PDA

View Full Version : Rubber mat under aquarium

Sunee
10-29-2010, 02:11 PM
I've noticed some people use a rubber mat of some kind under their aquarium instead of rigid insulation. I would like to use something like this as my aquarium is in my living room.

Could you let me know where you bought the mat and if there is a special name they use for it. Thank you.

monocus
10-29-2010, 02:32 PM
neopreen-don't know if it's spelled right-home depot or rona,dicks lumber.etc

cale262
10-29-2010, 02:35 PM
I've been using some interlocking rubber/foam matting I bought from HomeDepot for years now, it comes in about 24x24 squares & is easy to cut to what ever shape you need..I can't remember what it's called but I bought it from HD and have seen it at Can-tire, Rona & Home Hardware...

Sunee
10-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Thanks guys, I'll have to check it out this weekend.

DisneyCoralReef
10-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Do you mean under the stand or literally under the tank? it's not something I had actually thought about if you are going to put a full tank on carpet. Do any of you put anything at the foot of the tank to help prevent those permanent carpet spots?

Sunee
10-29-2010, 03:28 PM
I am thinking under the aquarium, on top of the stand.

I know many people use ridgid foam insulation but my stand has a flat top and I do not want to look at the edge of insulation (besides my husband said no way as it is in our living room). I think that the neoprene / rubber matting would look a whole lot better.

DisneyCoralReef
10-29-2010, 03:32 PM

I know many people use ridgid foam insulation but my stand has a flat top and I do not want to look at the edge of insulation (besides my husband said no way as it is in our living room). I think that the neoprene / rubber matting would look a whole lot better.

Oh I had never thought of that. I would think the sand would be enough to cover what needs to be covered? a very interesting topic that never crossed my mind. Thanks for the clarification.

cale262
10-29-2010, 03:37 PM
Do you mean under the stand or literally under the tank? it's not something I had actually thought about if you are going to put a full tank on carpet. Do any of you put anything at the foot of the tank to help prevent those permanent carpet spots?

Ah,...I thought you meant under the stand...I use the rubber/foam matting between the floor and the stand...Inbetween the stand and the tank I've been using the rigid insulation (pink/blue stuff) on all but one tank, the one tank in my living room (90g FW high-tech planted) has a stand with a flat top and no trim to hide the foam so I used one of my wifes (please don't tell her) black Yoga mats, it's very thin (2/3mm) and inexpensive (to replace), She buys them at London Drugs...

DisneyCoralReef
10-29-2010, 03:39 PM
Ah...the one tank in my living room (90g FW high-tech planted) has a flat top and no rim to hide the foam so I took one of my wifes (please don't tell her) black Yoga mats, it's very thin (2/3mm) and inexpensive (to replace), She buys them at London Drugs...

:lol: bahahhhahaha!! you didn't!

cale262
10-29-2010, 03:42 PM
:lol: bahahhhahaha!! you didn't!

......That's right....No I DIDN'T...:wink:

mark
10-29-2010, 10:33 PM

I'm using the pink foam
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/P1270021.jpg

Sunee
11-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Mark, thanks. I had thought about covering insulation with moulding but I would rather work with a mat (I think). Thanks again.