PDA

View Full Version : Average life span of a MAG pump

Biotech
12-07-2003, 12:49 AM
Came home tonight and found my MAG9.5-return-pump is dead. Luckily, the Gen-X that powers the closed-loop is functioning and all corals looked fine.
I had the MAG pump for a little bit over a year. I cleaned the pump every 4-5 months and there was no calcium build-up.
A question to all MAG users - how long do your MAG pump usually last?

Chin_Lee
12-07-2003, 01:10 AM
I have two mag 18s that have been running 24/7 for two years (except during the blackouts) and they have been great. Never cleaned them, just left them alone and they are great.
CWLee

Bryan
12-07-2003, 01:16 AM
What do you mean when it is dead?. I had a Mag 7 pump that would not work and it was because the impeller was worn. The worn impeller caused it to stick to one side of the bore and it would not rotate. New impeller fixed the problem

Biotech
12-07-2003, 03:12 AM
I took it apart and the impeller does not look worn. The pump, when plugged in, does not make any noise at all, so I doubt it is the impeller. I will get hold of another impeller and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

TANGOMAN
12-07-2003, 04:14 AM
I've been running a Mag 12 for about six years now and I clean it every five years whether it needs it or not...
Any chance it pulled sand, seized and got a "little warmer" than normal ?

Bryan
12-07-2003, 06:55 AM
Quiet often the impeller doesn't look worn, because the wear is even. I bet if you compare the diameter of a new impeller to the old you would be surprised how much is worn off the magnet.

I took it apart and the impeller does not look worn. The
pump, when plugged in, does not make any noise at all, so I doubt it is the impeller. I will get hold of another impeller and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.

StirCrazy
12-13-2003, 03:45 PM
some of mine are going on 2 years but I did have to put a impeller kit in them.

Steve