PDA

View Full Version : calling all welders and fabricators:):)......(grizz...hint hint..)

reefwars
10-31-2010, 04:30 PM
needing a welders or metal fabricators advice ...im looking to get a giant metal washer made it has to be about 3' in diameter, it needs to be not flexible so maybe it will have to have some supports welded on top?? but can this be made?? how heavy do you thinnk it will be?? how much would such a item cost roughly?? wheres the best place to get one made ?? any one want to make one lol????? thanks guys:):)

Seth72
10-31-2010, 04:56 PM
I used to work in a steal shop wheni was younger and something like that would have to be cut on the torch table.

Just go to a place like Russle metals,pick your width of steel and strengh,mild steel would be fine and they would cut it for you,not sure of the price though.

would be hard to hand cut a perfect circle....at least i could not do it. :smile:

hillegom
10-31-2010, 05:38 PM
What the heck are you going to do with that?
As far as weight goes, a one foot by one foot by one inch thick piece of steel weights 40 lbs

steve fedyk
10-31-2010, 06:57 PM
most places you can order the steel cut. That's how we get most of are stuff in. The rest we cut on the water jet or burning table. 3/8 plate would be strong enough in most cases.
What do you need it for?
probley coast about $150 for cutting and the material.

reefwars
10-31-2010, 07:00 PM
most places you can order the steel cut. That's how we get most of are stuff in. The rest we cut on the water jet or burning table. 3/8 plate would be strong enough in most cases.
What do you need it for?

im going to be using it as a light ring for my 4x4 tank it will have 4 pendants bolted on ti it and the ring will be suspended by wires from trusses in my ceiling, it doesnt have to be flat steel also i should mention or a full circle for that matter either maybe square tubing in the shape of a stop sign.

i could easily make it from plywood plys but id like it to last long and not lose shape and most importantly id like it to be clean looking:) thanks all:):)

hillegom
10-31-2010, 07:19 PM
I vote for non flat steel (ugly to me over your tank). I like your idea of making it out of square tubing. Maybe 3/4 in?

The Grizz
10-31-2010, 07:22 PM
If that is all it is going to support then a 1/4' plate would do just fine and could be cut very easily. I can get a price on the steel tomorrow and let you know. It would only take me about a 1/2 hr to cut it and clean. You want it to be a 3' circle but how wide of a band do you want.? Just a guess here but it could be done for around $75.

hillegom
10-31-2010, 07:26 PM
Flat ring sounds good too. A couple of inches wide?

lockrookie
10-31-2010, 07:32 PM
add a disco ball in the middle of the ring then you will have tank chandalier
:)

reefwars
10-31-2010, 07:38 PM
add a disco ball in the middle of the ring then you will have tank chandalier
:)

hahah not a bad idea lol disco over the tank :) im thinking 3 inches so i can add some moonlights comforably any thoughts?? the ring like grizz said wont actually be holding any weight just the pendants and wiring and id like to think ahead and make it strong enough to hold strip lights on as well down the road:)

reefwars
10-31-2010, 07:43 PM
hahah not a bad idea lol disco over the tank :) im thinking 3 inches so i can add some moonlights comforably any thoughts?? the ring like grizz said wont actually be holding any weight just the pendants and wiring and id like to think ahead and make it strong enough to hold strip lights on as well down the road:)

maybe a cross brace on the back tacked on so it keeps its shape over time???out of flat bar or something??

reefwars
10-31-2010, 07:46 PM

just thinking out loud here but better yet if i do a cross brace on the back out of square tubing that could hide all my wires eh??? would be clean no??:):)

madkeenreefer
10-31-2010, 07:55 PM
A lazer cutting shop will be the best bet http://www.google.com/search?q=laser+cutting+edmonton&hl=en&safe=off&rls=GWYA,GWYA:2009-04,GWYA:en&prmd=mc&source=univ&tbs=plcs:1&tbo=u&ei=CsnNTIT0CMP_lgfns_DpCA&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CCkQtQMwAA
, as for the size I would not go over 1/4" as it will just be overkill personly 3/16" would do it for me also if you get it lazer cut it wont twist or bow out of flat, your only going to be supporting a few kilo at max right?

legendboy
10-31-2010, 08:15 PM
I get one off items laser cut for work all the time. I would guess Laser Equations in Calgary would charge you around $200 for 1 peice.

Depending on what thickness of material you need, probably .125" a sheet metal shop or hvac shop might be able to cut it for you cheaper

It might be easier to make this out of plywood and basic hand/power tools. Definitly cheaper!

The Grizz
10-31-2010, 08:34 PM
A 1/2" or 3/4" square tube x brace to hold the shape and the wire's would be simple light and look clean, drill some holes at the end of the tubing, attach your hanging wire and you are all set. Easy job for any good welder.

Ya Dude
10-31-2010, 11:17 PM
use aluminum its easy to drill and it doesnt rust

phi delt reefer
11-01-2010, 01:45 AM
This maybe a cheaper solution...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1552033&page=3