PDA

View Full Version : live rock

pirate
10-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Well I bought 50lbs of live rock that is full of aiptsia (sp). Currently its sitting in my bath tub in fresh water, I am going to kill the rock. I dont want the aiptsia going into my new tank. I relly dont care if its live as i got it at a good price and I already have live rock in the new tank for seeding purposes.
So how long should I leave it in the fresh water to make sure that everthing is dead? 1-2 days? should I boil it after to make sure after the fact..
Any other way to kill the rock? Its going to go into a reef tank when I'm sure that nothing bad is going to come in with it.
Thanks

Coleus
10-30-2010, 08:11 PM
just boil it with your heater

Bloodasp
10-30-2010, 08:30 PM
If your going to kill the rock anyway why not just let it sit out in open air and let it dry.

pirate
10-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Well the fresh water is full of dead things that came out of the rock. So I'll change the tub water and let it sit some more, then I think Monday I'll go and get me a big pot that I can boil some rocks in. I think I'm gonna use my BBQ side burner for this so the house does not smell.
I thought about letting it dry but I think it will take to much time. So is there any reef safe chemicals that I should add to some water to make sure that there is nothing harmful on the rocks after the boiling?

darb
10-30-2010, 09:55 PM
how about bleach/chlorine?

Bloodasp
10-30-2010, 09:59 PM
same thing just wasting water and electricity, plus the chemicals you plan to add. It's freezing out at night, setting those rock out will pretty much kill anything living in the rock.