PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have living Blue Steel Zoas - Found... PIC added - THANKS MYKA

paddyob
10-31-2010, 05:03 AM
I know the Blue Steel Zoa had a horrible death rate all over the world when it circulated a while back. Even I personally tried 2 small frags. The first one died... bought another... it dies too.

So now I have heard some people have had luck and they may actually have grown in their tanks. I am interested in somehow getting ahold of a few polyps if anyone has some.

PM me if you have any.

Thanks!

Myka
10-31-2010, 06:35 AM
I have some, they are doing well so far. I've had them for maybe 3 months? They started spreading right away, spread fairly quickly.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/Myka82/Atasuki/Aug2420107.jpg

paddyob
10-31-2010, 06:37 AM
I have some, they are doing well so far. I've had them for maybe 3 months? They started spreading right away, but don't spread very quickly.

I come through Saskatoon every couple months to visit my folks in Moose Jaw.

Any chance when you are ready... you might want to part with a couple polyps? I would love you for it.

A few months is good for anyone I hear.... most died in weeks. Hopefully yours acclimated to tank life well.

Myka
10-31-2010, 06:43 AM
I come through Saskatoon every couple months to visit my folks in Moose Jaw.

Any chance when you are ready... you might want to part with a couple polyps? I would love you for it.

A few months is good for anyone I hear.... most died in weeks. Hopefully yours acclimated to tank life well.

Sorry I edited my post after you posted. They do spread fairly quickly. In however long it has been (3 months?) they have overgrown their frag plug. They are one of the few that are spreading in my Zoa tank. Go figure...

I got mine from Bayside Corals. Last time I was in there he still had some. If not, ya sure stop by and get some from me. I'm real tough to get a hold of though. :neutral:

They sure have enough names though eh? Blue Steel, African Blue Steel, African Hornets, AOI's.

ElGuappo
10-31-2010, 03:54 PM
i have a ready to go frag right now... its small tho.. i just got them and they havent really healed tho.. my frag just had a few polps fall off in the bag...

paddyob
11-01-2010, 11:42 PM
i have a ready to go frag right now... its small tho.. i just got them and they havent really healed tho.. my frag just had a few polps fall off in the bag...

Thats not a good sign Guappo. Thats exactly what happened to mine as they died off.

Let me know down the road if they heal.... I would not count on it though.

paddyob
11-01-2010, 11:44 PM
Still looking for a frag.

ElGuappo
11-02-2010, 07:17 AM
Thats not a good sign Guappo. Thats exactly what happened to mine as they died off.

Let me know down the road if they heal.... I would not count on it though.

its wasnt that bad.. the rock that was fraged split in 2 in the bag.. not like they actually fell apart...

paddyob
11-15-2010, 12:14 AM
Thank you Myka For the great little frag. i passed through saskatoon And she hooked me up. i am still an hour from hitting edmonton... it is in a cooler with hand warmers maintaining warmth. although it is in complete darkness... everytime i check the polyps Are open. nice! cant wait to get them in the tank.

Myka
11-15-2010, 12:25 AM
You're welcome! I hope they do as well for you as they have been for me...and they continue that way! ;)

paddyob
11-15-2010, 03:37 AM
You're welcome! I hope they do as well for you as they have been for me...and they continue that way! ;)

They are in the tank and opening. They are a darker blue than the ones I had before.

Almost look like a Blue Hornet. AWESOME COLOUR!!!

I Can't thank you enough!

Myka
11-18-2010, 03:32 PM
Hey no problem. They do have great color, but they are Steels, not Hornets. If you ever saw Blue Hornets in person you would understand!

paddyob
11-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Hey no problem. They do have great color, but they are Steels, not Hornets. If you ever saw Blue Hornets in person you would understand!

Fair enough. All I know is the Blue Steels I had were a very pale blue with yellow rings... these have same markings but color is darker.

Only 2 are open right now. Not sure if they are working in or what. I know it took my PPE about a week to start opening. I moved the BSZ to a more shaded area to see what happens. Maybe coming from lower light they are a tad stressed.

Myka
11-18-2010, 04:49 PM
Ya maybe. They have always been open for me. Took them maybe an hour to open all the way when first introduced, and they never looked back.

paddyob
11-29-2010, 07:07 AM
Here is my little frag from Myka. As you can see, I am battling cyano of some sort and it loves to cover my zoas daily. They require daily cleaning.

The cyano seems to have lightened a bit yesterday so they began to open again.... here they are.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=467&pictureid=3936

paddyob
01-28-2011, 01:17 AM
After two months + they are finally doing well. Here is the first shot I have been able to get of them all opened up.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=461&pictureid=4061

Thanks Mindy! There are even a few more babies growing in the sides now!

The Grizz
01-28-2011, 01:48 AM
After two months + they are finally doing well. Here is the first shot I have been able to get of them all opened up.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=461&pictureid=4061

Thanks Mindy! There are even a few more babies growing in the sides now!

Patrick, those are some nice zoas, grow them babies up I would love a frag:biggrin:

paddyob
01-28-2011, 01:53 AM
Patrick, those are some nice zoas, grow them babies up I would love a frag:biggrin:

Greg.. you are number three! I know someone who has true Purple Hornets... he is gonna trade me a frag for frag once mine grow.. and his.

They have definitely started to do well... so once I can frag them... I most likely will.

They had such a poor record that I do not mind, to a point, spreading them around and keeping them going.

Myka
01-28-2011, 05:35 PM
Hey looking good! Oooooh, Purple Hornets? :D

lastlight
01-28-2011, 05:45 PM
That photo is just amazing. Those have to be some of the nicest zoas ever in my opinion. Are mine here the same? Possibly just a much crappier photo?

http://www.fishbrains.net/images/97/bluezoo2.jpg

Myka
01-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Yours look pretty similar Brett. The ones I have (and paddy of course) have lots of green in the skirts.

lastlight
01-28-2011, 06:16 PM
I'll talk to mine today and see if they're change skirts or something. Nice zoas!