PDA

View Full Version : Best bang for the buck activated carbon ?

andestang
10-28-2010, 05:47 AM
Just curious what people are using for activated carbon. Whats the best bang for the buck with keeping in mind for being used in a SPS/LPS system. Do you use a reactor or just a filter sock ?

christyf5
10-28-2010, 10:48 AM
best carbon I ever used was rox but its a bugger to get around here and is pricey. I currently use Kent in a reactor and it gets the job done nicely, i've been using Kent for about 3 years now.

PoonTang
10-28-2010, 11:11 AM
best carbon I ever used was rox but its a bugger to get around here and is pricey. I currently use Kent in a reactor and it gets the job done nicely, i've been using Kent for about 3 years now.

That's not a good sign seeing you up at this time of night. :(

mark
10-28-2010, 12:45 PM
If you believe the packaging, they all figure they're the best. How can the hobbyist measure?

BlueTang<3
10-28-2010, 01:04 PM
I use the bulk reef supply rox carbon run it in a two little fishes reactor with some nylon at the top to hold it in it is tiny stuff. But it by the 5 gallon pail and it works out to be pretty cheap. I bought half a pail last time about a year ago still got a lot left. I run 1 small cup changed out every 2 weeks or when i fell:redface:.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/carbon-and-gfo/bulk-carbon/rox-0-8-high-performance-carbon/15-pounds-5-gallons-premium-rox-0-8-aquarium-carbon.html

michika
10-28-2010, 01:23 PM
I use Rox and a reactor. I love the stuff!

kien
10-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Rox from a 5 gal pail. Got it last jan and hardly seems like I've made a dent in it! I use about a cup a month. Run in TLF reactor. If you are curious to try some you can have some of mine if you like. My pail will probably last a few years :LOL:

Delphinus
10-28-2010, 03:23 PM
+1 on the Rox. It rocks! No really, it rocks. Rox rocks. I realize I sound like an idiot but I really mean it.

I had bought some months ago but held off on using it because I "wanted to finish the old stuff first." When I finally did I couldn't believe the difference, if I could have foreseen how much difference it would make over the previous stuff I would have just tossed the old stuff out without using it. And the old stuff was pretty pricey premium stuff too!

Rox for me from now on. Sounds like Kien's method of buying a ridiculous amount is the way to go. I bought two containers of 1/2 gallon size and I can see myself using that up fairly quickly..

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/1-5-pounds-half-gallon-premium-rox-0-8-aquarium-carbon.html

LMK if you order some .. I might probably go in with you so we could save a wee bit on shipping. There are a couple things at BRS I've been eye'ing but I've been waiting to get a little less broke first.

globaldesigns
10-28-2010, 04:12 PM
I use Kent Reef carbon

Skimmerking
10-28-2010, 04:20 PM
I bought 15 lbs from BWI and man that stuff is amazing....

it filled a 5 gal pail.. i usually go from GFO for 3 weeks and then use Carbon for a month and then GFO

globaldesigns
10-28-2010, 05:25 PM
I bought 15 lbs from BWI and man that stuff is amazing....

it filled a 5 gal pail.. i usually go from GFO for 3 weeks and then use Carbon for a month and then GFO

You talking about Rox? Never heard of this carban, where can I get some in Calgary? I use Kent, as I can get it, been trying for some time to get the Zeo Carbon (expensive, but wanted to try it), but it has been backordered everywhere forever.

NanoHuman
10-28-2010, 10:43 PM
I like to refer to this blog post when it comes to Carbon related matters.

http://joejaworski.wordpress.com/2008/05/09/does-a-reef-tank-need-carbon/

Doug
10-28-2010, 11:07 PM
I like to refer to this blog post when it comes to Carbon related matters.

http://joejaworski.wordpress.com/2008/05/09/does-a-reef-tank-need-carbon/

Good link. I have always thought similar and still do. I recently took advantage of some bulk carbon sales at BWI. Bought another 5 lbs. Also use Black Diamond regular and purchased some carbon pellets from BRS to give a try with.

I run both passive and in a reactor but dont see much difference as the article states. Large difference with gfo but not carbon, at least IMO.