PDA

View Full Version : fixing the seaclone skimmer

Namscam
12-07-2003, 07:01 AM
i have a 150 gallon seaclone protein skimmer and it makes way to much bubbles and its disturbing my corals and othe inverts....does n e one know how to fix this problem other than getting a new skimmer??

martym
12-07-2003, 01:08 PM
Reduce the flow of water, by adding more bubbles. How old is the skimmer? It usually takes them awhile to settle down, and start working.

Namscam
12-07-2003, 07:42 PM
its like 2 weeks old.....it makes too much bubbles i dont want it to make as much bubbles

martym
12-07-2003, 08:51 PM
I found with mine( I have the 100) That if the water flow is too high, bubbles enter the tank. I need to ajust the air vale until the water flow is low enough that it doesn't carry the bubbles with it back to the tank. Hope that makes since and helps.

Namscam
12-07-2003, 09:58 PM
will it still work as well when the water flow is lower???

Namscam
12-09-2003, 10:25 PM
i turned down the water flow on my skimmer but found out that the darn thing just didnt work that well...it didnt pull up anything in two days so i just said forget that and turned it to the max.....now i m getting 1 cup every 2 hour but the only problem is that the liquid that is pulled up is just as clear as my tank water...the only difference is that it kind of has a little smell but not really that much....any ideas on how to fix it????

martym
12-10-2003, 12:15 AM
That would be mostly you tank water. The seaclone is not a very good skimmer. I just went from a 55 to 90g tank. You would think with the stirring up of the sand and live rock that the skimmer would go nuts, not even a bit. I stopped using the Seaclown a few months ago and went with a Berlin XL, thats a good skimmer. Had to go back to the seaclone as the Xl doesn't fit under the stand.It takes alot of fiddleing to get it (seaclone)just right. I'm looking for a good HOB for the 90 now. Going to sell seaclone and XL.

Chad
12-10-2003, 12:24 AM
That would be mostly you tank water. The seaclone is not a very good skimmer. I just went from a 55 to 90g tank. You would think with the stirring up of the sand and live rock that the skimmer would go nuts, not even a bit. I stopped using the Seaclown a few months ago and went with a Berlin XL, thats a good skimmer. Had to go back to the seaclone as the Xl doesn't fit under the stand.It takes alot of fiddleing to get it (seaclone)just right. I'm looking for a good HOB for the 90 now. Going to sell seaclone and XL.

I have modified my seacloen quite a bit.. I get some good gunk outta my tank now.. but I do want to upgrade as well.. I will prolly build one.

Chad

dekay
12-10-2003, 01:03 AM
If your tank is relatively new, you probably won't have that much to skim anyways. Not that I ever owned a seaclone though, but for most ppl who had them, they claim they suck.

Namscam
12-10-2003, 05:53 AM
wut kind of mods did u do???

Chad
12-10-2003, 06:00 AM
wut kind of mods did u do???

Well you cut the inner tub down ( I didn't do this part personaly but the person before me did). The biggest mod I did was my own venturi for my maxijet 1200... here is a pic

http://www.members.shaw.ca/cmcd/MaxiJet.jpg

Chad

DiscusZ
12-10-2003, 06:19 PM
I gave up on my seaclone as it never skimmed much.. when I got my Remora Pro HOB, within 12 hours I was skimming more with the Remora than I ever did with the Seacrap er Seaclone (which was mod'ed)

Just my 2 cents

Jim

Namscam
12-11-2003, 01:30 AM
i find it that if i dont close the lid on the cup as much like just gently put it on , and not closing it completely that it works a lot better

Buccaneer
12-11-2003, 01:32 AM
i find it that if i dont close the lid on the cup as much like just gently put it on , and not closing it completely that it works a lot better

Do you have to stand on one leg and rub your belly too :razz:

DiscusZ
12-11-2003, 05:00 AM
You know Buk_a_neer I never tried that.. maybe I should and maybe it will work better.. Only problem is when you leave the room will it continue to work? :biggrin:

Namscam
12-11-2003, 08:25 AM
yup it ll still work