buying doors were closed i didnt buy anything untill i was ready to take the hospital tank down and i had the hippo healthy(i opted not to keep the hippo and gave it away once treated)

being just a personal consumer i buy 1 fish it is quarantined for 1 mth if its healthy then its added , as a good rule of thumb i wont buy another fish for another month......now no one ever does this lol

good luck with the niger though one of my favorite fish:):)

daniella3d
11-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Both my frag tank and my QT are quarantine tanks as they both have independant system and for now only liverok in the frag tank.

I was planning to put the trigger in the 1.024 tank but can it be done safely from 1.017 in few hours?

I cannot bring the niger back at the store if this is what you are suggesting.

so the salinity you brought him home in was .017??

your hospital tank is at .010??

your display is at .024??

where does the fragtank come in i take it its also at .024??

seems to me an easy answer is too bring the niger back untill youve finished treatment with your other fish, i had a hippo in hypo for a while and when the hospital tank was set up the buying doors were closed i didnt buy anything untill i was ready to take the hospital tank down and i had the hippo healthy(i opted not to keep the hippo and gave it away once treated)

being just a personal consumer i buy 1 fish it is quarantined for 1 mth if its healthy then its added , as a good rule of thumb i wont buy another fish for another month......now no one ever does this lol

good luck with the niger though one of my favorite fish:):)

daniella3d
11-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Yes that's what I was upset about, having to put my hippo for another 4 weeks QT.

Can I safely put my trigger in the 1.024 salinity? I don,t have another tank available, just these 2 wich both have independant system. There is no fish in the 1.024 tank, but there are some coral. I could lower the salinity a bit maybe around 1.021 or 1.022? and then acclimate the trigger to this from 1.017? That would be around .04 to 0.05 points, is that ok?

I personally would put the trigger in a new quarantine tank. If you put him in with the hippo and clown, that means extending the hippo and clowns treatment an extra few weeks.....

Lance
11-01-2010, 05:14 PM

So Marie. What you're saying is: You" Figure the Trigger" should stay away from the "Hippo in Hypo"?

:redface: OMG! Way too much candy last night! Sugar High!

reefwars
11-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Yes that's what I was upset about, having to put my hippo for another 4 weeks QT.

Can I safely put my trigger in the 1.024 salinity? I don,t have another tank available, just these 2 wich both have independant system. There is no fish in the 1.024 tank, but there are some coral. I could lower the salinity a bit maybe around 1.021 or 1.022? and then acclimate the trigger to this from 1.017? That would be around .04 to 0.05 points, is that ok?

i think its your best call if you have no other options slightly lower one and slightly raise the other and acclimate him to it slowly and see if hes good just keep an eye on him/her:)

Lance
11-01-2010, 05:32 PM

Acclimate him slowly. Remember, it's much harder on the fish to go from lower to higher salinity than vice versa.

daniella3d
11-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Yes I know. now the tank is at 1.022, so that would be 0.05 point. but how slowly? 3 hours? 4 hours? more? After 2 hours the salinity in the bag is now at 1.020.

Acclimate him slowly. Remember, it's much harder on the fish to go from lower to higher salinity than vice versa.

marie
11-01-2010, 08:41 PM
So Marie. What you're saying is: You" Figure the Trigger" should stay away from the "Hippo in Hypo"?

:redface: OMG! Way too much candy last night! Sugar High!

Ummmm ok........yes that is exactly what I meant :drinking:

daniella3d
11-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Ok now the fish is in the aquarium and wow, he's got some appetite! I feed it with a pipette and he wants to eat the pipette as well, lol :)

I guess he's ok with the acclimation with that sort of appetite. I gave him frozen mysis and he ate a full cube. Cute fish, very deep blue.

Lance
11-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Yay! Enjoy him. Triggers are lots of fun.

daniella3d
11-01-2010, 10:41 PM
They seem to be quite tame, almost like a pet.

Yay! Enjoy him. Triggers are lots of fun.

Lance
11-01-2010, 10:55 PM
They seem to be quite tame, almost like a pet.

Yup I can lift mine right out of the water with my bare hand. I have to put food in my hand first though. They're such piggies! :biggrin:

Madreefer
11-02-2010, 02:36 AM
Were the other fish with the ick in the tank that the trigger is in now? If so does'nt the tank have to be free of any fish for 6 weeks? Someone correct me if i'm wrong but your trigger may get ick now if it is still in your tank. You may have introduced a new host for the ick.

daniella3d
11-02-2010, 02:54 AM
The fish with the ick is in another tank in hyposalinity. I was debating if I was going to add the trigger to that tank and continue the hypo treatment for another 4 weeks.

I finaly decided to put the trigger at 1.022 in my frag tank. No ick in there. That does not exclude that the trigger might have ick because he does come from the same store where I bought the hippo which had ich.

If he end up with ich, I will have to treat it. I will do the hyposalinity anyway once the blue hippo is in the main tank. I don,t put any fish in my main tank without doing a 4 weeks hyposalinity quanrantine.

Were the other fish with the ick in the tank that the trigger is in now? If so does'nt the tank have to be free of any fish for 6 weeks? Someone correct me if i'm wrong but your trigger may get ick now if it is still in your tank. You may have introduced a new host for the ick.