PDA

View Full Version : Silicon?

Magma
10-31-2010, 08:15 PM
So I went to home depot today to find some silicon to reseal my tank with and I only found a few that were in black colour.

I picked up a GE Silicon II, and now I have been searching online and some people say no dont use it it has "bioseal" and others say its fine...

The tube says 100% Silicon and it never once says BioSeal or mold/mildew resistance so is it good to use or not?

(blue tube says Windows & Doors)

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=941920&Ntt=941920&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=118411%204294966149&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

Myka
10-31-2010, 08:34 PM
I know exactly the one you are talking about. I know that Silicone I is the one that is safe, and we shouldn't buy the Silicone II even if it says 100% silicone. The Windows & Doors is correct...you can get it in Silicone I and Silicone II. I know Silicone II is considering more durable, so it must have something added...? I can't find Silicone I in black.

AGA also sells silicone. It comes in small tubes and the big tubes as well as clear or black. Since this is an aquarium brand it obviously is safe. It is only a couple bucks more than buying from Home Depot or such.

Magma
10-31-2010, 08:38 PM
yah theres like 3 bottles of black at Home depot one is Mono? then the GE II and then a small tube of quick seal. So where do I find tank safe Black Silicon :(

and I cant find one in Home depot that says "for aquariums" probably due to a liability issue or something

Myka
10-31-2010, 08:47 PM
Ya they took "aquariums" off the label awhile back. Buy black silicone at a reef shop. Should be about $15-18 for the big tube (10 oz?).

Magma
10-31-2010, 08:53 PM
Yah I think I will save this tube and call GE tomorrow and see if they still have that mold crap in them if they do its going back and I will start to call around for black silicone.

pirate
10-31-2010, 09:28 PM
With all the searching that I did when I was getting ready to silcone baffles into my sump they all say don't use GE2, they all say to use GE1. They removed the marking that say safe or aquariums for libility issues. Do an internet search and there are lots of silcone to use.
If you only need a small amount I'd just go down to the fish shop and buy some silcone, it cost more then the GE ones. But you know it will be reef safe then.

burrows14
10-31-2010, 09:58 PM
Home hardware carries a silicone in clear and Black that states safe for aquariums on the front label. It is $9.99 for a 3 pack which is a good deal IMO
Cant remember the brand name but the tube is teal and white.
Cheers
Ray

Hockeyman
10-31-2010, 11:33 PM
Home hardware carries a silicone in clear and Black that states safe for aquariums on the front label. It is $9.99 for a 3 pack which is a good deal IMO
Cant remember the brand name but the tube is teal and white.
Cheers
Ray

Weathershield is their brand name at home hardware

Magma
10-31-2010, 11:55 PM
I have read so much into silicon the past few hours its stupid, and it seems that the old GE II had the bio seal stuff, but the new stuff doesnt. Most of the people that say dont use it never tired it and wont try it, but everyone that I have read about who used it says it works just fine even with the bioseal on it. So im even more confused now lol

burrows14
11-01-2010, 12:00 AM
Weathershield is their brand name at home hardware

Thats it!!

jzz30tt
11-01-2010, 12:04 AM
Of course like everything else on here everyone will have their own opinions. I have used recently(within the last 8 months) for 2 tanks, GE Silicone II in black but the version that has 0 mention of mildew resistance or bio seal. It's the windows and doors type. The tanks were a 20 Gallon that i have a small colony of Demasoni juvenille's in and the other a 50 that houses FW angels, Clown loaches, black neon tetras, and a dwarf gourami.

Both tanks have been fine ever since the resilicone job but i will make mention that i did allow a week to cure after redoing it.

This is from personal experience and not hearsay but obviously it's buyer beware all the same.

Magma
11-01-2010, 12:16 AM
sounds like the bottle I have, I wont be using the tank for a few months anyways so I will re seal it then leave it before I even test with water.

Lampshade
11-08-2010, 09:46 AM
I found GE silicon 1 at HD the other day, it's hidden on the bottom shelf at the store out here. Not sure if your store's the same layout, but they where hiding in plain sight. I swear they are part ninja or something though... i had to ask where to find it.

Myka
11-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Home hardware carries a silicone in clear and Black that states safe for aquariums on the front label.

I'm going to have to look for this stuff!