PDA

View Full Version : heater gone haywire, its summer in my tank!!!!........CHECK YOUR EQUIPMENT!!!

reefwars
10-30-2010, 09:25 PM
holy geesh man lol i went and stuck my finger in the tank randomly and was like man thats hot checked the temp almost 90 ...hummm not good i say i pull out the heater and its extremely hot ....i turn it down to nothing it stays hot something messed up with it, guess its time for a new heater now. theres no harm to the tank theres no coral and its just a holding tank for my yellow tang and hes looking good but i guess its time to check all the equipment:)

Skimmerking
10-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Wow man shitty things good thing that you were sticking your finger in there to see. glad to hear that old yeller is doing good..

reefwars
10-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Wow man shitty things good thing that you were sticking your finger in there to see. glad to hear that old yeller is doing good..

yeah hes as hardy as a tang can be lol hes been super healthy since the day ive gotten him hes the only fish ive kept from my other set ups and havent had the heart to sell ive had him since he was a little bigger tan a toonie and now hes a healthy monster:)

notice to all to check your heaters and other equipment going into the cold season with power outages sure to happen make sure your heaters and powerheads have no trouble turning back on once power is restored:):)cheers all:)

daniella3d
10-30-2010, 10:11 PM
Rather, guess it's time for a controler. Reef keeper lite is not so expensive and will avoid this type of mess.

I don't let my heater be in control and it is my controller with a good temperature probe that keep the right temperature.

You will buy a new heater and it can do the same thing or worse in a month or so, you never know.

guess its time for a new heater now. theres no harm to the tank theres no coral and its just a holding tank for my yellow tang and hes looking good but i guess its time to check all the equipment:)

reefwars
10-30-2010, 10:17 PM
Rather, guess it's time for a controler. Reef keeper lite is not so expensive and will avoid this type of mess.

I don't let my heater be in control and it is my controller with a good temperature probe that keep the right temperature.

You will buy a new heater and it can do the same thing or worse in a month or so, you never know.

i wont be buying a controller for this tank thanks its only a 30g and its ran for years plus a controller doesnt fix a broken heater it just tells if somethings wrong or turns it off or on .. in my case where it was to hot it would have been ok but if it was the opposite then a controller cant make your heater work....soooooo check all your equipment lol

fyi though i am going to be using a apex controller for my 200g i just wanted to make sure everyone is checking their equipment before winter:)

cheers:):)

reefwars
10-30-2010, 10:22 PM
i wont be buying a controller for this tank thanks its only a 30g and its ran for years plus a controller doesnt fix a broken heater it just tells if somethings wrong or turns it off or on .. in my case where it was to hot it would have been ok but if it was the opposite then a controller cant make your heater work....soooooo check all your equipment lol

fyi though i am going to be using a apex controller for my 200g i just wanted to make sure everyone is checking their equipment before winter:)

also for the fact once my 200 is up i will be moving everything from the 30 into it:):) cheers:)

daniella3d
10-31-2010, 02:29 AM
It would have worked in your case, and it could have sounded an alarm in the opposite situation and warn you that something was wrong before it was too late.

As for checking all your equipement, heaters can fail any moment, either getting stuck and frying the tank or failing and the tank gets to room temperature wich should not be too bad.

The worst scenario is what hapened to you and no checking is going to be fail safe, only a controler. In order for the checking method to work, you would have to check at least a few times per day.

The best fail safe is to have 2 heaters controled with a controler. If one fail than the other keep the temperature. Only thing that can go wrong then is a power failure :)

Myka
10-31-2010, 03:00 AM
It always seems when heaters die they stick on. Argh! Lucky you caught it though...buy a lottery ticket today!

I keep two heaters in case one messes up it will take a lot longer for the temperature to go up.

kien
10-31-2010, 04:03 AM
My first ever tank crash was caused by a stuck heater :(. To solve this I run 3 heaters on a controller. As suggested, the controller will alarm (email, sound, text message) if something is up and will turn off the heaters. They will turn back on if the heat gets too low. In fact, one of my heaters is currently broken in this mode. I just let my controller control it. :biggrin:

reefwars
10-31-2010, 04:19 AM
Am def getting a controller for my new set up I'm prett sold on the apex, all in all this will be my first controller and I can't wait it's actually one of next investments for my build:)

I always keep Two heaters and powerheads on seperate breakers just in case of something bad happens like the fire I had a while back:0
it's a good thing I check my tank reguarly:):)

one of the main ideas for my new set up is I want it to be as auomated as possible with lots of fail safes:)

Doug
10-31-2010, 01:56 PM
Agree on the controller. Only way to go ,IMO. Never mind just the failures, I find my Ebo heaters wander all over the place.

HOWEVER, and I say it like that for a reason. Be aware the controller probes can also be a problem and need changing before going out to lunch. Sheez, I wonder how I know that. :lol: