PDA

View Full Version : Stinkin' Cleaner Shrimp

paddyob
10-29-2010, 02:25 AM
So today I bought a cleaner shrimp.

He was looking great in the store and even after I drip acclimated him he looked fine. He was hanging out on a rock.... and I kid you not.... he literally just seized up and rolled onto his side while I was watching him. I asked my wife to come see the new addition and HE FRICKEN FLOPPED OVER!?!?!? Just like that?!?

WTF??!?!

Everything else in my tank (inverts included) are fine and I have lost nothing since starting to add livestock 3 weeks ago.

The water has tested fine so I can't understand what the heck happened. I know shrimp can be sensitive to change... but the fact he literally keeled over while I was looking at him?????

Anyone seen this happen before?

jorjef
10-29-2010, 02:31 AM
Maybe he had a double down for lunch.... :^)

reefwars
10-29-2010, 02:51 AM
Could be age and luck of the draw was he big??

paddyob
10-29-2010, 02:59 AM
Could be age and luck of the draw was he big??

No he was on the smaller size....and again he looked perfect at Red Coral so I can't understand it.

legendboy
10-29-2010, 03:08 AM
No he was on the smaller size....and again he looked perfect at Red Coral so I can't understand it.

same thing happened to me with a sea hare i rented from red coral. felt pretty dumb for killing it lol

paddyob
10-29-2010, 04:27 PM
I am still ****ed it died like that without explanation. I am going to retest my water today but I can't see that being the issue.

Ross
10-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Temperature shock?

Lampshade
10-29-2010, 10:10 PM
I had a heater stick on awhile ago, first thing that died where the shrimp. Seems they are pretty temperature sensitive. I second the possible temperature shock.

BlueWorldAquatic
10-29-2010, 10:21 PM
I know we get some shrimp in lately that didn't like the transition to Edmonton water. My supplers replaced them for us though.

Ken