PDA

View Full Version : 50lbs White Silica Sand - Only $8

RajReef
10-29-2010, 09:43 PM
Hi Guys,

I found this place in Calgary that sells White Silica Sand but the only problem is its a little bit away from my house and it only comes is 100lb bags. So I was thinking if I can find someone who is willing to split the sand as I only need about 50lbs of it. Plus I don't know if I will be able to carry all 100lbs all by myself. So 2 people carrying it is alway better than one.

Let me know if you are interested.

Coleus
10-31-2010, 06:38 AM
is this sand safe for reef?

RajReef
10-31-2010, 08:36 PM
I am going to use it for my Saltwater tank, however, it seems there is an ongoing argument about Silica sand being used in Saltwater tank.....I have done quiet a bit of research and this is my conclusion:

Pros:

The sand on the tropical beaches are Silica sand.

There is no difference between Calcium Carbonate based sand and Silica sand as far as fishes are concerned

Silica sand is inert in your tank as long as the water has a Ph of over 7.0

Silica sand is pretty much exactly the same material as the glass walls of your tank so the argument of more diatoms growing due to Silica is a myth.

Cons:

Silica sand won't automatically buffer your tank so you have to make sure you put crushed coral or aragonite in your filter to maintain proper Ph.

After looking at the Pros and Cons and comparing the price of Carbonate sands (7 times the price of Silica Sand). I think its pretty much a no brainer.

Let me know if you are interested.

Sumfingwong
11-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Where is this store? I may be interested

daniella3d
11-20-2010, 04:06 AM
Another con, it is extremely easy to scratch an aquarium glass with this. It is the same thing they use to sandblast and it is very very abrasive.

I scratched my 120 gallons big time with it and slightest little bit that is going to get stuck somewhere in your glass cleaning process is probably going to do some dammage.

Heather
08-01-2011, 02:02 AM
Hi There,
Just wondering if I could get the name of the place that sells the silica sand in the 100lb bags. It would be much appreciated. Thank you very much!

scherzo
08-01-2011, 05:05 AM
In the lower mainland I've bought it from Lordco auto parts... I'll assume you can buy white sandblasting (silica) sand from your local auto parts store.

msjboy
08-01-2011, 06:23 AM
I bought mine locally from a sand/cement place in Burnaby BC for my venus flytraps but the brand is from Mountain Lane, Oregon ( google: oregon mountain lane ); comes in different sizes. You can find out where it is available in Alberta. I do not believe lordco sells silica sand any more for sand blasting, instead they use other types of media such as iron filings, etc.

Becareful not to inhale the dust.

msjboy